News RIP Neil Kerley

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in his age he called it right. When asked earlier in the season on a 5AA chat what was going wrong at the Crows he said "They're soft. No point sugar coating it. They don't make tough calls and they're soft".

SA footy is indebted to him. RIP Kerls.
I read this. Left it. Thought about it. Left it. Thought about it some more.

That comment from Kerls about the AFC is 100% correct. It sums it up beautifully.

Our problems for the last 20 years, stem from one issue - we are too soft. As an organisation, we don't make the hard calls.

We picked Otten in the 2017 GF, because we thought we should. Not because it was the right call.

We back the senior players in again and again, because it's too hard not to.

As usual, Kerls hit the nail on the head in the most simple way.

Was West Torrens coach for 1 year. Tried to shake the club up and achieved reasonable results. The club was not up to it.
Kerls is a true larger than life legend of Australian football.
Kerley coached West Torrens from 1977-1980. They were bottom in 1976. Made finals for first time since 1969 under Kerley in 1978 and again in 1980, which was the last finals appearance for Torrens before the merger. Reading a lot of comments from past players - they loved Kerley and were disappointed when he left to go back to coaching West. A lot of people say that 1983 West Adelaide premiership team under Kerley was the best SANFL team of all time. Of course, that’s impossible to prove, but an interesting debate!

What a legacy he left for South Australian football, including the beginning of the Crows. RIP Neil Kerley.

Fcuk them. They don't appreciate the impact this man had. Every bit the equal of Ted Whitten and possibly more.
Neil was to South Australia what Whitten was to Victoria. Cant understand why the AFL web site doesnt have a bigger expose about him. He should be a Legend of the Game not just a Hall of Famer.

Finally. Something's up there. Not good enough AFL
And when they finally posted something, the article dedicates about 10% of its space to talking about how he never went to Victoria but should have. Is it really the time or place for that?

Can’t help themselves. This league is cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neil was to South Australia what Whitten was to Victoria. Cant understand why the AFL web site doesnt have a bigger expose about him. He should be a Legend of the Game not just a Hall of Famer.
100% this.

There is a Geelong guy in the hall of fame who played 89 games from 1897 to 1902 (4 for Victoria). I'm not knocking him but that's all he did......

Yet Ken Farmer has not been made a legend of the game despite his unprecedented goal kicking feats. And Tim Evans isn't even in the hall of fame.

And don't get me started on John Elliott's smart arse comment about Barrie Robran when he was made a legend of the game.

It's the VFL HOF. We all know that

If you look at some of the old photos of Knuckles from his playing days, you can see he was way ahead of his time with his physique.

I remember him saying once he knew he had an edge on game day, as his body was hardened from physical labour/working out (pretty sure he was a tradie of some sort back then) while most of the other players had been sitting in offices all week and paid no attention to that side of things. And he’d just smash them in the physical department.

Love hearing old stories like that.

RIP.
My Grandfather of a different era would say he had a toughness about him
Admired him immensely
RIP

Because Victoria is soooo supreme compared to everyone else.
Yeah right thats according to them. I am over 70, more mature but I still hate the Vics. Since moving to QLD I have also learnt to hate the cockroaches because of a similar arrogance in how they threat Queenslanders with the NRL.

Last edited:
100% this.

There is a Geelong guy in the hall of fame who played 89 games from 1897 to 1902 (4 for Victoria). I'm not knocking him but that's all he did......

Yet Ken Farmer has not been made a legend of the game despite his unprecedented goal kicking feats. And Tim Evans isn't even in the hall of fame.

And don't get me started on John Elliott's smart arse comment about Barrie Robran when he was made a legend of the game.

It's the VFL HOF. We all know that
Yeah love your sentiments. For me the standout player that should be a legend is Ken Farmer. I been through his record and compared it to other full forwards and I havent found one that has beaten Kens record. And I am not a North supporter I am a Glenelg supporter but Ken Farmer should be a legend. Unfortunately I did the same exercise for Fred Phillis and whilst he was a great of the Bays he didnt stack up against Farmer.

Hope you guys enjoy this.

Found this online. Some classic comments very early on.

13:00… I remember that like it was yesterday.

”If they get the first three…. they’re in with a real chance…”

He realizes straight away how ridiculous that sounded out loud, in the context of the game.

And then it happened… :tearsofjoy:

What annoys me a lot is that people use the word legend or superstar for almost anyone that does 1 or 2 good things.

BUT knuckles was an absolute legend of the game and always good to listen to and here is honest, fierce opinions on football and life

Rest In Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back