Remove this Banner Ad

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Starts on Saturday 6th August.
With the finals/medal matches spread over the weekend Friday 12th to Sunday 14th August.
Centre Court plus 9 other courts.

Odds:
Djokovic $1.91
Murray $3.25
Nadal $15
Wawrinka $15
Nishikori $26

Williams $2.20
Muguruza $5
Kerber $11
Kvitova $13
Radwanksa $15

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I hope no one else pulls out from Rio
did u post this before or after the Bryan Brothers pulled out. ;)

I think those who were going to pull out, have done so by this stage. Williams and Joker/Nadal/Murray/Fed(forgiven) are great leaders in the sport and its Olympic place.

should we have one here or in the tennis sub forum?

did u post this before or after the Bryan Brothers pulled out. ;)

I think those who were going to pull out, have done so by this stage. Williams and Joker/Nadal/Murray/Fed(forgiven) are great leaders in the sport and its Olympic place.

should we have one here or in the tennis sub forum?

after the Bryan Brothers pulled out lol It's disappointing that some of the other top 20 players pulled out, like Milos.

We should keep the Olympic tennis forum here?

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/news/thompson-earns-rio-tennis-spot
Jordan Thompson will now be representing Australia alongside John Millman and Thanasi Kokkinakis in the singles for the men with Peers and Guccione in the doubles. Sam Stosur and Daria Gavrilova will represent us in the women's singles and doubles. John Peers and Sam Stosur will be our representatives in the mixed presumably . Don't think we're much chance to do anything outside of the doubles events maybe with Guccione and Peers seeded 7th in the men's doubles.

Last edited:
Nadal is in Rio but undecided if he will play....

Rafael Nadal remains unsure if he will be able to represent Spain at the Rio Olympics as his fitness concerns linger.

Nadal, who beat Chilean Fernando Gonzalez to win men's singles gold at the Beijing Games in 2008, withdrew from the French Open with a wrist injury and also missed Wimbledon.

"I will not be at the best level in any of the categories," Nadal told journalists after arriving in Brazil on Sunday.

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/new...re-deciding-if-he-will-compete-at-in-olympics

Surprised Nadal has left it this late to decide

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The rodionova sisters also got a call up to the doubles.

This looks like a real chance for French domination in all doubles with mahut and Herbert the top ranked doubles pair, mladenovic and garcia the top ranked female team and mixed of any of those 4 also tipped to make the medal rounds. In saying that Serena and Venus have an impeccable record in olympic tennis, it's great that it means so much to them.

Serena the favourite buy Kerber is playing well so it would be fitting for them to play off in their third major final of the year.

Djokovic with the chance to claim his first olympic gold, but Andy does so well representing his country/team GB so they will battle out the final you'd imagine. A monfils is in good form so he could cause an upset. Can't see anyone else getting to the final.

Aussie representation should be done by the end of the 2nd round unfortunately.

As I continue my trip I am heading to rio and have 3 days at the tennis. I will do my best to keep you updated on the ground over there. I am incredibly pumped!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just some general news I have heard over the last couple of days

- A flight from Montreal to Miami, which was the connection to Rio for a lot of women tennis players, was cancelled the day after the premier event in that city. AS most flights to Rio are fully booked atm, several players have got delayed by a day or 2 arriving into rio. these include the Italians of Errani and Vinci and the Russians of Vesnina and Makarova. the biggest "amazing race" type solution to this problem was Radwanksa. She went from NY to Lisbon, Portugal, to Rio. very creative.

- Murray will carry the flag for Great Britain. Wozniacki will for Denmark as well.

- The draw is out. will shamelessly copy twitter for the best round 1 matches.

Serena-Gavrilova (ouch, have a nice Olympic experience dasha)
Muguruza-Jankovic (i think Muguruza will medal. cant see Jankovic winning anything ever again)
Stephens-Bouchard (god knows)
Ivanovic-Suarez Navarro (see above)

Joker - Juan Martin del Potro....Bronze match from London.
Murray - Viktor Troicki another tough match for highly rated seed.

Just some general news I have heard over the last couple of days

- A flight from Montreal to Miami, which was the connection to Rio for a lot of women tennis players, was cancelled the day after the premier event in that city. AS most flights to Rio are fully booked atm, several players have got delayed by a day or 2 arriving into rio. these include the Italians of Errani and Vinci and the Russians of Vesnina and Makarova. the biggest "amazing race" type solution to this problem was Radwanksa. She went from NY to Lisbon, Portugal, to Rio. very creative.

- Murray will carry the flag for Great Britain. Wozniacki will for Denmark as well.

- The draw is out. will shamelessly copy twitter for the best round 1 matches.

Serena-Gavrilova (ouch, have a nice Olympic experience dasha)
Muguruza-Jankovic (i think Muguruza will medal. cant see Jankovic winning anything ever again)
Stephens-Bouchard (god knows)
Ivanovic-Suarez Navarro (see above)

Joker - Juan Martin del Potro....Bronze match from London.
Murray - Viktor Troicki another tough match for highly rated seed.
Insane opening round matches for Novak and a day considering the lack of depth in the tournament.

Novak has a very tough match! But he should win.

Some other matches

Men’s singles – notable matches

Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs Juan Martín del Potro (ARG)

Malek Jaziri (TUN) vs Jo Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)

Rafel Nadal (ESP) vs Federico Delbonis (ARG)

Borna Coric (CRO) vs Gilles Simon (FRA)

Gael Monfils (FRA) vs Vasek Pospisil (CAN)

Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs Marin Cilic (CRO)

Albert Ramos (ESP) vs Kei Nishikori (JPN)

David Ferrer (ESP) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)

Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs Andy Murray (GBR)

Women’s singles – notable matches

Serena Williams (USA) vs Daria Gabrilova (AUS)

Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) vs Jelena Jankovic (SRB)

Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) vs Shuai Zhang (CHN)

Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) vs Venus Williams (USA)

Ana Ivanovic (SRB) vs Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP)

Saisai Zheng (CHN) vs Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)

Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) vs Sloane Stephens (USA)

Mariana Duque Marino (COL) vs Angelique Kerber (GER)

http://tennismash.com/2016/08/05/olympics-djokovic-draws-delpo-in-first-round/

Djokovic and Del Potro is the highlight of the first round, but I think Dimitrov and Cilic will also be an interesting contest from the Men's side of the draw.

Some great match-ups in the Women's draw. Interested to see how well Dasha goes against Serena Williams and looking forward to the match between Genie and Sloane Stephens.

Not sure why Groth would bother going all the way down to Rio. 2 and 4 loss to Donaldson last week.

The djokovic/del potro matchup is absurd for first round, Novak will win but still absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back