Mega Thread RIO 2016 - General Discussion Thread for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games (3rd Aug to 21st Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

its hard to remember as ive being in melbourne for almost 5 years now, think hes being in media since about 2009, someone from w.a can probably help me out
He's been on Seven in Perth since around the late 90's. He started out hosting his own footy show on Sunday's before the news, then became the main sports presenter on the weekly news in 2002 IIRC, when Dennis left for Channel 9, and he's been there ever since. He does host Telethon over here, so that's at least a redeeming quality.

I missed this part of the pole vault finals...but patriotic US pole vaulter.

If there was a gold medal for patriotism, many of The United State’s Olympic athletes would have been contenders, but perhaps none more so than pole vaulter Sam Kendricks.

Last week, while competing in a qualifying run, Kendricks stopped mid-sprint, lowered the pole from his shoulder and stood at attention as America’s National Anthem was played for a medal ceremony in another part of the stadium.

When the anthem was done, he picked up the pole and returned to his event.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/us...e-power-of-patriotism-while-competing-in-rio/

Isnt there a time limit in the PV , or is that only to start the run in the same way the 30 second clock stops if a player takes a few steps?

The time limit is 2mins but I assume that it doesn't count for when they stop for the national anthems that are played after each medal ceremony.

I watched pretty much the entire women's pole vault final and they stopped multiple times for various anthems, regardless of which nation's anthem or the nationality of the athlete about to jump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we should have tried chucking an American flag in the pool to see if Phelps would stop to save it.
Or put a bong at the end of the lane to see if he'd stop to smoke it

I'm going to criticise NBC.

The idea of a US brodacaster basically dictating what time a host city runs it's athletics and swimming finals has to be called out as drastically unfair and unreasonable.

To have athletics finals from 9.30pm Rio time and swimming finals from 11pm Rio time to capitalise on prime time tv ratings in the US is just not on. the athletes of all countries come first - that has to be the motto in terms of Olympic presentation.

I'm going to criticise NBC.

The idea of a US brodacaster basically dictating what time a host city runs it's athletics and swimming finals has to be called out as drastically unfair and unreasonable.

To have athletics finals from 9.30pm Rio time and swimming finals from 11pm Rio time to capitalise on prime time tv ratings in the US is just not on. the athletes of all countries come first - that has to be the motto in terms of Olympic presentation.
Beijings swimming finals were in the am beijing time I recall

NBC pump a crazy amount of money into the IOC and having attended 3 games you realise how big the American influence is on the games. They have thousands and thousands of people travel to the Olympics to watch, the major sponsors are USA based and they are the best performing country and swimming is high rating in the states. Unfortunately the athletes have to deal with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back