Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Most of you probably don't know the Cosmic Commander of Wrestling but he was a damn entertaining manager on the indie circuit in the US. He did an updated version of the Grand Wizard gimmick and was even part of the original ECW (I've posted a handheld video of him managing Sal Bellomo against Kerry Von Erich in Kerry's last ever taped match).

He was sadly in a motorbike accident last week and has passed away.

He was a regular visitor to Australia, often to see punk/high energy bands such as the Celibate Rifles, the New Christs, Died Pretty, Asteroid B612, etc. I got to know him pretty well in the 90s/early 00s and even got to see him do his manager thing at a Rock n Wrestling show at the Prince of Wales. We drifted apart once he stopped coming over but we'd drop the odd email to each other to keep in touch. He got me my first ECW t shirt in exchange for a ticket to a Radio Birdman gig. I remember him being incredibly excited that World Class Championship Wrestling (the Von Erichs promotion) was shown on here on Sky TV (when it only showed in pubs - does anyone else remember this? I'd pop in to the Doncaster Hotel just to get a wrestling fix). He had discovered religion last I heard (he became a Hindu as I understand it) and leaves behind a young family.

He was a top bloke and will be sadly missed.

Back