Women's Footy RIP - GWS AFLW player Jacinda Barclay has passed away aged 29

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hi all, it has been announced on the AFLW Forum, but I thought I'd gather the information and any comment and condolences into a separate thread.

Tragedy as Aussie sport pioneer Jacinda Barclay dies aged 29

She was once described as the Sonny Bill Williams of women’s sport and tributes are pouring in after the tragic death of Jacinda Barclay.

There wasn’t a sport Jacinda Barclay couldn’t play.

She featured in five World Cups for the Australian women’s baseball team, lined up for the GWS Giants in AFLW – and even won a championship playing quarterback in America’s Legends Football League. Aussie sport lost one of its most unique talents this week when Barclay - described ahead of her first game with the Giants in 2017 as “the Sonny Bill Williams of women’s sport” died. She was 29.

Tributes have begun flowing on social media from devastated former teammates, who remembered the West Australian product as the perfect person to go into battle with in the sporting arena.

“The news is devastating and our hearts are breaking,” wrote Steph Mur, who played with Barclay at the Chicago Bliss. “Jacinda lived a life that most people could only imagine. She was an elite multi-sport athlete constantly shredding boundaries around the world. She was every coach and players’ dream- a fearless leader full of positivity, vast knowledge, eagerness to grow and dedication to every team member. More importantly, she was an all-round badass person. I feel honoured to have played alongside you and more importantly to have known your beautiful energy and bubbly, comedic personality. Your brightness will never stop shining in our hearts. Rest easy Cinda!”

“She was a naturally talented multi-sport athlete, who was driven, ambitious and a leader that was fighting demons none of us knew about. I am absolutely heartbroken and in complete shock.”

Phoebe Monahan, who played with Barclay at the GWS Giants, wrote: “Rest easy Barcs.”

Barclay grew up in Perth playing Aussie Rules against boys before turning her eye to the baseball diamond. A right-armed pitcher, she was playing state baseball at the age of 15 before making the national team at age 17 for the 2008 World Cup in Japan. She was part of the silver-medal winning outfit in Venezuela in 2010 before also playing in 2012, 2014 and 2016. Intrigued by American football, Barclay attempted to play in the then-named Lingerie Football League in 2012 but was hampered by visa issues. So she learned the game in Australia - and learned it fast, leading the NSW Surge to the championship in the sole season of LFL Australia in 2013-14. After being named the best offensive player in the league she eventually made it to the States a couple of years later and also won a title there in her first season.

The Giants came calling ahead of the inaugural AFLW season in 2017, picking her up in the draft. She played 23 games with GWS, which said on social media it was “deeply saddened” by her passing.

Capture - Jacinda.PNG

The GIANTS are deeply saddened by the passing of AFLW player Jacinda Barclay. Jacinda played 23 games for the GIANTS across four seasons after being drafted from the UNSW-ES Bulldogs with pick 65 in the inaugural 2016 AFLW Draft.

GIANTS Chief Executive David Matthews said: “Jacinda was a much-loved member of the GIANTS family and we are all devastated by her passing,” said Mr Matthews. “Jacinda gave up a great deal to follow her sporting dreams around the world and we are grateful that she called our club home for four years. As an inaugural GIANTS AFLW player, Jacinda was a vital part of our club. More than that though, Jacinda’s spirit and infectious personality made her a popular and unforgettable member of the GIANTS family. She will always be a part of our club. Our thoughts and condolences are with Jacinda’s family and friends during this extremely tough time.”

1602625094081.png

The devastated family of Aussie sporting marvel Jacinda Barclay have released a statement following her tragic death announced on Wednesday.

The 29-year-old died this week and her body was on Monday found inside her Chidlow home near Perth, according to WA Police. Tributes to Barclay on Wednesday poured in from former teammates and admirers, who remembered the West Australian product as the perfect person to go into battle with in the sporting arena. Her Aussie-Kiwi family then released a joint statement on Wednesday afternoon to ask that she be remembered as the daring, vibrant star that was loved by so many.

“She was a shining comet that soared through this world casting her radiant light of love on all she met,” the statement said. “Though that comet has now shattered into a million pieces, the memory of it will remain a beacon for all women in high profile sports to strive to excel, to dare to be great while staying humble and proud. The Whanau request that you respect our privacy at this sad time.”

The AFLW also released a statement on Wednesday, passing on its “deepest compassion” to the family.

Need to talk to someone?

Don't go it alone. Please reach out for help.

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or lifeline.org.au
Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636 or beyondblue.org.au
Beyond Blue's coronavirus support service: 1800 512 348 or coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800 or kidshelpline.com.au
Headspace: 1800 650 890 or headspace.org.au

Last edited:

Jacinda was a brilliant hard-nosed athlete. She will be missed by sport lovers, but even bigger than that, sincere condolences to all of her teammates, friends, and family.

I second this.

And please everyone if you are struggling reach out and talk to someone..the world is an uncertain place right now but youre not alone..people will help and they do care.

Condolences to her family and the gws community.

A beautiful story about Jacinda's social activism, energy and compassion - well worth a read.

Jacinda Barclay lived more in her days on earth than most of us could squeeze out of a dozen lifetimes.

The death of the AFLW, baseball and American football player, announced on Wednesday, has devastated Australian sport. If there is any comfort in her heartbreaking story, it is that she got to see major societal shifts happen across the world — ones she had pushed for since the start of her career. Her demand for equality in women’s sport, reconciliation and many other topics some are too scared to speak out about came screaming through in her public persona.

While advancing women’s sport and Australia’s attitude towards it became her bread and butter, Barclay’s genuine social conscience had seen her flood social media with messages supporting equality movements. The Black Lives Matter movement is just one of many causes she championed, particularly since she lived in America on-and-off in recent years.

She also highlighted the powerful role sport can play in challenging social views. In 2019, Barclay posted a message on her Instagram account, speaking out in support of former Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes when his documentaries — The Australian Dream and The Final Quarter — were released.

Barclay was a pure athletic marvel and was naturally gifted at every sport she played. Her raw enthusiasm for competition shone through in every thing she did. It was a huge part of her life.

Dang, this is terrible news. GWS was one one of very few teams I enjoyed watching in the AFLW in the first couple of seasons and was a standout to me. I give my give my deepest and most sincerest condolences to her family and friends. RIP.

PS. Mental health is nothing to mess with, so please reach out. Also, on AFLW as a whole, I say this as someone who knows a couple of AFLW players personally, but please think before you start making insensitive comments about women's footy. These girls are only part-time athletes competing in a competition that is very much still in it's infancy.

😥😥😥😥😥😥

I remember reading an article on how she had to do her pre-season training with a sherrin on an elastic leash because she was working on an oil rig off the coast of WA and if the ball went over the side, that was it, she only had the one.

Incredibly versatile, multi-sport pioneer.

She will be missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP

till the saints came along i followed the giants,beeson was my fav,but liked Barclay also

I second this.

And please everyone if you are struggling reach out and talk to someone..the world is an uncertain place right now but youre not alone..people will help and they do care.

Condolences to her family and the gws community.

I too... Condolences to her family and the gws community.
[/QUOTE]

Rest In Peace Jacinda :brokenheart:

Like so many above have raised in this thread but many other threads across Big Footy regarding Mental Health, if you are struggling reach out, you are not alone. Big Footy has so many little communities within from Team Threads to individual interests where many within have close contacts, never be afraid to PM somebody on Big Footy

If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

For further information about depression, contact beyondblue on 1300 22 4636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

The devastated family of Aussie sporting marvel Jacinda Barclay have released a statement following her tragic death announced on Wednesday. The 29-year-old died this week and her body was on Monday found inside her Chidlow home near Perth, according to WA Police. Tributes to Barclay on Wednesday poured in from former teammates and admirers, who remembered the West Australian product as the perfect person to go into battle with in the sporting arena.

Her Aussie-Kiwi family then released a joint statement on Wednesday afternoon to ask that she be remembered as the daring, vibrant star that was loved by so many. “She was a shining comet that soared through this world casting her radiant light of love on all she met,” the statement said. “Though that comet has now shattered into a million pieces, the memory of it will remain a beacon for all women in high profile sports to strive to excel, to dare to be great while staying humble and proud. The Whanau request that you respect our privacy at this sad time.”

The AFLW also released a statement on Wednesday, passing on its “deepest compassion” to the family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back