RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

it's an easy one to jump the gun on because many (outside of supporting Freo) would have been aware of when he collapsed and was diagnosed. Struggling with epilepsy could be enough to trigger a young guy, but guess we wont get an official explaintation for a while.

I hope it was epilepsy to be honest. While it is terrible to die that young of natural causes at least that means McCarthy may have been happy in his final days.

News.com.au article has the mental health message on the article. We will have to wait but it sounds like a suspected suicide reading between the lines. Just horrible news however he died but more stinging to me if he had mental health issues he couldn’t overcome.

They often put that up as a precaution if they don't know the details and it might be suicide.

They often put that up as a precaution if they don't know the details and it might be suicide.
Not challenging but just looking to clarify as this relates to work I have done in the past. Generally speaking the media is informed if the likelihood is suicide and there are clear media guidelines about including help lines then. If the correct ways of doing things have been followed it is unfortunately more likely to be suicide than not.

Awful news, heartbreaking. RIP young man.

Freeo have dealt with a lot of tragedy in recent years.

Such sad news, a life way too short.

Serves as a reminder to us all that football is just a game for entertainment and that there are bigger issues at stake in the world.

As a parent my heart bleeds 💔 for his parents, loved ones and his mates.

Life can be very harsh and cruel sometimes.

RIP Cam.

Extremely sad. No fit, working young person should feel this is the only option.

Unfo. the more this type of action makes the news, the more it seems ‘reasonable’ to those on the edge. RIP.

News.com.au article has the mental health message on the article. We will have to wait but it sounds like a suspected suicide reading between the lines. Just horrible news however he died but more stinging to me if he had mental health issues he couldn’t overcome.

usually when they add the help line bit it means suicide.. very sad.

IF ANYONE HERE HAS ISSUES, REACH OUT. ITS ANNONMOUS HERE, NO ONE WILL JUDGE YOU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not challenging but just looking to clarify as this relates to work I have done in the past. Generally speaking the media is informed if the likelihood is suicide and there are clear media guidelines about including help lines then. If the correct ways of doing things have been followed it is unfortunately more likely to be suicide than not.

ABC is also displaying the help lines, but lower down the article in a section that mentions Shane Yarran and Harley Balic so it could be related to them rather than Cam McCarthy.
As someone else has posted, there may be some comfort for his family and friends if he did pass from medical reasons associated with his epilepsy, not suicide.

This is very depressing news.

He had all the tools as a footballer.

Sadly, he may not have had the tools needed for a normal life.

RIP Cam and God bless.

Extremely sad. No fit, working young person should feel this is the only option.

Unfo. the more this type of action makes the news, the more it seems ‘reasonable’ to those on the edge. RIP.

Usually only makes the news if it's someone famous. And even then it's hush hush and not mentioned as a cause of death. The only give away is the lifeline link at the bottom of the article. I think this is wrong because it hides the issue rather than taking it head on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back