News RIP Neil Kerley

Remove this Banner Ad

😢

Quote: “One of South Australian football’s most influential and famous figures, Neil Kerley, has died in a car crash.
Kerley, a former state captain and coach who was involved at five SANFL clubs, winning four premierships, crashed on Mallee Rd, Walker Flat, in the Murraylands just before 5.30pm on Wednesday.
His car, towing a trailer, smashed through a fence into a paddock about 4km from his home. He was 88.”

Maybe a medical episode?

😢

Quote: “One of South Australian football’s most influential and famous figures, Neil Kerley, has died in a car crash.
Kerley, a former state captain and coach who was involved at five SANFL clubs, winning four premierships, crashed on Mallee Rd, Walker Flat, in the Murraylands just before 5.30pm on Wednesday.
His car, towing a trailer, smashed through a fence into a paddock about 4km from his home. He was 88.”

Maybe a medical episode?
Could be

There was some pretty heavy rain coming across at that time too

Sad day. Icon of SA football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Knuckles. You were one of a kind.

My most vivid memories of you are 1) the final minor round match at Adelaide Oval in 1957 when you stood Neil Hawke who had kicked 15 goals vs South then nine on Ron Reimann (Norwood) at Alberton, and had Hawke taken off by Fos at 3/4 time ending his brief Port career in the SANFl, and 2) your great performance as ruck-rover for SA in tandem with Freddie Bills vs the Big V on the MCG in 1963 with Fos as state coach.

So sad, great man, my father actually worked with Kerls driving trucks at the Koolymilka tent camp (Woomera) and played footy with him up there (Kerls Captain-coached them to the Premiership) during the building the town and rocket range. Really sad to go out like that. Of course Kerls went onto greater things after that

Obviously a very sad day ....an end of an era !

As a West Adelaide man, I had the pleasure of watching Kerls closely .....IMO the BEST judge of football talent I've ever seen
If, as suspected, he had a medical episode near home .....It's not the worse way to go

rest-in-peace-candle.gif

Just so sad. Arguably did more to represent SA football on the national stage than anyone else.

That vision of him with Ted Whitten as he (Whitten) did his farewell lap around the oval when he'd lost his vision is still one of the most moving things I've seen on a footy field. Years of fierce rivalry underpinned by an equally fierce respect.

9b8aa03a0b00953970510b2c34dcea8f

Vale Kerls

RIP to the great man.

I always enjoyed whenever they interviewed him on 5AA or anywhere else in the media. He came across as absolutely tough as nails but always grateful for what life had given him.

Very sad news. As a youngster watching Channel 7’s coverage, always enjoyed Kerls on the boundary for those games at Footy Park.

My seven year old memory didn’t recall, but rewatching the 94 Grand Final, saw that he was boundary riding with Dipper that day. He seemed to enjoy WC’s win, probably because we gave a Victorian club a walloping 😛

Very sad news. A life well lived, an icon of football in your great state. Vale Neil and condolences :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back