RIP Dean Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad Melbourne supporters feel this way. I must admit I've been pondering how his legacy would be perceived given that the AFL made him the fall-guy for the tanking fiasco.
It sounds like most have a more reasonable view of the situation.
Vale Dean Bailey.

The last time I had some real fun at the footy was while Bailey was coaching. While we didn't raise to any great heights under him we did have some really good days at the footy. If the club had its time again he never would have been sacked. Cameron Schwab and the rest of the fools in that board would have been thrown out. A decision that came two years too late.

Can't believe how quickly that went from diagnosed to deceased. Frightening.

What a shame what turned out to be his last season was ruined by that bogus suspension too. Completely unfair.

Condolences to his family.

Can't believe how quickly that went from diagnosed to deceased. Frightening.

What a shame what turned out to be his last season was ruined by that bogus suspension too. Completely unfair.

Condolences to his family.

I always felt the AFL got this wrong, today that mistake is amplified.

So for us as a Club, his direct message is really clear. We have a responsibility to do what he can’t. To learn, to develop and to leave no stone unturned to be as successful as we can be, individually, and as a group. That’s our responsibility, and one we’ve talked to the players about already.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-03-11/steven-trigg-statement

For now though, our absolute focus is on supporting Caron, Darcy and Mitch - and we’ve put everything into that area we can. They’ve had a horrible three months and a very challenging 18 months in reality and so our heartfelt sympathy and support is with them now and into the future.

These two sentaces in our CEO's statement stood out to me. First one is obvious, the second one is about respect and loyalty.

Glad Melbourne supporters feel this way. I must admit I've been pondering how his legacy would be perceived given that the AFL made him the fall-guy for the tanking fiasco.
It sounds like most have a more reasonable view of the situation.
Vale Dean Bailey.

I thought the same thing too, had a peak around to see their thoughts. His death has been felt by a few Clubs today directly and the AFL overall......:(

I'm a Port fan - I'd just like to pass on my sincere condolences to the Adelaide Football Club. I fondly remember the best wishes from many Crows fans (among others) when our club lost John McCarthy 18 months ago (is it really that long already???), and I'm more than happy to return the favour today, in sharing my thoughts about Dean Bailey.

Above everything else, Dean was a fantastic bloke, and his football brain was absolutely brilliant. I have no doubt that Adelaide's startling rise to the 2012 preliminary final was due in no small part to Bailey's expertise, and as others have already stated, he played a key role in Port's 2004 premiership. I'm also of the opinion that he was harshly dealt with as coach of Melbourne. The Demons had won 8 games that year, and since Bailey's departure, they've barely won a game.

So in closing, it's a very sad day for the football community as a whole, and for the Bailey family in particular. My deepest sympathies go to all who knew him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club really should have been more forthcoming, or if that was against Dean's wishes, said nothing at all. Everyone knowledgeable could see he had weeks/months left, yet here we all are feeling shocked that he suddenly passed. It would've been preferable if the club had either been truthful/stayed silent on the matter rather than release the few strangely positive snippets they did.

RIP Dean. Hope the club gets something positive out of the experience, and his time here was good for him. I thought he did an excellent job from what I've heard and the players and other staff all seemed to like him.

A sad day for both of our clubs

should the showdown trophy be renamed the Dean Bailey trophy?
A sad day for both of our clubs

should the showdown trophy be renamed the Dean Bailey trophy?
The Bailey family should be consulted of course but I think this would be a great idea.

Sad days like this makes all the petty rivalries between fans, agony over whether your star player's missing a game or two with injury etc seem very trivial issue indeed.

The club really should have been more forthcoming, or if that was against Dean's wishes, said nothing at all. Everyone knowledgeable could see he had weeks/months left, yet here we all are feeling shocked that he suddenly passed. It would've been preferable if the club had either been truthful/stayed silent on the matter rather than release the few strangely positive snippets they did.

RIP Dean. Hope the club gets something positive out of the experience, and his time here was good for him. I thought he did an excellent job from what I've heard and the players and other staff all seemed to like him.

I don't think the club necessarily deserves criticism, it's more that the public in general don't like to hear or admit that someone has only a few months to live.

There was a 4 corners documentary a few years back, titled "a good death", that doctors in this country focus to heavily on life extension (which causes pain and fragility), instead of trying to improve quality of life.

Video here

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2010/s2810506.htm

And a quote from the website

It's a telling statistic that seven out of ten Australians die what might be called an "expected death". In many cases doctors can tell patients roughly how long they have to live. In reality, only a few take advantage of those warnings. Instead they prefer to believe that somehow modern medicine will save them. Now a small group of doctors and nurses are warning that our obsession with curing illness is leaving patients poorly cared for and unprepared for death.

We have lost a gentleman and a scholar!

RIP Bails

"Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back