RIP Billy Picken and Con Britt

Remove this Banner Ad

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Link ---> Rip

Billy took the mark of the day in his first game against Carlton in 1974.

In mid 75 he was dropped to the Reserves so Ron Richards put him at CHB for 4 games where he dominated. He came back in v Richmond and tore Royce Hart a new one at CHB and a new star was born. He was best finals player in 1975 playing with strained shoulder ligaments.

Last edited:

Billy was certainly one of my all time favourites - Con Britt perhaps not so much, but his career was cut short by injury. I was surprised to read that Picken debuted in 1974, because I thought I recalled him playing through my childhood. He was in fact 3 years younger than me so his death at age 66 is premature and tragic. RIP to both of them.

I only have vague memories of Con Britt, IIRC a tough half forward flanker..

Billy has to be Collingwood greatest finals player, at least in my lifetime. Not a great kick, but a one on one beast, a wonderful reader of the play, a spectacular mark And unfailingly heroic in big games
Britt was a HFF and second rover in 1970 but by 1972 he became a back pocket. He did his knee against Carlton at Princes Park in 1973 and never came back.

He gave John Newman the bump in the first quarter of the 1967 First Semi v Geelong which resulted in Newman losing his kidney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is sad, in my time one of the greatest players of the game.

Along with Barham, my favorite and one of the reasons I followed the Pies

R.I.P legend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was about to say the same. Billy and Ricky. Heroes for us teenagers in the 70s

R I P Billy and Con. my days as a young Pies supporter watching Billy flying for his one grab marks , was a thing of rare beauty and poetry in motion. Forever etched in my memory and mind. Deepest condolences and prayers to the Picken and Britt family and friends. You were a character Bill that left an indelible mark on a lot of us 🙏

I remember the game at Vic Park v the Swans when Billy ran out for them. (How so many of our legends of that era ended up at other clubs is a disgrace, but that’s another story).

Not a single person in the crowd bothered to boo him that day. Too much respect for that….

Don't forget when he came back though, and goaled on the run to the Sherrin stand end.
Place erupted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back