RIP Paul Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking news, you couldn't find a more passionate commentator.

RIP Paul. He took over from Andy Paschelidis in 93 and then Simon Hill took over from him after Japorea 02 when his illnesses got too much. Top top person and a Glory fan at heart too.

Depression takes another scalp.

The best football commentator this country has produced. What a tragic end to a promising life. Depression is just a horrific illness.

RIP Paul.

His friend and mine, Damien Lovelock, was engaged in his life as a rock and roller on Friday night at a club on the shores of Lake Illawarra. I was there too, in the audience, pulsated by the stirring rhythms as the band thumped and bellowed a blockbuster tribute to Woodstock.

I'm sorry it's not the right place for this I guess but I find that funny as hell..Les going the mosh! Might have been smoking on a big dooby too. :D

Mr Bojangles... as unlikely as it seems today, Les was an old rock 'n' roller back in the day, used to sing in bands and everything. And yes, wasn't averse to the odd toot.

I can't get that blog to open on this computer, will have a good read when I get home tonight.

I'm sorry it's not the right place for this I guess but I find that funny as hell..Les going the mosh! Might have been smoking on a big dooby too. :D

Had a bit of laugh as well, apparently lovelock was doing woodstock covers though. Can you imagine Les at a Celibate Rifles gig?

Mr Bojangles... as unlikely as it seems today, Les was an old rock 'n' roller back in the day, used to sing in bands and everything. And yes, wasn't averse to the odd toot.

I can't get that blog to open on this computer, will have a good read when I get home tonight.

This...

Very good interview with Murray himself in the Inside Sport magazine about 13 years ago, where Murray tallked about given the choice, he would pick a good concert above a good football game...

As someone who wasnt really old enough to listen to the likes of Williams, has anyone got any links to some of his commentary? Classic calls and commentary gaffs?

As someone who wasnt really old enough to listen to the likes of Williams, has anyone got any links to some of his commentary? Classic calls and commentary gaffs?

I'd look for any of the following on You Tube:

- 97 Qualifiers v Iran
- 01 Qualifers v Uruguay
- NSL 95-99 (most of the matches would've been called by Williams on SBS)
- Euro96/98 World Cup SBS broadcasts (Williams called several games at each tourney)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[YOUTUBE]onsdJZC3hxo[/YOUTUBE]

The winning goal in the '98 NSL Grand Final, as called by Paul and Johnny Warren.

Oh Boutsi, imagine how the hard the nicey nice people behind the A-League would have been on him if he'd been done for being a getaway driver in a robbery these days.

That's what the A-League needs..characters like Markovski, Boutsi, Kalugeracos, Abis Saad. It's so sanatised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back