Scandal Rio Tinto Sponsorship of the AFL. What's next, Tobacco or Taliban sponsorship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Baron Gil Of McLauglinland will be in deep cover today. After a story in today's Guardian (see link below) there will be pressure on him to explain why the AFL continues to accept sponsorship dollars from disgraced pariah company Rio Tinto.

Almost 20 years ago Taliban religious zealots destroyed two massive Buddhist statues in Afghanistan. They rendered the 2000 yo statues to dust via rockets. This year Rio Tinto destroyed 45,000 year old Aboriginal sites in WA. They similarly blew them up.

The scandal led to the heads of the CEO and few other execs being placed on spikes, but the company will be keen to move on. Its government relations and PR crews complete with a few buckets of sponsorship $s will be super active.

Baron Gil loves Indigenous Round and the chance to pontificate like a sanctimonious small L Tory. However he does not do much when issues get serious. When some quite conservative corporate sector folk voice concern about the actions of the rogue company, surely it is time for Baron Gil to have a look over the parapets of his castle.

I suspect the AFL media flunkies will be out and about today cooling the jets of any sports journo who has the gumption to query whether the AFL should take $'s from Rio Tinto.

Woke capitalism.

It's the same with Sydney - they participate in the gay pride match and yet gladly accept $$$ from Qatar.

It's astounding how stupid they think we are.

Woke capitalism.

It's the same with Sydney - they participate in the gay pride match and yet gladly accept $$$ from Qatar.

Good point.

Yeah happy for Qatar to nick off as well.

Wasn't aware of this. Highly disappointing.

Woke capitalism.

I don't think they think we're stupid, nor are they hiding it. They just know we won't do anything, and that their product is still safe.

Rio Tinto only play to the rules that govern them in the country, Unless legislated and huge fines apply and jail, they wont give a s**t

We're still ruled by gambling which destroys more. Not defending Rio Tinto. But, Money

The only way change will happen is from within the playing group.

The AFL couldn’t care less about its supporter base until it starts hurting at a membership level, gate level or viewing level and we all know that isn’t going to happen

we whinge constantly about the live betting and how in your face it is and guess what..... crickets from the afl

it’s up to us and it’s just not going to happen

Baron Gil Of McLauglinland will be in deep cover today. After a story in today's Guardian (see link below) there will be pressure on him to explain why the AFL continues to accept sponsorship dollars from disgraced pariah company Rio Tinto.
Along similar lines, it's why I've distanced myself from RMIT my alma mata, no longer support them, and won't send my kids there.

They took my HECS fees, and gave it to an organization that implemented a "performance improvement program" to help their players get an unfair advantage. The fallout of which dragged the entire code through the mud for years.

Unforgivable.

The AFL might think people are stupid, in which case they're more right than wrong. Can't go a day around here without witnessing proof of that, and this thread is a prime example.

If Rio Tinto offers the ultimatum of "it's us or Indigenous Round" to the league, guess what, Indigenous Round wins. Likewise, the Swans will continue to be involved in the Pride Match, whether Qatar Airways likes it or not. The conundrum rests with the corporate partners, not the AFL.

For those who disagree with me, feel free to press that menacing thumbs-down button, thereby demonstrating just how intelligent you really are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Taliban blew up religious sites because they are zealots.

There was no such malice in what Rio Tinto did. There wasn't a group of white men in a meeting saying "how can we blow up ancient aboriginal caves?"

well there was actually
They were well aware of the significance, They had meetings where it was clearly shown there were alternatives, they were well aware what they were doing - they’ve just been surprised at the backlash

ISIS cruise around in Hiluxes.

Yet the AFL continue to accept cash from Toyota.

Disgraceful.

Other AFL sponsors....

Carlton Draught - alcohol bad
Coca Cola - sugary drinks bad
Coles - they sell all sorts of bad s**t
McDonalds - fat kids bad
Nab - bank that (probably) funds various bad things and non woke activities

AFL should really just go back to being amateur so they don't have to keep taking money from evil corporate organisations

Rio Tinto only play to the rules that govern them in the country, Unless legislated and huge fines apply and jail, they wont give a sh*t

We're still ruled by gambling which destroys more. Not defending Rio Tinto. But, Money

Geez it’s a harsh comparison. On the one hand you have bunch of psychopaths determined to roll out a distorted and anti-humanist ideology which lines their pockets, and is aided and abetted by powerful global figures, and on the other hand you have the Taliban.

At least the Taliban had a vested long-term interest in Afghanistan, Rio will just blow it all up and walk away when they can’t suck anymore cash out of it.

There was no such malice in what Rio Tinto did. There wasn't a group of white men in a meeting saying "how can we blow up ancient aboriginal caves?"
Except there was a couple, in which case yeah they did decide to blow up aboriginal caves because of money

Almost 20 years ago Taliban religious zealots destroyed two massive Buddhist statues in Afghanistan. They rendered the 2000 yo statues to dust via rockets. This year Rio Tinto destroyed 45,000 year old Aboriginal sites in WA. They similarly blew them up.

The scandal led to the heads of the CEO and few other execs being placed on spikes, but the company will be keen to move on. Its government relations and PR crews complete with a few buckets of sponsorship $s will be super active.

Baron Gil loves Indigenous Round and the chance to pontificate like a sanctimonious small L Tory. However he does not do much when issues get serious. When some quite conservative corporate sector folk voice concern about the actions of the rogue company, surely it is time for Baron Gil to have a look over the parapets of his castle.

I suspect the AFL media flunkies will be out and about today cooling the jets of any sports journo who has the gumption to query whether the AFL should take $'s from Rio Tinto.

I presume QBE has no investment in RIO?

well there was actually
They were well aware of the significance, They had meetings where it was clearly shown there were alternatives, they were well aware what they were doing - they’ve just been surprised at the backlash
Except there was a couple, in which case yeah they did decide to blow up aboriginal caves because of money

I don't think they blew up the sites because of the cultural significance. Semantics, they are corporate jerks either way.

Rio and the AFL are a good match if you ask me. Tokenist corporations who say one thing and do the other when money comes into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back