RIP Mark Lanegan

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news - an amazing voice and a frequent visitor to Australia
Screaming Trees, QOTSA and a significant solo career. He certainly left a legacy

He did leave a great legacy indeed. Always felt that QOTSA best material was with him on vocals. A bit the Ying to Josh’s yang if you may.

This video summed up how good he was for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad news. The Screaming Trees never got as much limelight as they deserved. Fellow musicians knew how good he was though.
A couple of months ago I read an excerpt from the memoirs he wrote about his battle with covid. He went through hell. But the writing was brilliant.
Assuming he never fully recovered.
Have ordered his book. Cant wait to read it, but there will be sadness to go with it now. Rock In Peace Mark.

Last edited:
The song that started it all. I remember hearing it first on the ‘Singles’ soundtrack way back in about ‘92.

God I love that song. Apparently he hated it lol. Got a mix of his stuff on now and toasting his memory with a few Jamiesons. Saw him with Screaming Trees at one of the Big Day Outs, with QUOTSA at the Palace in Melbourne (loudest concert I've ever been to - ears rang for 3 days). Many other solo shows on his visits to Melbourne. Signed set list will now hold a very special place in my music memorabilia. Sigh.

God I love that song. Apparently he hated it lol. Got a mix of his stuff on now and toasting his memory with a few Jamiesons. Saw him with Screaming Trees at one of the Big Day Outs, with QUOTSA at the Palace in Melbourne (loudest concert I've ever been to - ears rang for 3 days). Many other solo shows on his visits to Melbourne. Signed set list will now hold a very special place in my music memorabilia. Sigh.

Read his book "Sing Backwards And Weep". His hatred for his old band - and many of the songs - basically drips off the pages!

Read his book "Sing Backwards And Weep". His hatred for his old band - and many of the songs - basically drips off the pages!

Yeah I read it too. F me, he'd been through so much I thought nothing could kill the man.

I'm posting my Shane Warne post in Mark's thread because both losses are just unbelievably saddening and gone too early. I feel like I took the wrong turn down the future path around the New Year 2019/20 because nothing but shite has happened since. These 2 losses in the same fortnight, well...you think things can't get any worse and they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The song that started it all. I remember hearing it first on the ‘Singles’ soundtrack way back in about ‘92.

The 90’s,awesome times but alot of the musicians from that scene with huge drug problems.

I thank them for getting rid of hairspray rock though,best.

I've been a bit slow to get in here to pay tribute to the great man with the voice drenched in whiskey and honey. It's not through a lack of want or passion to do so, that's for sure.

So many great Lanegan gigs, from the Trees at The Palace 1995 (Sweet Oblivion Tour), to his QOTSA cameos, to a few solo gigs at smaller more intimate venues.

It will always amaze me how much the loss of a person I never actually met impacts me emotionally. Cornell dying broke my heart more than losing some people I'd known all my life.

Sweet Oblivion is in my top 3 records of all time - it still gets repeated plays almost 30 years after it first came to my attention. Like, cover to cover, and then around again in the same session. I just can't get sick of it, and Mark's vocals, along with the incredible swirling and driving power of the guitarist Connor bro's, hits me in the guts Every. Single. Time.

At least he didn't take the music with him. We've still got that when we need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back