RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

There are times, in the past, when I have drank so much I blacked out... and kept drinking. When I took illicit drugs to make me feel better. Then a few years ago, I found out that I was suffering from PTSD and that I had been for all but 3 years of my life.

There were times when things got really dark for me. I wanted to die, that the world would be a better place without me in it. I've been picking up my chef's knives and imagined myself cutting myself. Our mental health is a fragile thing that way too many people take for granted.

We'll probably never know what really happened, but we all know it's a tragedy that a young man has passed way too early.

His friends and family all have my sincere condolences for their tragic loss.

Because that is almost always what happened when no cause of death is reported.
He also suffered from epilepsy. He could have suffered a seizure while he was asleep and passed away like that.

He also suffered from epilepsy. He could have suffered a seizure while he was asleep and passed away like that.
At this stage it’s unlikely.

A- Epilepsy is an uncommon COD although in private it’s possible

B- The support group advertising implies there’s more too it.

C - The COD must have been plainly evident, or it would go to the coroner.

There are times, in the past, when I have drank so much I blacked out... and kept drinking. When I took illicit drugs to make me feel better. Then a few years ago, I found out that I was suffering from PTSD and that I had been for all but 3 years of my life.

There were times when things got really dark for me. I wanted to die, that the world would be a better place without me in it. I've been picking up my chef's knives and imagined myself cutting myself. Our mental health is a fragile thing that way too many people take for granted.

We'll probably never know what really happened, but we all know it's a tragedy that a young man has passed way too early.

His friends and family all have my sincere condolences for their tragic loss.
I don’t know you but I’m glad you didn’t make those choices, I really hope you’re doing better in life.

As a child of a parent who suicided, you never completely get over it. I don’t blame anyone who makes the choice, mental illness is horrible, just know that there is always a way out, even if it feels so bleak.

I have a sibling who died tragically from an epileptic seizure (unlucky circumstance). It happens. And even then, it might’ve been a contributing factor for Cam, if the condition had worsened his sense of quality of life in the few years since diagnosis.

Very sad. I watched him every week at the Giants, and the Dockers despite being a young club already have too many tragic deaths so feel for them, best of luck tonight. Cam at his best was a ripper and popular with fans.

Last edited:
Mental illness is the biggest issue in the Game.

players are barely supported once they retire or delisted in less you are champion of the game with a good CV you won't pick up work so easy remember these guys are usually 17-18 years old thrust straight into AFL.

Terribly sad RIP Cam McCarthy

One more observation.

18 games for his district/WAFL team in two years - Question , were there issues and signs showing last year?

Very rare for a sudden unexpected seizure to be a cause of death. More likely it would cause long term complications and see a sufferer disabled with chronic conditions prior to that point. And as has been pointed out an autopsy and coroner’s report would be needed to confirm that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why are you are assuming he suicided, without an official statement?

He suffered from epilepsy - even The West have been professional enough to report his illness and not called it drugs or suicide
Unfortunately a "non-suspicious" death in a residence with all news articles including a section at the bottom regarding lifeline and other metal health support services is code for suicide. They wont report it outright as a suicide in most cases, but the signs are all pointing in that direction. Incredibly sad.

A lot of the time it's the ones who can bring so many smiles to so many faces that are the ones who are struggling themselves
So much truth in that. One of my close mates was bi-polar - we were on a forum at 12.30pm on a wed night discussing race car differentials - he had so much knowledge and loved sharing it -

- next morning he was found in a car outside his workshop windows taped, exhaust taped, hose in the exhaust , half finished Beam & Coke on the passenger seat.

He never said a thing. Left a three line note.

He built the diff in mine. B86C57BB-5ADE-4719-9C82-218F16C6B29E.jpeg

I don't know why, but this one hit me harder than usual. Really liked Cam every time I saw him.
Was sleeping after night shift and randomly woke up minutes after the news broke, sat on the side of my bed staring at the screen for a good 5 minutes processing.
Absolute tragedy, just something that shouldn't happen to someone so young.
Hope his friends and family are doing okay.

If speculation is to be believed and he took his life,

It makes you wonder if he had enough support after his delisitng. Was he taken care of or discarded? If the latter, could this have been prevented?

Anyway my condolences.
Read post #112

Terrible, terrible news. He was quite a talent but more importantly he was an important person in the lives of his family and friends.
If his death can make some sort of difference, I implore any of you who maybe suffering to seek professional assistance and talk to friends and family.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad news.

308216.jpg

The really are just kids when they enter the system.

Mental illness is the biggest issue in the Game.

players are barely supported once they retire or delisted in less you are champion of the game with a good CV you won't pick up work so easy remember these guys are usually 17-18 years old thrust straight into AFL.

Terribly sad RIP Cam McCarthy
Won’t go into specifics but I’ve encountered a number of ex players who were on a great wicket during their time in the league who are totally lost and more or less penniless post career.

The fact they earn a high wage at a point in their lives is a distraction. Sometimes the worst thing you can do for a person who isn’t quite right is give them a lot of money and no boundaries.

Hi,
Unfortunately SUDEP (Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy) isn't rare. Epilepsy affects 1 in 25 people, and SUDEP takes 1 in 1000 lives every year even with people with controlled seizures, with that number becoming 1 in 150 for those with uncontrolled seizures. Took more lives in the US last year then SIDS yet isn't well known.
I have epilepsy it changes your life.
Thanks for the information.

My only comment would be a SUDEP would not be readily diagnosed?

That would require the Coroner. So still thinking self-harm For what its worth.🤷🏻

Won’t go into specifics but I’ve encountered a number of ex players who were on a great wicket during their time in the league who are totally lost and more or less penniless post career.

The fact they earn a high wage at a point in their lives is a distraction. Sometimes the worst thing you can do for a person who isn’t quite right is give them a lot of money and no boundaries.
Ask any ‘one hit’ Rock act…gone b4 you could write another.

Hi,
Unfortunately SUDEP (Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy) isn't rare. Epilepsy affects 1 in 25 people, and SUDEP takes 1 in 1000 lives every year even with people with controlled seizures, with that number becoming 1 in 150 for those with uncontrolled seizures. Took more lives in the US last year then SIDS yet isn't well known.
I have epilepsy it changes your life.

It is obvious from the reports that Epilepsy was not the cause of his death even though it may have been a contributing factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back