Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest

A hard fighter who was in his prime when there were quite a few others in the same middleweight division.

The fights between Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran were some of the best ever.

A hard fighter who was in his prime when there were quite a few others in the same middleweight division.

The fights between Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran were some of the best ever.

Wow. Loved him as a fighter. Head like concrete, was equally as good left or right handed and had an iron will to win.

Probably didn't get the kudos he deserved during his career though. That first round with Hearns was something else and I still think he beat Leonard.

What a round. I got tired watching it.

I liked when the ref goes to step in, they both throw punches, the ref does a Grandpa Simpson and retreats.

One of the 4 kings before the alphabet soup of belts protects the best fighters from fighting the best.
His ring craft, as with the other 3, was able to be fully appreciated as they all stepped up to the plate as soon as the opportunity presented.
A generous man with his time latter in life as well.

What a round. I got tired watching it.

I liked when the ref goes to step in, they both throw punches, the ref does a Grandpa Simpson and retreats.

Hagler copped a nasty gash in the first round and blood was pouring down his face & into his eyes. The ref asked him if he was alright and if he could see. Hagler replies “I’m hitting him, aren’t I?”

One of the great middleweights and one of my favourite fighters in the 80s.

I remember reading a Sports Illustrated interview with Hagler when he said one of his toughest fights was with Bennie Briscoe (another great middle) at the Philly Spectrum in 1978. Hagler said he wasn't sure anyone sitting in the cheap seats knew who was winning a 10 round brawl between two bald black fighters.

https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/on...ds-via-10-round-decision-over-bennie-briscoe/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back