RIP Mad Magazine.

Remove this Banner Ad

The decline of the magazine is inevitable and this was always going to happen but in those dim dark ages before the internet Mad was one of those things that as a kid made you realise there might be a bit more going on out there than people were letting on. Vale Alfred E Neuman.

The decline of the magazine is inevitable and this was always going to happen but in those dim dark ages before the internet Mad was one of those things that as a kid made you realise there might be a bit more going on out there than people were letting on. Vale Alfred E Neuman.
That sucks. Still have a big collection under the house.

Still have a big collection. I always loved the fold ins on the back cover and Spy vs Spy.

Yeah. Some of both.

Haven't seen one in probably 20 years (there's a lesson in that) but they were tremendous. Inherited a cousin's collection at the end of primary school and Dad had a few from the 70s.

And once you got bored of the fold ins and the lighter side of and took the time to look at the wordier sections you found that was where a lot of the genius was. Thankfully the Australian versions that I remember were probably 75/25 ratio in favour of US content. The Australian stuff had the local relevance; the US stuff was far superior in every other way.

I still pull out a bit regularly that has somehow become tattoed in my memory from an old Mad. Whenever I'm with someone and we go past a lighthouse, I'll say 'You know the name "lighthouse" is a misnomer: they actually weigh several hundred tonnes'.

It was great back when a kid (born 73, so the 80's was my Mad Magazine time). I loved Spy v. Spy (Team black), but magazines (Newsagents in general really) are a dying breed. I know my boys (13 & 11) haven't seen a Mad at our place. I doubt at school or any friends either. Magazines in general they'd never pick up. It's a bit sad from a Nostalgia point of view, but I wouldn't be trading no internet for that world to be back if I had the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was another 80s kid that bought Mad mags religiously, had a great collection but my old man threw them all out after I left home and left them in the garage.

I remember returning to ask him where they were and he was like "I did a bit of cleanout and threw them all out", he also threw out all our old board games.

Had no concept that they might have sentimental value from our childhood.

My old 80s collection would probably be worth a pretty penny now.

The early to mid 80s Mad mags were peak Mad, they were all legit US content but then the Aussie content crept in and you could tell the difference.

The US cartoonists parodies of films and tv shows were bang on with the likenesses, the Aussie cartoonists doing parodies of Home and Away, yeah nah.

Don Martin was my favourite Mad cartoonist.

My favourite cartoon of his was a down and out ventriloquist telling his mate that he'd lost his job, his wife had left him and he wanted to end it all.

The words he was saying were coming out of the bottle of booze he was drinking.

His mate then said "Oh come on Seymour that's the booze talking".

Even as a kid I realised how brilliant that was and have never forgotten it.

Last edited:
I was another 80s kid that bought Mad mags religiously, had a great collection but my old man threw them all out after I left home and left them in the garage.

I remember returning to ask him where they were and he was like "I did a bit of cleanout and threw them all out", he also threw out all our old board games.

The early to mid 80s Mad mags were peak Mad, they were all legit US content but then the Aussie content crept in and you could tell the difference.

The US cartoonists parodies of films and tv shows were bang on with the likenesses, the Aussie cartoonists doing parodies of Home and Away, yeah nah.

My favourite cartoon of his was a down and out ventriloquist telling his mate that he'd lost lost his job, his wife had left him he and he wanted to end it all.

You always nail nostalgia and sentiment – a bit of a less is more approach. Let the personal versions of our feelings fill in the gaps.

You got a missile now or something?

Never got into it....Always saw it as trying just a bit too hard to be different as a kid....A Pseudo, confected point of difference.
You never thought that when you were a child.

My favourite cartoon of his was a down and out ventriloquist telling his mate that he'd lost lost his job, his wife had left him he and he wanted to end it all.

I remember that one exactly.

Also the one where the guy brings his parents back to meet his girlfriend.

"Mom, dad, you will love her. She's the type you never see any more, an old-fashioned girl! Sweetie, I'm home!"

Girl walks out starkers "Is that you dear?"

They did a tasteful nude for the discerning 9 year old.

How sad. Something else from my youth gone. My brother and I used to fight over who got to do the back cover fold in first. Many an early night to bed was the outcome. RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back