RIP Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

These sorts of sudden deaths always stop me for a bit. Even without any real connection to the person. I was too late to see Frawley coach us, let alone play, and I don’t have fox footy so I didn’t see much of him presenting. But I was aware of his presence, I’d see his face on shared bits from the Bounce and other shows. And suddenly he’s gone completely. I think it hits harder and wider than a death at the end of a long sickness which is still absolutely devastating - but not quite as brutal as being alive and kicking one day, gone the next - it’s sometimes difficult to believe. Makes you realise the fragility of your life, the need to live every day to the fullest.

RIP Spud

Funny story. When he was coaching the tiges I literally ran into him near Fawkner park with the tiges coaching group. They were out for an early morning run and so was i and as they turned into millswyn street i ran full on into him. He said “easy tiger, you’ll be right” and they pissed off up the street to the tan.

Must have been 2002 I reckon. Was only a little later I was like “how the * did he know I was a tiger?” Lol

Rip spud one of the genuinely good guys in football will miss listening to him on radio especially back during the triple m rub days with bt/jb/Lyon/chief

Condolences to all his family and friends

56 way too young to go feel terrible for his wife and daughters

Once a Richmond man always a Richmond man treated harsh was spud

Vale Danny one of the good guys

Heard the news this evening regarding a well known AFL identity dying in a car crash, the unconfirmed rumour that it was Spud.. I refused to believe it was true but now it's hitting home... I loved Spud, my best childhood footy memories were of our 2001 team, coached by Spud... that win against the old enemy Carlton being the best.. 2001 was the year of the chicken s**t being dumped at Punt Road, after that happened we went on a run, no one saw us finishing top 4 that year but we did it... damn I shed a tear writing this post.... R.I.P Spud you will be missed by very many people.

These sorts of sudden deaths always stop me for a bit. Even without any real connection to the person. I was too late to see Frawley coach us, let alone play, and I don’t have fox footy so I didn’t see much of him presenting. But I was aware of his presence, I’d see his face on shared bits from the Bounce and other shows. And suddenly he’s gone completely. I think it hits harder and wider than a death at the end of a long sickness which is still absolutely devastating - but not quite as brutal as being alive and kicking one day, gone the next - it’s sometimes difficult to believe. Makes you realise the fragility of your life, the need to live every day to the fullest.

RIP Spud

grief from a sudden/unexpected death is one of the worst feelings you can experience in my opinion. best wishes to his family and friends in this difficult time. very sad

of course there was his time at the tigers we are thankful for but i loved his ability to make fun of himself and not take banter too seriously in his media days. bounce wasn't always my favourite show but you just had to laugh at the sheer ridiculousness sometimes mostly headed by spud, perfect for a sunday evening

grief from a sudden/unexpected death is one of the worst feelings you can experience in my opinion. best wishes to his family and friends in this difficult time. very sad

of course there was his time at the tigers we are thankful for but i loved his ability to make fun of himself and not take banter too seriously in his media days. bounce wasn't always my favourite show but you just had to laugh at the sheer ridiculousness sometimes mostly headed by spud, perfect for a sunday evening

Yeah didn’t mind spud and that stupid show lol I still watched it every week though for the laugh .

I'm far more shook up about this than I expected to be. At work we have Foxtel so last night, at work, saw him clowning around on The Bounce celebrating his birthday and it was some ephemeral entertainment. When I heard he had passed today I came close to breaking down. Now if one were to sort through the posts here from the time (if they still exist) they would see that I was hardly his biggest fan when he was coach. But I am first to admit that he gave every capillary in his being towards this club in his time there and for that I bow to him. He took us to a final which few in those dark days managed to do.

Thank you Danny.

To his family, friends and Saints my condolences on your loss. He was a fine, yet troubled, individual.

That the ABC mentioned the Lifeline numbers made me sadder. I hope such an outlet was not the case, but either way Spud rest well and thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the so called Tigers supporter who spat on our then coach Danny Frawley. There r consequences of your actions you dog !!! 👎🖤💛
I did not think it was appropriate for Robbo to mention that on AFL360 tonight.

Look I thought the way Danny approached that in the aftermath was terrific where I think he effectivel asked the supposed fan to come forward if a member and the club would give a refund or whatever at the time and send the fan off on his merry way!!.

The spitting was not about Danny rather a fan or even audience attendee that had issues!!

I was shocked to hear the news and it really made me feel s**t. Even though I never met Danny, after years of listening to him on the radio and watching him on the TV you feel like you know the bloke.

Way too young. My favourite memories will be of the Triple M days with GL/JB/Purple/Chief and Spud. The banter was a pisser.

R.I.P Spud.

Such sad news I first met spud In 03 I was walking my greyhounds down the road and this group of men ran towards me turns out it was spud and the coaching staff they were down for a pre season camp in morwell. They jogged along side me for the next few kms we were chatting footy life dogs etc ripper bloke

Thoughts go out to his family and friends in this time

I can’t imagine what this would be like for his family. I was a my mothers carer for two years before she had to go in to a home. She’s dying of cancer and is approaching palliative care, her time is near. I have had time to mourn this even while she is alive. The shock of Danny’s death has hit mine and everyone’s heart with sadness that is hard to explain, it really is like we knew him even though I for one never met him in real life. Larger than life to be able to have that effect. Love to his family and I’ll miss seeing him on tv.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back