News RIP Matt Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Big loss to the industry, and obviously devastating for his family. Rest in peace, big guy.

I remember sending Rendell an email back around 2008 suggesting the name of some country footballer with impressive sounding stats, as if I were some kind of recruiting guru, haha. He wrote back and told me he wouldn't pick a player without having watched them play, then randomly let me know some inside information about Fremantle planning to sign up Craig Moller (who later played a single AFL game in 2013 before becoming an international basketballer) on the NSW Scholarship Program. I spoke to some people on the Freo board here on Bigfooty (just giving the initials CM, not the full name) and they had heard nothing about it. But then Freo signed him the following week. I remember thinking at the time, why did Rendell tell me? I was some idiot sending a dumb email. He should have blocked my email address, or at the very least politely fobbed me off. Instead he gave me an inside scoop?

The guy just loved talking about footy. He was working for an AFL club and still took time to respond to random fans sending him dumb garbage. We exchanged a few more emails over the next couple of years and he always responded - always. Again, I was just some idiot with nothing to contribute, but he took the time to write back anyway. I always appreciated that.

I also remember telling my friends that he had loose lips. If he was willing to give me a scoop on a player about to be signed to another club, what was he saying to reporters with ulterior motives? I remember saying, one day he's going to say something he shouldn't, or to someone he shouldn't, and he's going to get taken down. And sure enough, he said something which in substance was entirely reasonable, but said it in a way that enabled certain people with an agenda to rip him to shreds. It didn't seem fair then and ten years later it still doesn't seem fair. At least he seemed to land on his feet in the footy industry and was still able to contribute in various capacities for the next decade.

The footy world is a less colourful place for Rendell's loss. Hopefully he's spinning a yarn and laughing about footy somewhere right now.

Big loss to the industry, and obviously devastating for his family. Rest in peace, big guy.

I remember sending Rendell an email back around 2008 suggesting the name of some country footballer with impressive sounding stats, as if I were some kind of recruiting guru, haha. He wrote back and told me he wouldn't pick a player without having watched them play, then randomly let me know some inside information about Fremantle planning to sign up Craig Moller (who later played a single AFL game in 2013 before becoming an international basketballer) on the NSW Scholarship Program. I spoke to some people on the Freo board here on Bigfooty (just giving the initials CM, not the full name) and they had heard nothing about it. But then Freo signed him the following week. I remember thinking at the time, why did Rendell tell me? I was some idiot sending a dumb email. He should have blocked my email address, or at the very least politely fobbed me off. Instead he gave me an inside scoop?

The guy just loved talking about footy. He was working for an AFL club and still took time to respond to random fans sending him dumb garbage. We exchanged a few more emails over the next couple of years and he always responded - always. Again, I was just some idiot with nothing to contribute, but he took the time to write back anyway. I always appreciated that.

I also remember telling my friends that he had loose lips. If he was willing to give me a scoop on a player about to be signed to another club, what was he saying to reporters with ulterior motives? I remember saying, one day he's going to say something he shouldn't, or to someone he shouldn't, and he's going to get taken down. And sure enough, he said something which in substance was entirely reasonable, but said it in a way that enabled certain people with an agenda to rip him to shreds. It didn't seem fair then and ten years later it still doesn't seem fair. At least he seemed to land on his feet in the footy industry and was still able to contribute in various capacities for the next decade.

The footy world is a less colourful place for Rendell's loss. Hopefully he's spinning a yarn and laughing about footy somewhere right now.
Yep, we were the same with him when we used to have regular chats with him when they were in QLD, and he just loved to talk footy. I remember also saying when the incident went down his loose lips were bound to get him into strife somewhere along the way. Truly lovely bloke.

Yep, we were the same with him when we used to have regular chats with him when they were in QLD, and he just loved to talk footy. I remember also saying when the incident went down his loose lips were bound to get him into strife somewhere along the way. Truly lovely bloke.
The worst part of that while saga was the man intended no harm whatsoever but was left to hang by the footy world ... Especially the gutless mob running the AFC at the time looking for their own best interests

The worst part of that while saga was the man intended no harm whatsoever but was left to hang by the footy world ... Especially the gutless mob running the AFC at the time looking for their own best interests
Disagree. Vlad gave them absolutely no choice.

He told you something about another club that had already been sorted. Perhaps we had lost out him

That’s not loose lips. That’s undermining another club at worst with very low currency information

I’m fine, that was 8 years ago.

Go to the gym regularly (fitter than I’ve ever been), don’t eat much crap food anymore, drink red wine.

My only concern now is a few right wing posters who literally give me the shits 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just look after yourself, this is no dress rehearsal.

I hope you did a better job of swearing off junk food than you did the politics thread. not so successful each time you've done the latter.

The man has passed away and they still tarnish his name by bringing up what he accidently said, which iirc he instantly retracted yet the journalist still chose to publish. A man's entire life of playing and contributing to footy but that's what they focus on, what an absolute joke.

The man has passed away and they still tarnish his name by bringing up what he accidently said, which iirc he instantly retracted yet the journalist still chose to publish. A man's entire life of playing and contributing to footy but that's what they focus on, what an absolute joke.

he didn't retract, he provided context. What he said was 100% spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in a race to the bottom as to who can lead the least (publically) offensive life ever.

One of the great contradictions are those people who, at a single word or sentence, can pick up their pitchforks and demand blood yet in another breath will be alll like 'nobody's perfect' 'everyone deserves a second chance' 'learn from your mistakes'

We are in a race to the bottom as to who can lead the least (publically) offensive life ever.

One of the great contradictions are those people who, at a single word or sentence, can pick up their pitchforks and demand blood yet in another breath will be alll like 'nobody's perfect' 'everyone deserves a second chance' 'learn from your mistakes'

it's called hypocrisy and there's a lot of it going around.

RIP

He did say some odd things in the media sometimes but this is the man that picked Danger isn't it? That right there makes him a recruiting legend.
Rest In peace Matt Rendell.

I remember him as the crows scout from 2007-2011.

And yep he made that brave call in 2007 choosing Dangerfield over Ebert

Always sad to hear a Crows former staff to have passed away. Rest In Peace Matt.

A good reminder for us all to better take care of ourselves. Don’t take footy too seriously, it might help lower your blood pressure.

RIP to the great man. Amazing period drafting for us starting with Danger along with nailing all other first rounders. And a genuinely good guy

And isnt there posters here still saying our recruiters dont get overruled by coaches. Happened to Rendell also being over ruled. Even Phil Bunn admitted it on Perth radio also at one point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back