Rioli to the Midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We should have no defenders or forwards at all. All 18 players should be in the midfield. its obviously where every player wants to be!
#everyonetothemidfield
images

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Last year there were a few games where he was 2nd only to Gaff in ground covered.
I had to do a double take as I couldn't believe. Since then I kept an eye on it and he was a regular top 5 in km covered.
After another pre-season and with more weight shredded I don't think his tank can be questioned.
Pretty sure he has been training and setting himself for more midfield time and I think he will get it.

I can see him becoming the most dangerous resting mid in the comp when he goes fwd.

Ahhhh the luxury.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
How exciting is 2019 looking because of this bloke.

I don’t think anyone on here expected Willie to have any real impact last year.

Yet come Round 1 he looms as one of our most genuinely exciting players. And not just exciting like someone who might take a couple of species here and there. But someone who can legit seriously impact games.

Presuming he has a full preseason, knowing he has slotted into professional footy perfectly - he’s going to be going in to the season full of confidence.

Haven’t been as excited as this to see a player at the start of a new season for a long long time

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

well, I just hope cricket comes with a big box of tissues!?
How exciting is 2019 looking because of this bloke.
Haven’t been as excited as this to see a player at the start of a new season for a long long time
And not just Willy. Shueperman reckons he can improve this season. Gaff will have a point to prove.
Ryan should step up (if injury free). Shep back. The positive influences from the new Wafl team.
Sheed, NN, and a host of others really, can expect good things to happen, including the newbies and youngsters.
Got a real solid base to build on now. Don't see us having a flat year after the GF, too much competition within.
But another flag 'aint easy..

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t think anyone on here expected Willie to have any real impact last year.

Not trying to be cocky but I knew he would be good the moment westcoast called out his name in the draft. Also called for him to debut in the QF last year along with NicNat. What did surprise me is how impactful he is up the ground. Absolute weapon this bloke, tough a fuq too.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Not trying to be cocky but I knew he would be good the moment westcoast called out his name in the draft. Also called for him to debut in the QF last year along with NicNat. What did surprise me is how impactful he is up the ground. Absolute weapon this bloke, tough a fuq too.

The suggestion last year that we were seriously considering debuting Rioli in the QF last year turned a few heads and shocked a few.

Although we didn't, you can understand why we were seriously considering it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
Gov to the midfield as the big “boned” midfielder we’ve been craving

You heard it here first

You didn't actually. At the start of the year I went down to Lathlain to catch some pre season training. Sam Mitchell was running the boys through a midfield drill. About a dozen players where around the ball and one group of 6 had to extract it and get it forward, but Mitchell wanted them to work the ball out through the congestion, not fire a handpass out wide to a loose player. McGovern was part of that group and being big bodied an important part. I noted that in Bigfooty as something to watch out for, but it never happened. As it transpired it wasn't neceessary and will be unlikely next year.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I could see him playing up the ground a bit more ala Jamie Cripps one day but he’s more useful closer to goal for the time being.

He already is playing up the ground. He was running similar kms as Gaff, Cripps and Masten in games 13 - 14 kms.

Thats serious kms.

He may spend an extra 10-15% in the middle but will never be a full time mid.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
well, I just hope cricket comes with a big box of tissues!?

And not just Willy. Shueperman reckons he can improve this season. Gaff will have a point to prove.
Ryan should step up (if injury free). Shep back. The positive influences from the new Wafl team.
Sheed, NN, and a host of others really, can expect good things to happen, including the newbies and youngsters.
Got a real solid base to build on now. Don't see us having a flat year after the GF, too much competition within.
But another flag 'aint easy..

The two Allen's will add more next year. Just feel Oscar is something special and Matt is primed to explode, just needs to stay injury free. Named as an emergency several times late in this season. .

How good would it be if M Allen became a inside beast like J Kennedy at the Swans. Thing is he could rest forward and play as a legitimate leading tall.

Last edited:

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The two Allen's will add more next year. Just feel Oscar is something special and Matt is primed to explode, just needs to stay injury free. Named as an emergency several times late in this season. .

Hiw good would it be if M Allen became a inside beast like J Kennedy at the Swans. Thing is he could rest forward and play as a legitimate leading tall.

Agree - Really excited by the two Allens!

We have quite a few players - Matt Allen, Oscar Allen, AhChee, O'Neil, Cameron, Foley, Brander, Waterman, Petrucelle, Nelson, Brayshaw, Smith, Ainsworth who could all potentially push for senior selection in 2019.

There's gonna be a lot of competition for spots and it makes for an exciting few years ahead.

Hopefully there are one or two of them who really can become elite for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back