News RIP Matt Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a serious question. Did Matt have any known condition that may have led to this? So devastating and sudden.

Depends on how seriously he took medicals. Members of my extended family get to late 40s and don't think that they need to see a doctor as they have always been fine so they miss out on early signals. Had two die from heart attacks in late 50s and when I got to near 50 and started having tests having the doctor go" in excellent shape, should cut back the drinking a bit, could lose another 5 kegs but you're on cholesterol tabs for the rest of your life, don't want a heart attack in your late 50s ha ha ha".

Not saying that is the case with Matt just with people I know, even some who have heart attacks go "all the warning signs where there"

Depends on how seriously he took medicals. Members of my extended family get to late 40s and don't think that they need to see a doctor as they have always been fine so they miss out on early signals. Had two die from heart attacks in late 50s and when I got to near 50 and started having tests having the doctor go" in excellent shape, should cut back the drinking a bit, could lose another 5 kegs but you're on cholesterol tabs for the rest of your life, don't want a heart attack in your late 50s ha ha ha".

Not saying that is the case with Matt just with people I know, even some who have heart attacks go "all the warning signs where there"
Thanks for that. It's always a worry as you get older. Maybe we take everything for granted.

To put some of my favourite context around the entirely manufactured outrage of his comments that led to his sacking as our recruiter

He sounded the alarm and said unless something was done, you’d end up in an industry wide trend where indigenous players without at least one white parent wouldn’t be drafted - the risk and the welfare requirements would be too much for clubs. Seems a bit prescient when you look at the Hawthorn scandal

However, for all those that think he was expressing some form racial prejudice and intention I’d ask you to consider the final player he drafted for the Crows: Cameron Ellis Yolman.

For those who don’t know, can you guess how many white parents CEY has?

And the AFL railroaded this man from his job over a guidance and opinion he DEMONSTRATED that he was not beholden too

Vale. At least he went quickly albeit far too young

Last edited:
Just a serious question. Did Matt have any known condition that may have led to this? So devastating and sudden.
Age. Fitness. Diet. It can get you when you least expect it. My hubby and I have just lived this very trauma with a close friend while we were travelling. He was 65, fit (walked and gymed). He loved a red wine, and ate mostly clean. Suffered a heart attack as we stepped off the plane at Heathrow (dvt). I knew Matty was in strife when I heard he’d been found after suffering a heart attack (assuming CPR had taken place). 😢 So sad.

To put some of my favourite context around the entirely manufactured outrage of his comments that led to his sacking as our recruiter

He sounded the alarm and said unless something was done, you’d end up in an industry wide trend where indigenous players without at least one white parent wouldn’t be drafted - the risk and the welfare requirements would be too much for clubs. Seems a bit prescient when you look at the Hawthorn scandal

However, for all those that think he was expressing some form racial prejudice and intention I’d ask you to consider the final player he drafted for the Crows: Cameron Ellis Yolman.

And the AFL railroaded this man from his job over a guidance and opinion he DEMONSTRATED that he was not beholden too

A person had an agenda……… I still agree with what he had to say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that. It's always a worry as you get older. Maybe we take everything for granted.

As men, we don't go to doctors much and that is fine but you wouldn't drive your car for 3 years and not get a service. Pretty much as soon as you start hitting the 40s, look to get a yearly check up, have your blood tests and be honest about family history. Sure, they tell you that you are too fat and drink too much (and to be honest, the doctor didn't even look up at me and said it) but better for them to know what to look for and warn you.

Also, they get a bit antsy if you're still on the darts and get really dramatic ( family member told me :) ) but scared him into quitting smoking so all good

Age. Fitness. Diet. It can get you when you least expect it. My hubby and I have just lived this very trauma with a close friend while we were travelling. He was 65, fit (walked and gymed). He loved a red wine, and ate mostly clean. Suffered a heart attack as we stepped off the plane at Heathrow (dvt). I knew Matty was in strife when I heard he’d been found after suffering a heart attack (assuming CPR had taken place). 😢 So sad.
Makes you think doesnt it when you hear news of this. Make the most of the time you have.

Makes you think doesnt it when you hear news of this. Make the most of the time you have.
Yep. We took his wife and his ashes back home and then made the tough decision to come back. Because you just never know how long we have.

And let's not forget that the observation he made in that meeting with those $hit$tains was a good couple of months prior to his scandal. What he said only became important after Jurrah had macheted someone in Central Australia.

And let's not forget that the observation he made in that meeting with those $hit$tains was a good couple of months prior to his scandal. What he said only became important after Jurrah had macheted someone in Central Australia.
At a similar time when A McLeod was posting letters to all the indigenous players in the AFL basically saying to pull their heads in and knuckle down and not waste the opportunity they have been given

None of us know what is happening internally in our bodies. We can have an inkling tho.

I was having regularly annual checkups with my GP, I was having annual blood tests and whilst I had slightly elevated blood pressure and a bit overweight (but not excessive) it didn’t stop me from having a heart attack at 53. The person who was most surprised was my GP.

Stress plays a major factor, the best advice was from my GP who 12 months before the heart attack he wanted me out of my management job (which I did within 6 months) but it didn’t stop me still having the heart attack 6 months after I left that job.

For all of you, get regular heart checks and especially so if there is a family history. Don’t try and be a hero.

When I heard that Matt was in a critical condition I feared the worst.

Matt Rendell was my mothers favourite West Torrens player.

None of us know what is happening internally in our bodies. We can have an inkling tho.

I was having regularly annual checkups with my GP, I was having annual blood tests and whilst I had slightly elevated blood pressure and a bit overweight (but not excessive) it didn’t stop me from having a heart attack at 53. The person who was most surprised was my GP.

Stress plays a major factor, the best advice was from my GP who 12 months before the heart attack he wanted me out of my management job (which I did within 6 months) but it didn’t stop me still having the heart attack 6 months after I left that job.

For all of you, get regular heart checks and especially so if there is a family history. Don’t try and be a hero.
Great advice and I hope you are well. Covid has knock me back. I just keep having tests. A clot in my chest. My mate died of something similar to Matt early last year. Just out in the city and collapsed. He knew he had issues but was as you said a hero. I miss him.

Great advice and I hope you are well. Covid has knock me back. I just keep having tests. A clot in my chest. My mate died of something similar to Matt early last year. Just out in the city and collapsed. He knew he had issues but was as you said a hero. I miss him.

I’m fine, that was 8 years ago.

Go to the gym regularly (fitter than I’ve ever been), don’t eat much crap food anymore, drink red wine.

My only concern now is a few right wing posters who literally give me the shits 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just look after yourself, this is no dress rehearsal.

I’m fine, that was 8 years ago.

Go to the gym regularly (fitter than I’ve ever been), don’t eat much crap food anymore, drink red wine.

My only concern now is a few right wing posters who literally give me the shits 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just look after yourself, this is no dress rehearsal.
Thats good for you. You know the saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back