RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, just a reminder that should today's news be triggering for you then there are resources and people out there which I cannot recommend enough:

Lifeline - 13 11 14
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978
Headspace - 1800 650 890

Otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us, or each other.

:purpleheart:

Last edited:
Incredible the amount of people on the game day thread who made comments like “I know it’s a hard day but that’s no excuse for this performance” and “we used to be a no excuses football team” and “Fyfe should retire”. Classic Bigfooty. Total nuffs.
it probably buggered up their multis

Tragic

The way the media were going Hogan is very fortunate to have made his way to Sydney....

That low life Hagdawn did his best to cause something like this to happen. It's not a long bow either when he banged on negatively about Hogan to the whole of west aust all year.

If it was me I'd be clearly affected.

I'm curious about the resources in mental health support services, because whatever we're doing, it doesn't work. In practice, as a healthcare worker who sees a lot of presentations associated with mental health, it seems that community support services are significantly under-resourced, and every single place I've worked is clearly massively short on mental health beds for inpatient care (ridiculously so). Perhaps Headspace is just not that useful?

I've spent a lot of time talking about this to a friend who's an experienced Psychiatrist who's spent years in the public system both in WA and elsewhere, and they also report significant under-resourcing of mental health community support; apparently WA used to have a quite holistic state system but as money has been hived off into non-public services, it's become disjointed and has basically fallen in a heap... something I see in my patients every single shift.
Good come back, I wouldn't disagree with anything you said except the bit about WA used to have a quite holistic state system. I've been working in thee WA health sytem for over 30 years now and there was no golden mental health era. I agree that Headspace is essentially a dismal failure but we can guarantee many millions have been spent on ensuring 'best practice'.

We can't really go into depth here but our society tells our young people that life has no meaning, it shows them constantly via ads and social media that they're not good enough, it gives the fingers to the accumulated wisdom of millions of years of human evolution and then we scratch our heads and wonder why people feel sh*t? I guess that's why I'm such a passionate Freo supporter, I'm living a mood congruent delusion.

Incredible the amount of people on the game day thread who made comments like “I know it’s a hard day but that’s no excuse for this performance” and “we used to be a no excuses football team” and “Fyfe should retire”. Classic Bigfooty. Total nuffs.
Blows my mind the response to Fyfe this week, saying he's past it etc. He literally put on a BOG performance in his last full game. He was clearly hugely affected by Cam and being even 10% off can impact his game so much more since his role this year has been a lot to do with quick hands and his stoppage work.

People say s**t when emotional. Game day threads in the moment are like that.

No one's said that, people have been tiptoing around it and have been very respectful and calm. let's be honest, Sydney absolutely kicked us all over the place and it was an abysmal effort – I'd say most of it was the coaching, too.

Stop creating this narrative we're some naggy, negative set of supporters. we are the nuffs. I think only Richmond love themselves as much as us.

No one's said that, people have been tiptoing around it and have been very respectful and calm. let's be honest, Sydney absolutely kicked us all over the place and it was an abysmal effort – I'd say most of it was the coaching, too.
Sydney absolutely did not kick us all over the place. By 3qt we were leading in literally all the important stats and had around 8 more shots at goal. It's not a coaching fault that we have 5 shots on goal from within 30m on little angle that don't score, or that we had 12 marks inside 50 for 1 goal. Could we have generated better chances? Sure. Were we dominated all over the ground? Not in the slightest.

Anyway, I agree with most of what this article is saying . Players were clearly affected by the news, but would feel compelled to play through the emotion for the benefit of the team, especially the leaders. Even those who weren't as close to him would have been affected in some way or another, and it's inevitable considering they learnt about it only hours before they had to prep for the game. Postponing it by a day or two would have been the right thing to do. The AFL loves to talk about mental health but what are they actually doing to help their players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop creating this narrative we're some naggy, negative set of supporters. we are the nuffs. I think only Richmond love themselves as much as us.
you've only just joined BF - the bullying of certain players has been going on for a very long time

(unless you are someone who has suddenly re-joined with a different name)

Good come back, I wouldn't disagree with anything you said except the bit about WA used to have a quite holistic state system. I've been working in thee WA health sytem for over 30 years now and there was no golden mental health era. I agree that Headspace is essentially a dismal failure but we can guarantee many millions have been spent on ensuring 'best practice'.

We can't really go into depth here but our society tells our young people that life has no meaning, it shows them constantly via ads and social media that they're not good enough, it gives the fingers to the accumulated wisdom of millions of years of human evolution and then we scratch our heads and wonder why people feel sh*t? I guess that's why I'm such a passionate Freo supporter, I'm living a mood congruent delusion.
we could probably start by trying to be nicer to one another

It's not okay, but at the same time if social media is affecting your mental health then don't go on it. Life will go on if you don't use Twitter or Insta. In fact I'm sure it will improve. Reckon it would be better to start weening ourselves off of it tbh.
Completely agree, I was just making the point that the players do use social media a lot and that it's a bit naive to suggest that they would never read anything on social media. I know clubs try and educate the players about keeping off but we all know how much they all use it. Was a bit easier back in the day, when you just had to make sure that you didn't buy the local rag.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

you've only just joined BF - the bullying of certain players has been going on for a very long time

(unless you are someone who has suddenly re-joined with a different name)

Personally I think bullying of other big footy posters is a far bigger issue than commentary about players. The gang-ups here these days on anyone that dares to think differently to the group think is pretty disturbing. I think it’s fascinating to see some of the same posters that engage in pile-on bullying style posting bemoaning a lack of empathy towards players.

Nah, last straw for me and sick of this crap from the weekend. Honestly a bit disgusted at the number of people who have posted rubbish like you saying it was an abysmal effort. Like, seriously just upset on the fact there has been multiple posters questioning the team and, even worse, Fyfe from the weekend.

Aside from the fact that if you have two eyes and a brain you can see how the result was completely bizarre in terms of kicking accuracy, how can a human being say the effort was abysmal. Cam McCarthy shared the field with lots of these guys and was still a good friend to many and they are playing the DAY after they find out their mate died. Does this seriously need explaining?

I’m not someone who sits on here with purple coloured glasses or shouting “support the club no matter what” either. Like that activity annoys me, but I’ve lost a bit of respect for the BF group this weekend. I thought this community was better than that and there has been 1 too many of these ignorant comments.

Luckily BF is generally not seen from players and it offers a bit of protection because if I was someone like Fyfe reading some of the absolute dribble I’d be close to telling the lot to heck off im done.

Rant over

I think we should close the thread before it changes into a vent thread and constant arguments.

Bit disrespectful

There's a lot I'd like to write about this weekend but need to clear my thoughts. There are a few intertwined issues that came with this weekend. For those going hard on Fyfe and the team's performance this week speaks tons about their own character.

I want to write more but like I say, I need a clear head for it. Maybe in a few days.

For those that doubt the impact of the circumstances, here is a clip of the young lad. He had heart and I'm sure he was very dear to many. This brought a tear to my eye.

Life is a precious thing.

Last edited:
I think we should close the thread before it changes into a vent thread and constant arguments.

Bit disrespectful
I thought that but I think people should have a place to reminisce and discuss Dardy still. It’s my last week at my old job so I can monitor it as it starts to fall off.

Edit: case and point, see the above post King Huskii

Remove this Banner Ad

Back