Rioli urine test tampered

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Interesting that the AFL waited until all avenues of appeal by Sports Integrity Australia and WADA had expired before the penalty was handed out by them. Makes you wonder if they had announced the same penalty prior to the expiration date, would Sports Integrity Australia or WADA have appealed.

i thought the timer started from the time the penalty was handed down?

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Simpson frustrated with it taking 15 months to be heard.

Just because he's your special player Adam, doesn't mean his case gets heard any quicker. The implication is it's fat, lazy public servants lying around, doing nothing. Or shuffling papers from one pile to another.

The law does and always has moved slowly. It's regrettable, there's always a reason, and the answer to fixing it is probably for us, as taxpayers to fund the agencies better. And that will almost certainly not happen.

Perhaps Simpson could donate?

StevieP24

Debutant
Mar 14, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Just because he's your special player Adam, doesn't mean his case gets heard any quicker. The implication is it's fat, lazy public servants lying around, doing nothing. Or shuffling papers from one pile to another.

The law does and always has moved slowly. It's regrettable, there's always a reason, and the answer to fixing it is probably for us, as taxpayers to fund the agencies better. And that will almost certainly not happen.

18 months.
What has public servants got to do with AFL?
It moves slow so just accept it? there was no new evidence to come over the 18months to the verdict, no reason it couldn't have been done within the week of the incident.
Again tax payers funding who?
Simpson donate to who? the AFL?

Lets see what you think when its a young Blues player.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
18 months.
What has public servants got to do with AFL?
It moves slow so just accept it? there was no new evidence to come over the 18months to the verdict, no reason it couldn't have been done within the week of the incident.
Again tax payers funding who?
Simpson donate to who? the AFL?

Lets see what you think when its a young Blues player.
Irrelevant which club the player plays for. The delays are regrettable, I don't disagree.

To be fair to Simpson, I only saw the headline of what he said so there may be more to his statement, but I constantly see the comments that SIA are taking forever, with the implication they are needlessly causing grief to the people who have become embroiled in a doping offence.

SIA are a Government agency. Funded by taxpayers. I was being a smart arse about Simpson donating by paying more tax. Not sure why you think I was saying he could donate to the AFL?

More money may mean more resources to do things quicker.

The meme that public servants sit around doing nothing is pretty old. Sure, there might be pockets, but my experience is that they are often overworked, under resourced and underpaid. And mostly doing a good job battered by a lot of unwarranted, and uneducated criticism.
Walk a mile in their shoes and you might understand.

Get it done in a week you say? Seriously?

From their website:
Australia is a signatory to the UNESCO International Convention against Doping in Sport and is required to implement anti-doping arrangements in accordance with the principles of the World Anti-Doping Code (the Code). We collaborate with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), overseas anti-doping organisations and other stakeholders to further the Australian Government’s efforts to strengthen anti-doping practices globally.

Our role and functions are set out in the Sport Integrity Australia Act 2020, the Sport Integrity Australia Regulations 2020 and the National Anti-Doping (NAD) scheme.

I am a million miles from being an expert on the process, other more learned contributors to this board may be able to explain the delays.

But why don't you read the act, then the code, the regulations and then the scheme. Dot every i, cross every t and apply the whole thing to Rioli.
It's not a choice, it's the law and they have to comply.

And after that, then perhaps you might start to fathom the mass of regulatory hoops and hurdles they have to jump through and over.

And why it might not get done in a week.

StevieP24

Debutant
Mar 14, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Wasnt seriously suggesting a week but closer to a week than 18months. There was no new evidence to be found etc..

The way i see it (not an expert either) AFL hand down the sentence ASADA (SIA now) etc can appeal if they feel too lenient hence the 6 week wait for them to have a chance to appeal which they chose not to. Im not aware of a lot of other cases going on in Australia for them to be so busy it takes this long.

Either way im happy for him to be back this year and think this was a fair wack.

OR close down ASADA.

It would certainly fail the bang for buck test.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is the way to treat druggies. No cover up 3 strike rule. No sweeping the problem under the rug
The AFL's 3 strike policy wouldn't even come into account here, because Xerri is banned for a WADA prohibited substance. He's be banned the exact same way if he was an AFL player.

If NRL player was found with a positive result substance that would give them a strike under the AFL's policy (eg cocaine out of competition), the NRL would shrug and just not care about it.

Wasnt seriously suggesting a week but closer to a week than 18months. There was no new evidence to be found etc..

The way i see it (not an expert either) AFL hand down the sentence ASADA (SIA now) etc can appeal if they feel too lenient hence the 6 week wait for them to have a chance to appeal which they chose not to. Im not aware of a lot of other cases going on in Australia for them to be so busy it takes this long.

Either way im happy for him to be back this year and think this was a fair wack.
The question is why was there a need to get Willie Rioli's case heard quickly? It was a pretty open and shut case. Just needed to be done within the expected punishment period.

He was undergoing a voluntary suspension, which would count towards his punishment when eventually found guilty. If he didn't think he would be found guilty, and if he'd said he was going to fight against it, then they would've had motivation to get everything held quicker.

Willie Rioli would've be completely within his right to have continued playing until he had his hearing, its just that when he was then found guilty, he would've had to have served his entire punishment from that time.

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is the way to treat druggies. No cover up 3 strike rule. No sweeping the problem under the rug

huh..... 3 strike rule is for recreational drugs not PEDs.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a very simplistic view of the world, there are many different categories of drug.

By your broad categorization above, panadol and heroin are on par.
Any sports person that puts any drugs recreational or performance enhanching into his system that are illegal is dumber than than dumb

Back