News RIP, Colin Sylvia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Condolences to family friends.

Never nice for those left behind.
But a guy who was seen to kick his girlfriend, then had a court order to keep him away from the witness, well maybe we shouldn’t build him up just because he could chase leather.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/afl-star-gets-court-order-on-girlfriend-20060203-ge1os1.html

I will be honest I rate these people by how they played football.
One thing I never do is buy the AFL and the media line that any one of them is a "role model".
In fact I am 100% against such BS.

A loss as a footy players.
I did not even remotely know him as a person nor would I judge him.

Never nice for those left behind.
But a guy who was seen to kick his girlfriend, then had a court order to keep him away from the witness, well maybe we shouldn’t build him up just because he could chase leather.
That maybe true.

And maybe he was extremely remorseful afterwards and has turned a corner.

Still bad form to post that here.

That maybe true.

And maybe he was extremely remorseful afterwards and has turned a corner.

Still bad form to post that here.
Why?
This is a record of his life.
Yes he was a good footballer.
But his life record also shows he wasn’t a particularly nice person.
When I first read of the circumstances of his death I did wonder if it wasn’t an accident. Suppose the investigation will decide that.
I will cite Darren Millanes death as an example of making sure we have a balanced view of the individual.
Great player. Collingwood hero and legend.
But he died driving drunk. That he only killed himself and not a family is a pure roll of the dice.
We, as a club and a following, have never shied away from the fact that he had a dark side.
Why protect Sylvia from the same scrutiny?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?
When I first read of the circumstances of his death I did wonder if it wasn’t an accident. Suppose the investigation will decide that.
I will cite Darren Millanes death as an example of making sure we have a balanced view of the individual.
But he died driving drunk. That he only killed himself and not a family is a pure roll of the dice.
We, as a club and a following, have never shied away from the fact that he had a dark side.

My own sense is that the immediate aftermath of someone's passing is not the moment for a forensic or thorough accounting of the 'good' and 'bad' of their life. We only have the privilege of witnessing the world for a short while, and the ending of that time should be given over to some mix of celebrating the life that was and lamenting its loss.

No one is looking to make a hero of Col Sylvia, they are just looking to acknowledge his passing with the sadness it deserves, and whatever mistakes he made in his 'life record' doesn't lessen the tragedy in even the slightest way. Col Sylvia wasn't Pol Pot, or an a-hole whose life was defined by destructiveness and whose transgressions demand to be seen in the coldest possible light. Instead, he was a 32 year-old who made some mistakes, who was trying to make his life coherent after an unfulfilled footy career, and who generally made himself a positive force in the lives of people around him. The ending of his life is indeed a deep sadness.

Why?
Your lack of empathy is appalling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back