RIP Danny Frawley

Tigerbob68

????????????
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
These sorts of sudden deaths always stop me for a bit. Even without any real connection to the person. I was too late to see Frawley coach us, let alone play, and I don’t have fox footy so I didn’t see much of him presenting. But I was aware of his presence, I’d see his face on shared bits from the Bounce and other shows. And suddenly he’s gone completely. I think it hits harder and wider than a death at the end of a long sickness which is still absolutely devastating - but not quite as brutal as being alive and kicking one day, gone the next - it’s sometimes difficult to believe. Makes you realise the fragility of your life, the need to live every day to the fullest.

RIP Spud
Beautifully said for such a young man mate. Well done.
His time at Richmond ended badly, the last 3 years were pretty ordinary, the last 18 months were terrible. But gee we had some absolute ripper wins under him. If you've never seen it you should read up on the Libba incident early in 2001 then watch the return match from later that year. Unbelievable game with a huge climax and SO tense. I was still in NSW but was curled up in a ball in front of the tv watching the last few minutes.
2000 we had a huge win against Geelong at Docklands. 2001 the whole season was great but as well as the Dogs game there was Silvagni's 300th at the G and then the win over Carlton in the semi. 2003 there was our record comeback against Hawthorn. 51 points down 4 minutes before halftime. 3 points down 4 minutes after halftime!!! Richo's 10 goals against the Dogs in 2004. Worth watching a few of those if you can.
Richo commented that 2001 was his favourite playing year of his career because of Danny!

Tigerbob68

????????????
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Funny story. When he was coaching the tiges I literally ran into him near Fawkner park with the tiges coaching group. They were out for an early morning run and so was i and as they turned into millswyn street i ran full on into him. He said “easy tiger, you’ll be right” and they pi**ed off up the street to the tan.

Must have been 2002 I reckon. Was only a little later I was like “how the fu** did he know I was a tiger?” Lol
I lived in Park St in my first year in Melbourne and saw him with the coaching group run past one morning on the way to work! 2004 so probably not the same day!

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
A recollection from Richo -- https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/e97d23d566ef8642f7cec0098a3106dd

It happened at Richmond in 2004 when our coach Danny “Spud” Frawley was in a similar position to the one Hird is in now. After making a prelim in 2001 we had some pretty lean years under Spud, culminating in a 14-game losing streak to finish the 2004 season.

I couldn’t tell you what game it was after but some time towards the end of the year I remember driving to the club on a Monday after another loss and sitting in traffic on Punt Road and really dreading what I’d find there.

There’d been a lot of speculation in the paper that day about Spud’s job and as I got closer to the club I could see the big aerials that sit on top of the media vans sticking up from the car park and immediately thought, “This isn’t a good sign, something’s going on.”

I made my way past the reporters and got into the club and the first thing on the agenda was a team meeting upstairs in the Graeme Richmond room. The whole team was in there, it was pretty tense and sombre, no one was saying much, but there was one glaring absence — Spud wasn’t there.

We waited about 15 minutes and finally we heard him walking up the stairs. I was looking down at my feet as he entered the room because you know you’re every chance to cop a spray if you make eye contact. When I looked up, Spud was standing up the front of the group and he had a compressor we used to pump up the footballs on the ground next to him.

We’re all starting to think, “Maybe Spud has lost the plot here, what the hell is he doing?” He just stood there and he was looking at us and then he slowly bent down, picked up the compressor and held it up above his head.

He kept looking around and then said fairly quietly, “What am I boys?” No one said anything. He waited another 10 or 20 seconds and then said a little bit louder, “What am I boys?” No one knew what to say, so no one said anything. So a third time, with the compressor still above his head, Spud really yelled it, “WHAT AM I BOYS?”

One of the young players who made the rookie error of sitting in the front row finally broke the silence and said, “I don’t know Spud, what are you?” And Spud replied: “I’M UNDER THE BLOODY PUMP!”

Everyone roared with laughter and it really eased the tension in the room, which was obviously his intention. It summed up Spud as a character — he could always find a bit of humour in the most dire situation. It didn’t help him in the long run — later in the season he announced he was going to resign at the end of the year — but I’ll never forget that classic one-liner.

It might not have changed anything but there was a bit of method in Spud’s madness that day at Richmond. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to get a bit of humour in the place

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Just reading articles of when he was CEO of AFLCA apparently the strain of the Essendon supplements saga led to triggering his depression. I never thought such a balanced person with a chirpy personality and loved by all man could fall to the sword of depression.
Any wonder there is so much support and time going into this killer.
I never ever saw that in him and he did an incredible job covering it up on TV. The more I read into his past years the sadder I felt as he was on the edge of losing everything from wife to financial fortune. Poor man as his life was more valuable than anything else in the world and he was unable to see it.
I can still hear his words in all those chats we had together and feel totally shattered that his life ended so tragically.

Again
RIP Big Hearted Fella
You will be missed by us all
Still shattered

TI and Family.
Well said TI , Ive felt very hollow the last 24H , reading the struggles that lay beneath a happy go lucky veneer saddened me , I really feel for the bloke and his family

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Well said TI , Ive felt very hollow the last 24H , reading the struggles that lay beneath a happy go lucky veneer saddened me , I really feel for the bloke and his family
Yeah it’s been tough and the only thing that has lightened me up slightly is reading some of the great condolences, but it’s been a tough pill to swallow. My younger kids didn’t even know who he was until I filled them in on his place in Tiger history and they can now see why I’m in the dumps.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
I was just watching Spud’s final episode of Bounce from Saturday night. In the first 2 mins they give him a birthday cake and after he blows out the candle Dunstall asks him “what did you wish for Spud” and he replies “fair to say, you wouldn’t want to know” and then trails off...

Bit disappointed they taken off all the Bounce episodes on the AFL Watch app.
I understand in doing so, but sometimes in grief one wants to reminisce the good times.

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Terribly sad to lose Spud this way, condolences to the many people close to him.

He was a larger than life character, a true force of nature in all the roles he took on. For a ‘man’s man’ always neck deep in the larrikin culture of football, from a distance at least he always seemed to keep a remarkable sense of balance to his personality.

Proud yet humble. Tough but fair. A deadly serious, driven player and coach, but the first to put on the clown’s hat if it could help the group. Always the genuine, heart on his sleeve country boy, no matter how much fluff and bs the world blew his way.

I’ll remember the big man most fondly for his passionate defence of and advocacy for his players.

Bounding across the G to wrap a teenage Andrew Krakeour in his arms like child meets man bear, Krak’s face just lighting up like he suddenly realised he really belonged.

His enthusiasm for a young Mark Coughlan’s courage and hardness.

Who can forget his endless defence of blokes like Fiora who would cop it from the media, nobody got to kick Danny’s cubs without copping his famous glare. When you make a face that so often bore such a beautiful smile glare at you, as a reporter you probably think twice about targeting Tigers.

Thanks for all the great memories Spud, you’ll be fondly remembered and sorely missed.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Terribly sad to lose Spud this way, condolences to the many people close to him.

He was a larger than life character, a true force of nature in all the roles he took on. For a ‘man’s man’ always neck deep in the larrikin culture of football, from a distance at least he always seemed to keep a remarkable sense of balance to his personality.

Proud yet humble. Tough but fair. A deadly serious, driven player and coach, but the first to put on the clown’s hat if it could help the group. Always the genuine, heart on his sleeve country boy, no matter how much fluff and bs the world blew his way.

I’ll remember the big man most fondly for his passionate defence of and advocacy for his players.

Bounding across the G to wrap a teenage Andrew Krakeour in his arms like child meets man bear, Krak’s face just lighting up like he suddenly realised he really belonged.

His enthusiasm for a young Mark Coughlan’s courage and hardness.

Who can forget his endless defence of blokes like Fiora who would cop it from the media, nobody got to kick Danny’s cubs without copping his famous glare. When you make a face that so often bore such a beautiful smile glare at you, as a reporter you probably think twice about targeting Tigers.

Thanks for all the great memories Spud, you’ll be fondly remembered and sorely missed.
This... :thumbsu:

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember arriving back from overseas to hear Spud was our new coach. I liked him as a player, and I liked him even more as he started coaching our team. I remember an appearance on the Footy Show, before the Essendon First final, after beating them the week before. His segment left me thinking that he is the most honest and likeable coach - I was so proud he was coaching us. I think when we look at Dimma, and the way he engages the media and the fans - he took a leaf out of Spuds' coaching manual.

One of the most likeable footy personalities and players. I hope the honor him with the "Golden Fist" award on brownlow night. If we win the Premiership this year, we should honor it to his memory.

Rest In Peace Spud.

Just a couple of things.

1) With the Police stating they don't believe this was an accident I just wanted to share the link to the thread on our board that lists all of the helpline numbers if anyone is ever struggling.

2) RUOK? This is a strong reminder to make sure you ask the question to family, friends and loved ones.

3) This Saturday at 12:00pm Triple M and SEN are joining forces with Garry Lyon, JB, Damien Barrett and BT coming back to do a special Saturday Rub. The show will no doubt be filled with tears, laughs and great stories about Spud.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Real shame.

He is the first coach I really remember properly and liked (born 92), got to meet him a few times and he was always great with us kids. Was exactly the way everyone described. A lot of fun. Gave me my first proper taste at finals. Was always entertaining.

Rest easy Spud. Cheers for everything.

Back