Summer Rio - Worst olympics in living memory

Remove this Banner Ad

For a number of reasons, ive found these olympics to be awful. The biggest reason being our athletes failing to live up to expectations and falling short. The campbell sisters and our swim team, the hockey, water polo, BMX'ers, Opals. And topped off with our Boomers playing an awesome tournament only to be robbed by a referee with 5 seconds left in the Bronze medal game.

Then there is Rio itself. Barely fit enough to host the olympics. Dirty water, Zika virus, dangerous city, venues not up to scratch. Not exactly going to draw a lot of tourists to the games. And it showed in the crowd attendances. How can Usain Bolt be running in the 200m final with BLOCKS of seats empty?

And finally we have the scandals. The Irishman who was blatantly cheated out of a win by corrupt officials in a boxing match. The olympic official who was arrested in his bathrobe. The Egyptian judo athlete refusing to shake hands with the Israeli. Brazilian crowds constantly booing foreign athletes, even when receiving a medal at the ceremony. The russian athletes banned for drug doping.

These games were s**t. If a major sporting event is never held in Brazil again it will be too soon.

images

To be fair virtually everything he said was true. Worst games since Atlanta - with the piss-poor attendance especially at the Olympic stadium being the worst factor
Yeah I know, was just a response to his obvious anger at the Boomers game smh

Green pool, blue running track, no red kite banner in the cycling road race. Fans who have no idea about half the sports. Its up there with India's Comm games.

Stadiums 3/4 empty, fans booing competitors, corruption galore, even little things like the marathon not finishing in the olympic stadium s**t me. At least Atlanta filled the stands.

worst games I can remember.

Green pool, blue running track, no red kite banner in the cycling road race. Fans who have no idea about half the sports. Its up there with India's Comm games.
The Indian Comm games are the clear leader here. At least 3 Australian companies went bankrupt after doing work for them (following Melbourne in 2006), and were never paid, and still haven't been.

I really don't think anyone wants to bid for the Olympics past 2024 (those bids are well advanced) - but the number of cities that have had their residents say 'No way' gives me hope that whole sordid mess of the Olympics will soon be shut down.

I love most sports - some more than others - but I hate the whole 'Olympic' thing, except for laughs.

The only thing keeping it going is sponsorship - Nike, McDonalds, Zumbo, Optus......................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of the positives, guys. We all now know about things such as Zumbo, Home & Away plane crash, Durrells and Jessica Mauboy in the role she was born to play.

I thought it was fine too. Watching the closing ceremony now I'm starting to feel a little sad it's over.

My only issue was with the telecast feeling like it showed the same 5 sports for 95% of the time. I feel like I didn't get as full an experience as previous years even though I watched every minute I was able to.

It will be a modern Olympic Games. There stadium and venues will be state of the art

They could get away with using existing facilities and it would already crap over Rio.

I think the Tokyo games are going to be something spectacular. The pools will be blue, the track will be red, the facilities will be out of this world, and tourists will flock there.

Rio will go down as one of the worst Olympics in living memory - scandal after scandal, and empty stands galore. Having said that, there will still be some great Australian moments from the games - Kyle Chalmers, Chloe Esposito, among others.

Ch7 horrible telecast made it even worse. Compared to last Olympics where Foxtel had 8+ channels going at once, and pretty much every event was televised.

Anyway Tokyo will make these Olympics look like an amateur school track meet.

Japan will do a fantastic job and have people packing the stadiums. Also they wont boo other countries as they are very nice people.
Well I agree but it depends how far back you go.... Japanese have committed some of the worst war crimes imaginable and never properly apologised or been held to account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back