RIP Harley Balic

Remove this Banner Ad

That is really sad. What did he die of?
They said emergency services were called to a hotel on Nepean Highway around 11.50am on Sunday.
“A 24-year-old-Highett man was located deceased. The death is not being treated as suspicious.’’

It was his birthday on Wednesday.

Former Fremantle midfielder Harley Balic has died aged just 25.

Balic played four games for the Dockers in 2017 after being drafted with pick 38 in the 2015 national draft.

The former Sandringham Dragons player requested a trade home at the end of the 2017 season for personal reasons, and landed at Melbourne.

Balic played in Peel Thunder’s 2016 premiership victory over Subiaco, collecting 20 disposals in the 23-point win.

Balic retired during the 2018 season.

“It was an easy decision in the end, as I’ve thought about it for a little while now,” Balic told Melbourne’s website.

“It’s something I’m not going to regret and I’m very appreciative to Melbourne for letting me come to the club for a second chance.

“I’ve always loved football, but my heart’s not in it and everything ends up being a grind and I think it’s just the right thing to do.

“The [club’s] VFL and AFL [teams] are both going to be successful this year and it’s something I’d love to be a part of, if I loved it, but unfortunately I don’t and it’s time to go out into the real world and see what else is out there for me.”

SO SO SO YOUNG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please keep this respectful and afford Harley Balic his dignity. Tragic.

Rest in Peace.

Is suicide amongst AFL players higher than the rest of society? If not, pretty hard to blame the AFL for someone having depression.
I've seen several players fall off the rails after failing to get drafted there is no training to help deal with your footy life ending

Horrible news. Sadly he won’t be the last. It’s hard to comprehend the struggles one could face at 25 that they can’t see any other way out. Condolences to his family and those close to him.

Really sad.

Had to look up a couple of interviews with him as I’d really not kept up with his career after he was drafted to Freo.

Very softly spoken guy. Seemed overawed at every point of his footy journey. Slipped in the draft despite being outwardly the kind of player recruiters love - 6’2, already strong, athletic, good goal sense. Really similar player to Taranto who went Pick 2 the following year.

Sounds like he was very homesick in WA, sustained a couple of long term injuries and was already pretty vulnerable when he returned back to Vic.

Heartbreaking for his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back