Summer RIO 2016 - Rugby (Sevens) 6th to 11th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Even though they still lost that comeback from NZ could prove crucial. Their for and against is now +19 ... USA's is currently +23. So if the USA lose to Fiji by more than 4 points NZ will go through.

Even though they still lost that comeback from NZ could prove crucial. Their for and against is now +19 ... USA's is currently +23. So if the USA lose to Fiji by more than 4 points NZ will go through.
And if USA win NZ gone, if I was Fiji I would have a serious think about that.

Fiji would have to be pretty careful, if they could somehow lose by 2 points then that would be great but if USA win by more than 6 then they'll overtake Fiji and Argentina could well go past them as well the way they're playing vs Brazil.
And yet to eliminate NZ with no risk of your own elimination, it is just something I would think about.

Well NZ through. I think Fiji half wanted USA to win but they are that much better at the breakdown they couldn't lose even if they were trying to.
1 point let's see if they end up regretting that decision.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
That conversion at the end would have got USA through. But they blew other chances too and have themselves to blame really. Amazing that NZ scrape in by a single point! Now Fiji have to play them in the quarters - not really the greatest reward for going through undefeated as top seed. And Fiji have looked pretty vulnerable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

danou75

Draftee
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was just reading the Fiji coach's comments in the paper saying he didn't think little old Fiji could handle the big occasions. He thought that way when he was England's coach.
He obviously didn't know the history of sevens through the eighties and nineties then.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Fiji absolutely crushing it. Their offloading game is unstoppable when they're on form and it's awesome to see them do it when it counts. The first half was a demonstration in sevens. First ever Olympic medal, first gold medal coming their way! They'll be having an amazing party in Fiji right now.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Rugby 7's is going to be hard to beat as the moment of the Games for mine. Both the Mens and Womens.

Great sport to have in the games.

Was great seeing the Fijians after the game, means a lot to them. Great story, and even better they did it without the mercenary Hayne,

danou75

Draftee
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That respect the Fijians showed Princess Anne when receiving their medals, getting down on their knees.

Champions.
I remember at the opening ceremony of the Kuala Lumpur commonwealth games when the Tongan team reached the area where some royalty were sitting. They all stopped, turned towards the royals (can't remember who it was) and all bowed.

Justice Fiji won the Rugby Sevens. I remember watching the Hong Kong Sevens in the 1980's and being enthralled by it because of its speed and more excitement than watching a test match where defence was so much more important than attack. But in was the Fijians in the late 1980's and then in 1990's that made Rugby Sevens into such a great spectacle that the game could take off world wide and eventually ended up in the Olympics. I loved watching Fijian captain and play maker/scrum half Waisale Severi. They absolutely smashed the Brits.

Last edited:
Back