RIP Collingwood journo Scot Palmer

Remove this Banner Ad

An encyclopedia of Melbourne sports history.

I remember when Mike Tyson had a nibble of Evander Holyfield's ear, Palmer wrote a story about a Melbourne boxer who'd done a similar thing in the 1960s. The offending welterweight denied the accusation, seemed hurt by it: 'it's a terrible thing to say I'm a cannibal'. There mightn't have been 20 TV cameras to capture his gnawing, but the love bites on his opponent's ear were pretty damning.

The cross from footy reply to Palmer's newsroom was a memorable part of 1980s footy for me. He was enthusiastic and he was likable.

RIP Scot. Or, KEEP PUNCHING!

An encyclopedia of Melbourne sports history.

I remember when Mike Tyson had a nibble of Evander Holyfield's ear, Palmer wrote a story about a Melbourne boxer who'd done a similar thing in the 1960s. The offending welterweight denied the accusation, seemed hurt by it: 'it's a terrible thing to say I'm a cannibal'. There mightn't have been 20 TV cameras to capture his gnawing, but the love bites on his opponent's ear were pretty damning.

The cross from footy reply to Palmer's newsroom was a memorable part of 1980s footy for me. He was enthusiastic and he was likable.

RIP Scot. Or, KEEP PUNCHING!

yes, that boxer was Tommy Collins. He bit the ear of Queenslander Gary Cowburn in an Australian welterweight title fight. He was disqualified. And denied it. Despite Cowburn having his ear lobe hanging by a thread. Collins grew up in Richmond with Scot Palmer. Before settling in the Ivanhoe/Heidelberg/East Rosanna area.
After boxing he ran the Golden Cue billiard room in Little Bourke St and was Nappy Ollingtons partner in the infamous Two-up that moved locations around West Melbourne.
I met him several times via his kids in Ivanhoe area.
very funny and colourful man. Great story teller.
cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back