Roast Rioli's chicken wing tackle on Warnock: MRP failure

pepalenko

rolling with my cronies
May 4, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, SanFransisco 49s, Yankees
Hang on. So Rioli's action is a bad look but not enough force.
So why did Waite get a week for that head-butt attempt then?

Seems to me that Griffen was in somewhat more pain thanks to Rioli than the Melbourne player after the Waite incident. Tell me I'm wrong.

EDIT: Seems I'm repeating what OBF has already said, but that explanation doesn't make sense. So which way does it work then?
I've been arguing on Twitter with some clown who claims Rioli's was nothing like Judd's because Rioli was trying to stop him from hand balling.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
I think the real difference is that judd tugged on the blokes arm when he was on the ground and helpless.

I'm not condoning what Cyril did, and think it was worthy of at least a week on the sidelines...but I do see a difference in the two incidents.

pepalenko

rolling with my cronies
May 4, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, SanFransisco 49s, Yankees
Geez if you read the thread on the MB, Cyril is just the greatest exponent of the tackle the game has seen.
He could bang a team mate's wife, accidentally sleep with someone without consent, take PEDs and illicit drugs, and still be the greatest person who ever lived.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Geez if you read the thread on the MB, Cyril is just the greatest exponent of the tackle the game has seen.
He could bang a team mate's wife, accidentally sleep with someone without consent, take PEDs and illicit drugs, and still be the greatest person who ever lived.

Pretty accurate description of Wayne Carey's career if you ask me...

I think the real difference is that judd tugged on the blokes arm when he was on the ground and helpless.

I'm not condoning what Cyril did, and think it was worthy of at least a week on the sidelines...but I do see a difference in the two incidents.

Agree slashin. Adams was already on the ground and pinned when Judd grabbed his arm. Rioli grabbed the arm and then slung him down in a tackle (perhaps with a little tug on there too). Not saying Rioli's tackle is 100% legit, but at least you could argue it was in play/messy rather than intentional.

juzza316

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton Member

I agree, IMO the Judd and Rioli 'chicken wings' are different. If Rioli had tugged on Griffens arm for a second longer he would be in real trouble

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
2diizc3.jpg

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Also, Rioli did it as part of the tackle, whereas Judd wasnt part of the original tackle, and came in after the fact. Again, Rioli did the wrong thing, and it was unsportsmanlike....he should have been sanctioned, but its not the same thing.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Also, Rioli did it as part of the tackle, whereas Judd wasnt part of the original tackle, and came in after the fact. Again, Rioli did the wrong thing, and it was unsportsmanlike....he should have been sanctioned, but its not the same thing.
So you're saying one is murder and the other is manslaughter?

:rolleyes:

They both grabbed an arm and lifted it up behind their back.

Almost want Judd or Waite to do that to Rioli just to see how the media and the flat track bullies react. Hawks players are like bullies who are tough and aggressive when they're with their mates. Only need to separate them to show that they're softcokcs who can't stand up for themselves. Sydney did this very thing in last year's GF to expose their soft underbelly.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So you're saying one is murder and the other is manslaughter?

:rolleyes:

They both grabbed an arm and lifted it up behind their back.
Pretty much.

One was flat out intentional, the other could be argued to be negligent/accidental. There is also the question of force and impact. Reports stated that adams shoulder popped out, not sure if the same could be said for griffin (clearly sore, but not dislocated?). This doesnt make it much better, and the fact that he got off is outrageous, but i dont think they are the same.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty much.

One was flat out intentional, the other could be argued to be negligent/accidental. There is also the question of force and impact. Reports stated that adams shoulder popped out, not sure if the same could be said for griffin (clearly sore, but not dislocated?). This doesnt make it much better, and the fact that he got off is outrageous, but i dont think they are the same.
There is nothing accidental about what Rioli did once Griffen was on the ground. There was no need for it as that arm was already out of play, given the way Griffen was lying.

May 6, 2010
Malborne, Orstrayah
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Richmond until at least Rnd 2 2014
Definitely negligent & reckless, but most importantly, unnecessary & not in the spirit of the game.

The MRP let it go because the media didn't hound Rioli like they did with Judd, & the Western Bulldogs didn't scream blue murder like the Kangaroos did.

I think most of us agree that Rioli's wasn't as bad as Judds. .. The problem most seem to have is that it was unnecessary and Cyril has form. .. Should have been referred to the tribunal to decide. .. Rest is hyperbole, I guess. ..

I think most of us agree that Rioli's wasn't as bad as Judds. .. The problem most seem to have is that it was unnecessary and Cyril has form. .. Should have been referred to the tribunal to decide. .. Rest is hyperbole, I guess. ..

I'd like to hear what Griffen thought of it. Didn't look particularly impressed by the "legal" action.

Doesn't really matter but not many would have got away with that action.

Imagine if someone did it to Rioli. :eek:

May 6, 2010
Malborne, Orstrayah
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Richmond until at least Rnd 2 2014
I'd like to hear what Griffen thought of it. Didn't look particularly impressed by the "legal" action.

Doesn't really matter but not many would have got away with that action.

Imagine if someone did it to Rioli. :eek:

Yeah, trial by media, seems to be a common reality in the AFL. .. If the media get the crowd in a frenzy, the AFL seems to think it needs to placate the masses. .. At least the tribunal and MRP do, maybe not Demetriou. ..

Judd had hold of the arm while Carrazzo was bringing the player to ground in the tackle. Judd was a part of the original tackle and he never bent the arm like Rioli did in Aph's image. You only do that sort of move with an arm if you are planning on dislocating it and completely wrecking the shoulder socket.

Yeah, trial by media, seems to be a common reality in the AFL. .. If the media get the crowd in a frenzy, the AFL seems to think it needs to placate the masses. .. At least the tribunal and MRP do, maybe not Demetriou. ..

Fat Vlad bends with the crowd... and takes it like a man when the media and the crowd are baying for blood.

And he seems to want to protect a few teams to try and garner more support for them in Victoria. Whorethorn and his old team the Norf Poos seem to be fairly protected species in the media these days.

Oh god... that arm movement is almost sickening. Not even the Judd incident looked that dangerous, in terms of actual force and angle of the movement.

Considering he has form, Rioli just got away with murder.

Back