RIP Meat Loaf !

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Had a hell of a voice back in the day ! Thanks for the music mate !

Posted in the Port board but post it here too for relevance.

His performance at the 2011 AFL Grand Final was a sad epitaph to an epic career.

Bat Out of Hell is surely one of the best themed albums of all time. Over the top in every way - lyrics, music, performance - and utterly brilliant.

"It's never been this hot and I've never been so bored, and breathing is just no fun anymore. And then I saw you like a summer dream and you're the answer to every prayer that I ever said."

The author of those words, Jim Steinman, died last year. And now the singer has gone too. The words still resonate as we deal with covid.

But this song!!!

Ahhhh Meat - probably little me's first big 'rock idol' back in the day.

Remember my dear old Dad - whose favourite singers were Johnny Mathis & Neil Diamond - quite liked Meatloaf. I got Bat Out of Hell as a Christmas present back then. Dad didn't like my other favourite artist at the time though - Kate Bush - though I also got her album that year as a Chrissie gift lol

Meat's AFL spot was pretty sad but his voice had been going even since the 70s/80s.

I will still be viewing some Meat videos later tonight and remembering the good old days.

You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth
Bat Out of Hell
Two out of Three Aint Bad
Paradise By The Dashboard Light
- hell, I may as well play the whole damn album...
Dead Ringer for Love
Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through
I Would Do Anything For Love

Hot Patootie Bless My Soul

Cute, huh?

FJnQz73akAA7pfU

He was one of the great entertainers of his generation. Singer-Actor-TV Personality: he did it all. Bat Out of Hell is still one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time. He is infamous here for that awful performance at the 2011 AFL GF, but he was a fine performer with a good untrained voice in his day. Maybe not one of the great singers, but what he did was good. His voice deteriorated later in his life, but his charisma stayed the same. The songs he's known for will live on long past we all shuffle off this mortal coil, and that's a great legacy to leave. His performances in movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Fightclub are legendary. RIP Meat Loaf. Thanks for the good times.

Last edited:
I think most of us who didn't live through it will struggle to understand what a superstar he was when he was on, even if it was infrequent.

With Meat Loaf following Steinman, we will genuinely never hear new music like that ever again. That brand of over the top operatic theatrical pop rock metal balladry was just so unique and masterfully done, trying to blend those things required a truly once in a generation musical ability.

People talk about groups like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen as being musical pioneers and having a sound that nobody can copy, but that ain't true. There's lots of musicians who can do music that wouldn't sound out of place amongst their albums.

There will only ever be one Meat Loaf (with Steinman) though. Nobody else can do that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most of us who didn't live through it will struggle to understand what a superstar he was when he was on, even if it was infrequent.

With Meat Loaf following Steinman, we will genuinely never hear new music like that ever again. That brand of theatrical pop rock metal balladry was just so unique and masterfully done, trying to blend those things required a truly once in a generation musical ability.

People talk about groups like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen as being musical pioneers and having a sound that nobody can copy, but that ain't true. There's lots of musicians who can do music that wouldn't sound out of place amongst their albums.

There will only ever be one Meat Loaf (with Steinman) though. Nobody else can do that.

History has shown that no matter how talented a musician or group of musicians are at a particular point in time, there will always be new talent equally as impressive to replace them.

But the sad fact is that the death of the album as a format and the rise of digitalisation and streaming services means that ground breaking concept music compositions like Sgt Peppers, Pet Sounds or Bat out Hell may never be seen again and even if they do may never get the airplay that will see them get widespread attention they deserve.

It also needs to be remembered that, as Steinman himself said, it was Australian radio that played a critical role in getting the Meatloaf/Bat out of Hell masterpiece the recognition it deserved having been turned down by every major label in the US previously.

History has shown that no matter how talented a musician or group of musicians are at a particular point in time, there will always be new talent equally as impressive to replace them.

But the sad fact is that the death of the album as a format and the rise of digitalisation and streaming services means that ground breaking concept music compositions like Sgt Peppers, Pet Sounds or Bat out Hell may never be seen again and even if they do may never get the airplay that will see them get widespread attention they deserve.

It also needs to be remembered that, as Steinman himself said, it was Australian radio that played a critical role in getting the Meatloaf/Bat out of Hell masterpiece the recognition it deserved having been turned down by every major label in the US previously.

Thats unreal ! I had never heard that before !

Thats unreal ! I had never heard that before !
To be fair it was not just Australia but the UK as well. The video of (I think) 'You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth was very important for both countries.

Reckon every teenage male in Oz was more focussed on Carla than the big fella.

(Edit - it was Paradise by the Dashboard Light - and here's the brilliant live performance on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test in May 1978)

Saw him/them perform at Apollo Stadium in Adelaide just a few weeks later! Jim Steinman played keyboard for those performances with Bruce Kulick taking Rudgren's lead guitar role and Karla DeVito taking the lead female role (performed by Ellen Foley on the album).

To this day Bat out of Hell remains the biggest selling album of all time in Australia.

Last edited:
To be fair it was not just Australia but the UK as well. The video of (I think) 'You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth was very important for both countries.

Reckon every teenage male in Oz was more focussed on Carla than the big fella.

(Edit - it was Paradise by the Dashboard Light - and here's the brilliant live performance on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test in May 1978)

Saw him/them perform at Apollo Stadium in Adelaide just a few weeks later! Jim Steinman played keyboard for those performances with Bruce Kulick taking Rudgren's lead guitar role and Karla DeVito taking the lead female role (performed by Ellen Foley on the album).

To this day Bat out of Hell remains the biggest selling album of all time in Australia.

I saw him perform at a music festival here in W.A called Bindoon Rock in 1991... Rippa performance too !

Rock N Roll dreams Come Through’ is a beautiful song sung perfectly by the big man.

If only Meat had sung the 'Bad for Good' album instead of Jim Steinman (& Rory) having to do with Meat's voice issues around 1980.

Songs like 'Rock n Roll Dreams, Bad for Good & Dance in My Pants would have been huge follow-up hits to the legendary 'Bat out of Hell' songs.

Bat out of hell 2 is like poetry to me.

It's only two o'clock and the temperature's beginning to soar
And all around the city you see the walking wounded and the living dead
It's never been this hot and I've never been so bored
And breathing is just no fun anymore
And then I saw you like a summer dream
And you're the answer to every prayer that I ever said
I saw you like a summer dream and
You're the answer to every prayer that I ever said

You can feel the pulse of the pavement racing like a runaway horse
The subways are sizzling and the skin of the street is gleaming with sweat
I've seen you sitting on the steps outside
And you were looking so restless and wreckless and lost
I think it's time for you to come inside
And i'll be waiting here with something that you'll never forget
I think it's time for you to come inside
And i'll be waiting here with something that you'll never forget

Come on!
Come on!
And there'll be no turning back
You were only killing time and it will kill right back
Come on!
Come on!
It's time to burn up the fuse
You've got nothing to do and even less to lose
You've got nothing to do and even less to lose

So wander down the ancient hallway
Taking the stairs only one at a time
Follow the sound of my heartbeat now
I'm in the room at the top
You're at the end of the line
Open the door and lay down on the bed
The sun is just a ball of desire

And I wanna take you out of the frying pan (and into the)
Out of the frying pan (and into the)
Out of the frying pan (and into the fire)
And into the fire! fire! fire!

It's all or nothing
And nothing's all I ever get
Every time I turn it on
I burn it up and burn it out
It's always something
There's always something going wrong
That's the only guarantee
That's what this is all about
It's a never ending attack
Everything's a lie and that's a fact
Life is a lemon
And I want my money back

How someone can turn a cheesy tacky saying like good girls go to heaven bad girls go everywhere in to this

No one said it had to be real (had to be real)
But it's gotta be something you can reach out and feel now
It ain't right, it ain't fair
Castles fall in the sand and we fade in the air
And the good girls go to heaven
But the bad girls go everywhere

I know he didn't write most of them, but nobody else could deliver them like that does, with the power and sincerity that transcends the utterly ridiculous nature of it all.

God damn that album is definitely back in the car tonight for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Bat out of hell 2 is like poetry to me.

How someone can turn a cheesy tacky saying like good girls go to heaven bad girls go everywhere in to this

I know he didn't write most of them, but nobody else could deliver them like that does, with the power and sincerity that transcends the utterly ridiculous nature of it all.

God damn that album is definitely back in the car tonight for the rest of the week.

The composition of Steinmans monologue "Wasted Youth" into the Powerful rebellious "Everything louder than everything else" right in the middle of the album fits like a glove! the peak high point of the album which than leads in to the more subdued sleazy "Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)" and the calm ending to the rest of the Album. Goddam it that album is Awesome when listened in its entirety! The compositions of the songs are just perfect!

The composition of Steinmans monologue "Wasted Youth" into the Powerful rebellious "Everything louder than everything else" right in the middle of the album fits like a glove! the peak high point of the album which than leads in to the more subdued sleazy "Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)" and the calm ending to the rest of the Album. Goddam it that album is Awesome when listened in its entirety! The compositions of the songs are just perfect!

I love you daddy, but you've got a learn to learn about ROCK AND ROLL

I could just post the whole album really.

I love you daddy, but you've got a hell of a lot to learn about ROCK AND ROLL

I could just post the whole album really.

"Everything Louder than Everything Else" is my favorited song on the album

who am I and why am I here?
forget the question' someone give me another beer"

if you don't worry about the future sooner or later it'll be the past

What lyrics!

I just love that song its every ratbag youths thinking, A reminder to mentally always stay young.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back