RIP Chris Martin Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, cancer diagnosed in January of 2012. A sad week for cricket media. A big part of TMS.

He suffered from lung cancer, like Greig. I didn't even realize he was ill.

Commentator, journalist, author, editor (of Cricketer). I remember him well on TMS over the years.

Highly respected among the cricketing world. And he didn't play the game at a particularly high level either.

Another very sad loss.

This summer is feeling more and more like the end of an era for me. First Greig, now CMJ, upheaval in the Aussie team with retirements, coupled with the rapid rate of change in cricket over the last five years and the television rights coming for renegotiation, this could well be the last summer that cricket on televsion could be presented in the same manner that we are all so used to.

There's an amusing piece of TMS commentary on the BBC sport site where CMJ mentions Vettori 'keeping his rod down...'......cue background giggles from the rest of the commentary team.

There's an amusing piece of TMS commentary on the BBC sport site where CMJ mentions Vettori 'keeping his rod down...'......cue background giggles from the rest of the commentary team.
That's the link I posted earlier. :)

Crikey another shock and another one gone too young. Never really loved his commentary like I loved Johners or Aggers or John Arlott or Henry Blofeld , but always respect CMJ and especially his work on the Test Match Special on the BBC. I actually enjoyed reading his articles more than his radio commentary. He wrote some wonderful stuff in papers and magazines which I used to buy when I was kid and a young man.

Crikey another shock and another one gone too young. Never really loved his commentary like I loved Johners or Aggers or John Arlott or Henry Blofeld , but always respect CMJ and especially his work on the Test Match Special on the BBC. I actually enjoyed reading his articles more than his radio commentary. He wrote some wonderful stuff in papers and magazines which I used to buy when I was kid and a young man.
Yeah I didn't love him in that way I did Jonners, but he was more straight and officious, slightly school masterly, it was good to have him there as a foundation for the slightly more irrascable characters.

On his writing as good as it was I often felt he just didn't get it, when England were absolute shithouse in the 90s he refused to criticise too much and gave too many of them the benefit of the doubt, an example is the way he kept talking up Ian Salisbury, and even though England had lost countless ashes series in a row he maintained that it was cyclical and England's time would come, as if it would happen by magic without an overhaul of domestic cricket, which I think was plain wrong, England only imrpoved by changing everything. I think was largely due to his love of county cricket and Sussex specifically that blinded him to the failings of the county system as well as the oxbridge elite that ran the game in England, he was a Cambridge man himself.

But whatever he was a good egg that loved cricket.

Just discovered this quote from CMJ in the Cricketer magazine's Centenary Test edition. Keith Fletcher's dismissal in the second innings (ct Marsh b Lillee) prompted CMJ to declare, "Oooh...that was a naughty ball..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his first edition of "Who's Who of Test Cricketers" (1980), CMJ listed Kerry O'Keeffe as Kevin O'Keeffe.

On his writing as good as it was I often felt he just didn't get it, when England were absolute shithouse in the 90s he refused to criticise too much and gave too many of them the benefit of the doubt, an example is the way he kept talking up Ian Salisbury, and even though England had lost countless ashes series in a row he maintained that it was cyclical and England's time would come, as if it would happen by magic without an overhaul of domestic cricket, which I think was plain wrong, England only imrpoved by changing everything. I think was largely due to his love of county cricket and Sussex specifically that blinded him to the failings of the county system as well as the oxbridge elite that ran the game in England, he was a Cambridge man himself.

But whatever he was a good egg that loved cricket.

Did he actually say that England would not have to in any way change their structure in order to get better?

Because he is right about it being cyclical.