Rioli injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit sad about our 2008 reunion.

Mitchell, Hodge, Buddy, Ellis, Dew, Lewis and others have commitments with other teams that limit their time.... Crawf is in Russia, Cyril at home... Cambell Brown is probably in Russia too on a sportsman trip.

Mitchell, Hodge, Buddy, Ellis, Dew, Lewis and others have commitments with other teams that limit their time.... Crawf is in Russia, Cyril at home... Cambell Brown is probably in Russia too on a sportsman trip.
Wish the club could have rearranged the date. It is a celebration of a GREAT day for all involved on that brilliant day 10 years ago!! Way too many important names missing imo.

Reunions need more congestion, let's set up a state of the Reunion committee, I would suggest the we get Brishawk to crunch the numbers to identify when the drop off started, I will need stats and graphs none of which can be fudged to show bias and then a ten step plan on how we can get 2008 players back for a reunion.
Reunions need more congestion.

Wink.

Last edited:
My loyalty is to Hawthorn, not Rioli. The club always comes first, and the club is always bigger than the individual. Players come and go, the club is forever.

Ironically I suggested we trade him right after the 2016 season. Naturally some of the "wise heads" on this board scoffed at the idea, but in hindsight it was at the height of his value and would've set us up with two top 10 picks - for a player who's hardly played since and typically underwhelmed when he has.
You're still an idiot for suggesting it.

My loyalty is to Hawthorn, not Rioli. The club always comes first, and the club is always bigger than the individual. Players come and go, the club is forever.

Ironically I suggested we trade him right after the 2016 season. Naturally some of the "wise heads" on this board scoffed at the idea, but in hindsight it was at the height of his value and would've set us up with two top 10 picks - for a player who's hardly played since and typically underwhelmed when he has.
Think you may have been right from a value point of view.
Club always 1st, 2nd and third for me also but think team as well, teams need a soul and at the end of 2016 a large part of that was cut away with Mitchell and Lewis departing, Rioli for mine would have been too much.

Think you may have been right from a value point of view.
Club always 1st, 2nd and third for me also but think team as well, teams need a soul and at the end of 2016 a large part of that was cut away with Mitchell and Lewis departing, Rioli for mine would have been too much.

In the 1980s a deal was done, in principle, where Gary Ablett would return to Hawthorn in trades for, as I recall, Peter Curran, Chris Witman and someone else (can't remember who offhand). That would have given us a half forward line of Ablett, Brereton, Buckenara with Dunstall at the pointy end. Not bad.

But the deal was vetoed at the last minute by the Hawthorn board because they felt that giving up 3 loyal clubmen would undermine the culture and core values of the club. As much as Ablett returning to Hawthorn would have given us a sensational forward line, sacrificing 3 quality loyal people (not commodities but people) would have had serious adverse consequences on the remaining players and the rank and file supporters.

Yes, the club comes first but it's not much of a club if you shred its core values and undermine its culture. Those values are something we've protected fiercely for decades - something other clubs (for example, Essendon and St Kilda) have been striving for over the same period but have never achieved.

Imagine if the club had announced end of 2016 - "we're cutting Cyril (he goes with our best wishes) but, great news, we've got a number 4 draft pick in the next draft".

It's one thing to ease out champions like Hodge and Mitchell, and Tuck, when they're facing retirement, but you'd be really crossing the line if you treated a loyal and iconic person like Cyril as a commodity to trade "at the height of his value".

Last edited:
In the 1980s a deal was done, in principle, where Gary Ablett would return to Hawthorn in trades for, as I recall, Peter Curran, Chris Witman and someone else (can't remember who offhand). That would have given us a half forward line of Ablett, Brereton, Buckenara with Dunstall at the pointy end. Not bad.

But the deal was vetoed at the last minute by the Hawthorn board because they felt that giving up 3 loyal clubmen would undermine the culture and core values of the club. As much as Ablett returning Hawthorn would have given us a sensational forward line, sacrificing 3 quality loyal people (not commodities but people) would have had serious adverse consequences on the remaining players and the rank and file supporters.

Yes, the club comes first but it's not much of a club if you shred its core values and undermine its culture. Those values are something we've protected fiercely for decades - something other clubs (for example, Essendon and St Kilda) have been striving for over the same period but have never achieved.

Imagine if the club had announced end of 2016 - "we're cutting Cyril (he goes with our best wishes) but, great news, we've got a number 4 draft pick in the next draft".

It's one thing to ease out champions like Hodge and Mitchell, and Tuck, when they're facing retirement, but you'd be really crossing the line if you treated a loyal and iconic person like Cyril as a commodity to trade "at the height of his value".
Um I think we agree, only I said as much with fewer words:rainbow::thumbsu:

Getting off topic

Many years ago Richmond prized Patura out of South Melbourne and gave 'Whale' Roberts to the Swans.
It cut the soul out of the Tigers and the Swans did not benefit either.
Even though it it cut and thrust in this era - Clubs have to be mighty careful.

Don’t know why it would of been held mid season anyway when there are still guys playing and of course coaching

Not a lot of thought really
Cheaper catering & can get away hiring a smaller room/hall.

According to Campbell Browns tweet this arvo the only 3 who will not be in attendance will be Crawford, Dew and Rioli

According to Campbell Browns tweet this arvo the only 3 who will not be in attendance will be Crawford, Dew and Rioli

Just noticed Brisbane and Melbourne have the bye and of course the eagles play in Sydney tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyril's had enough, doesn't want to do it anymore. Really looking like the end is here, what a shame
to see all that talent disappear.
You obviously spoke with him today - can you tell him that we wish him all the best?!

Nice try. From what l know Cyril is cooked. l hope he has a change of mind but l doubt it.
Cooked is a term generally used when referring to a player’s body.

See Gibbo last year.

Is Cyril cooked or does he no longer want to play?

Lots of general sources this week suggesting that he was raring to go & really keen to play in Silk’s 350th (a few posts in this thread stating same).

Are you suggesting that he lost his will midweek & shot-off home; that he’d lost it mid re-hab, but re-habbed anyway, only to lose it the week of his return game; or, as is most plausible, that he got news from NT that required him to put the world on hold & address, prior to coming back?

Cooked is a term generally used when referring to a player’s body.

See Gibbo last year.

Is Cyril cooked or does he no longer want to play?

Lots of general sources this week suggesting that he was raring to go & really keen to play in Silk’s 350th (a few posts in this thread stating same).

Are you suggesting that he lost his will midweek & shot-off home; that he’d lost it mid re-hab, but re-habbed anyway, only to lose it the week of his return game; or, as is most plausible, that he got news from NT that required him to put the world on hold & address, prior to coming back?
More he wants to go home, doesn't want to play. It should be remembered he had thoughts on retiring when his dad was sick. We'll just
have to wait.

More he wants to go home, doesn't want to play. It should be remembered he had thoughts on retiring when his dad was sick. We'll just
have to wait.
We won leave it for tomorrow

But the deal was vetoed at the last minute by the Hawthorn board because they felt that giving up 3 loyal clubmen would undermine the culture and core values of the club. As much as Ablett returning Hawthorn would have given us a sensational forward line, sacrificing 3 quality loyal people (not commodities but people) would have had serious adverse consequences on the remaining players and the rank and file supporters.

Cyril is untouchable. Loved by all, especially the kids. Not a chance we would move him on, tell em their dreamin!

Awesome post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back