RIP Andrew Symonds

Remove this Banner Ad

Very sad, absolutely phenomenal cricketer & I just felt how his career played out was very sad.

I remember when Gilchrist & him batted together against someone in an ODI here and literally obliterated the attack for about 15 overs, I’ll never be able to find the game but I’d kill to watch their little innings together, those two barely ever batted together in ODI’s but man that was some serious hitting.

Folks with good memories may remember an ODI at the SCG years ago.

Mate of mine ( who was 1 of THOSE drunks ) was ripping into Warney fielding at deep mid-wicket over the fence ( I recall seeing it on tv and facepalming )

" You suck Warne, you're s**t Warne " etc etc

They sent Roy out there next over - not a peep from my mate lol
😍
He was always someone I wanted to succeed. So many memories of watching him play under selection pressure. RIP Symo.

Averaged 40 with the bat and 37 with the ball in both ODI and Test cricket.

Not really 'great all rounder' type stats but what he brought in the field made up for it.

Imagine trying to bat and having to deal with both Ponting and Symonds in the field.

Was one of my favourite cricketers when I was a cricket-mad kid.

As with Warne and Hayden, as I got older, I cared less and less for them, for whatever reason.

The whole monkeygate thing was a stain on a lot of people from both sides, whether we like it or not.

Including Sachin Tendulkar with his 'teri ma ki' excuse, which I never believed for one second.

I remember hearing a story about Symonds, not sure if it is true.

The story goes that he and Hayden were out in a boat fishing one day when the boat engine stopped working.

Symonds and Hayden decided to swim to shore in shark-infested waters.

Wouldn't surprise me, seems like a Symonds kind of thing to do.

A different story which isn't quite so sunny is centred on when he turned up to play for Australia while still drunk.

Banned for two matches after turning up drunk to a one-day international against Bangladesh in Cardiff during the run-up to the Ashes series. Australia, astonishingly, lost the match and went on to lose the Ashes.

It was a sad day for Australian cricket.

"It's my worst loss as captain," a bemused Ponting said. "It's probably one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game."

For somebody as talented as he was, it is remarkable that most cricket fans will remember Symonds for racism scandals, bumping streakers, and alcoholism.

There may be a lesson in that.

Anyway, another sad day for cricket. It is just one after another lately.

Very sad, absolutely phenomenal cricketer & I just felt how his career played out was very sad.

I remember when Gilchrist & him batted together against someone in an ODI here and literally obliterated the attack for about 15 overs, I’ll never be able to find the game but I’d kill to watch their little innings together, those two barely ever batted together in ODI’s but man that was some serious hitting.
Gilchrist and Symonds batted together 10 times in ODI cricket and 3 of those were century partnerships. Given 2 of them happened in 1999 in Galle and Colombo I'm assuming the one you remember is from this one in Perth:

Chasing 204, Australia were 3-31 inside 5 overs before those two put on 122 in 16 overs.

It was also Mike Hussey's ODI debut match but I can't find highlights I'm sorry.

Edit: Robelinda2 clearly has the match in his archives as he has Husseys innings from that match on his Youtube page so if you reach out to him he might be able to dig it out for you:

None of the Aussie cricketers playing right now will be remembered as larrikins..

Sportsmen can't have personalities these days, in fact hardly any of them even drink alcohol or enjoy the party scene these days.

I actually find it hard to warm to any of the current players like I did with the 90's/2000's players. Players like Steve Smith who twitch and do *ed leaves for the sake of it just annoy me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awful news.

Was there the day he hit 100 at the G. One of the great moments between Haydos and Roy.

Was an absolute character and a guy you just loved to watch because you felt like something exciting could always happen.

RIP.

Was a pleasure to witness that innings at the G. From memory it took him ages to get off the mark but once he did there was no stopping him.

Loved watching him play and have especially enjoyed his commentary of the BBL over recent times. RIP Roy.

Sportsmen can't have personalities these days, in fact hardly any of them even drink alcohol or enjoy the party scene these days.

I actually find it hard to warm to any of the current players like I did with the 90's/2000's players. Players like Steve Smith who twitch and do ******ed leaves for the sake of it just annoy me.
Yes, those were the days, when the crowd was heaving, the beer flowing, and the likes of Symonds and Ponting prowling near the field, always in the action.

Cricket in Australia is a shadow of it's former self!

Really sad. Feel for the immediate family. Haven't really got my head around how/why it happened.

Watching the coverage of this ghastly period, AB is still our skipper. He played with all of the guys we've lost and has given his own time after their deaths to share his memories regardless of how he was feeling and you could see with Warnie how hard it hit him. Dude just keeps delivering.

Speculation going around Symonds may have swerved to miss a animal.

Considering his hobbies evolve around outdoors and 4wding I'd be surprised if he couldn't deal with a animal darting across the road and it looks like his ute had a bull bar so he could have just mowed over it. I reckon his post mortem will show he had a medical issue myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back