Summer RIO 2016 - Rugby (Sevens) 6th to 11th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished the group in 3rd due to points difference. South Africa, France and Australia all finished on 7 points

Likely to play South Africa again in the quarter finals as 1st in Pool B plays the best 3rd place finisher which we are likely to be. If not, its Fiji

Finished the group in 3rd due to points difference. South Africa, France and Australia all finished on 7 points

Likely to play South Africa again in the quarter finals as 1st in Pool B plays the best 3rd place finisher which we are likely to be. If not, its Fiji

We finished 2nd, it goes H2H matchup before for and against

We finished 2nd, it goes H2H matchup before for and against

I think when 3 teams are on the same number of points (all with 1 win, 1 loss against those teams, thus impossible to split on head to head) it goes to for and against. We need to hope that at least one of Fiji or GB go through their pool undefeated. Otherwise every pool could have 3 teams on 7 points and we could miss out with the worst for and against.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think when 3 teams are on the same number of points (all with 1 win, 1 loss against those teams, thus impossible to split on head to head) it goes to for and against. We need to hope that at least one of Fiji or GB go through their pool undefeated. Otherwise every pool could have 3 teams on 7 points and we could miss out with the worst for and against.

I'm confused now, I was going off wiki and we were 2nd and that has changed to 3rd but it still says H2H is taken into account before F+A. It makes a huge difference because if we are 2nd we will play Japan.

Doesn't really matter we will make the Qrts.

If either the Brits beat NZ or Fiji beat USA (or both) then yes. Looking good though - GB are 21-0 up over NZ at half time. New Zealand are now in serious danger of missing out on the quarters.

I'm confused now, I was going off wiki and we were 2nd and that has changed to 3rd but it still says H2H is taken into account before F+A. It makes a huge difference because if we are 2nd we will play Japan.

Link I provided above is to a live table - we are currently the best third place team and playing South Africa again

Yes but when 3 teams are tied like this you can't split by head to head. Australia beat South Africa, who beat France who beat Australia.

Well its likely we'll get Fiji vs New Zealand in the quarter final, just wow

With Argentina likely to beat Brazil, Fiji could be temped to let the US get the win to avoid the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back