Sports RIP Muhammad Ali - The Greatest

Remove this Banner Ad

Charles Manson is from Kentucky.

a4s_manson032009b_60935a_8col.jpg

VALE threads are the exclusive domain of ManWithNoShame. You'll be in s**t for starting this in his absence.
I gave plenty of time. Hope he forgives me tho :(
This is what happens when someone other than him starts a Vale thread -- thread off track about Kentucky (which I find interesting), but MWNN wouldn't stand for it, everyone would be on their best behavior focusing on tributes to Ali.

Jim Crow laws saw y'all right after the war.

Didn't restore land or wealth stripped away.
Virtually went from the penthouse to the outhouse .

Entire family spread west (became farm workers) or north (factory workers).

Nwver met most of the extended family as all lost touch over the next generation

Have you ever seen the Ken Burns doco on the Civil War, amazing stuff, one of the historians on it said to understand modern America, you need to understand the reasons for the Civil War. The old it was about slavery line doesn't come close to doing it justice.

Yep, agreed....Anything by Ken Burns is brilliant & unmissable....Wasn't till that crazy loon, John Brown, that slavery became the principal focus.

His serial time-line documentary on the history of Jazz is every bit as epic.

Have you ever seen the Ken Burns doco on the Civil War, amazing stuff, one of the historians on it said to understand modern America, you need to understand the reasons for the Civil War. The old it was about slavery line doesn't come close to doing it justice.
The south had all the resources and the north couldn't compete with their economy or work ethic/culture. Effectively the north turned to England for help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't but I'll look for it online.

Growing up in the USA we were taught the range of reasons but the slavery aspect was still emphasised as a major reason although there were far more economic and political divides leading to the civil war but populist opinion and propoganda were already around by then too

Another excellent series by Ken Burns is The West....A historical analysis of it's settlement....It's brilliant

He also did one on Baseball, if you're a fan of that sport.

No one covers the socio-cultural history of the U.S better in a documentary-style format.

Imagine if you hold openly ignorant and racist views towards the struggles of blacks across the globe and start posting RIP s**t on your FB about this bloke, ignorant to what he stood for.
Many of the views espoused by Ali could easily be interpreted as 'openly racist'.

Another excellent series by Ken Burns is The West....A historical analysis of it's settlement....It's brilliant

He also did one on Baseball, if you're a fan of that sport.

No one covers the socio-cultural history of the U.S better in a documentary-style format.
The War was really good too, I hadn't really considered WWII that much from an American point of view, so it was really interesting to see it from that perspective.

Found 720p torrents :thumbsu:
Also torrents for the Baseball and The West one :thumbsu:

This is why I love threads that evolve organically, free to move back and forth off-topic and on. From Ali, to Foreman, to Inoki, to Kentucky, Manson, Cyrus, Ken Burns, etc etc. It'll come back to Ali again too.

The War was really good too, I hadn't really considered WWII that much from an American point of view, so it was really interesting to see it from that perspective.

Think I saw the opening 10 minutes of that on ABC one Sunday afternoon years ago. Remember feeling annoyed because I wanted to hear about the war not civilians living Butt*, Minnesota.

Did you see Obama's speech in Hiroshima last week?

Digest that view.

Also torrents for the Baseball and The West one :thumbsu:

This is why I love threads that evolve organically, free to move back and forth off-topic and on. From Ali, to Foreman, to Inoki, to Kentucky, Manson, Cyrus, Ken Burns, etc etc. It'll come back to Ali again too.

This is what death threads should be about. Celebrating their legacy, their real legacy. Having some fun. Like life, just letting it flow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back