Rumour Rioli won the lottery

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
There was a Richmond player some time back (80s?) who won Tattslotto.

Walked away and never came back IIRC.

So he didn't walk away from the game because he wa $hit? I'd find it hard to imagine a good player walking away from the game. If anything, it'd motivate them to move to a premiership contender for less money

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It was many years ago and a far smaller sum but my good mate “Rocket” Owen won the lottery and was back at work maybe 18 months later.

Might’ve had a reputation on the field, and off it, back in the day, but damn, he’s one of the best blokes you can ever hope to meet.

He did one of the best footy interviews of all time for the Sunday paper in the early 90's. Stories included Owen calling in sick to training and catching a cab to Cranbourne races, only to come face to face with coach Doc Baldock when he got out. And a detailed description of dropping $7K on a horse a Caulfield tipped to him by jockey Michael Clarke (before the days of inflated player wages).

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
He did one of the best footy interviews of all time for the Sunday paper in the early 90's. Stories included Owen calling in sick to training and catching a cab to Cranbourne races, only to come face to face with coach Doc Baldock when he got out. And a detailed description of dropping $7K on a horse a Caulfield tipped to him by jockey Michael Clarke (before the days of inflated player wages).
Wish I read that interview.

I love the bloke. He's a bloody legend.

Pro sport isn't like working 9-5 office jobs, it's one of the things you might actually continue with for love of the game.

I’d say most pro players would be happy to be finished by the end. Massive grind.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
I work with a lady who's daughter is best friends with Cyrils Wife. She told me that he was going to retire, she told me this in of last year.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I work with a lady who's daughter is best friends with Cyrils Wife. She told me that he was going to retire, she told me this in of last year.

He looked totally cooked and in a lot of pain in his last two years. The last great game of his career was against West Coast rd 5 2017 and he took a massive screamer in the last quarter. He landed horribly right in front of me: the next week he did his knee.

It was absolutely no surprise that he pulled the plug.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He looked totally cooked and in a lot of pain in his last two years. The last great game of his career was against West Coast rd 5 2017 and he took a massive screamer in the last quarter. He landed horribly right in front of me: the next week he did his knee.

That performance against WC in 2017 was ridiculously good. I remember Rioli had so many "tap ons" that came off perfectly... like Michael Long at his very best. I recommend any Rioli fan to revisit that game.

Rocco sifreddi

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
People with that much money shouldn’t be aloud to buy a ticket! It should only go to those on the bones of their arse! Seriously, wouldn’t it be good if it were only won by battlers?
Agree a lady who won the 100 mill poweball said
She will continue to work wtf? Isnt the reason to win the lottery not to work anymore?, fmd.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sweet, back next year on the rookie list, Mumford style.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back