Socceroos RIP Pim Verbeek

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I’ll be honest I never really liked Pim as our national coach, his style was very boring through it did get results in qualifying. I could never forgive him For how he got his tactics and line up so horribly wrong for the Germany match back 2010.

but it’s never good to hear another life taken by that devil disease called cancer.

R.I.P Pim Verbeek

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
The outpouring of grief is overwhelming.
It genuinely is, multiple people who would have only met him during his coaching stint here referring to him as one of their greatest friends in their lifetimes. Sad that we didn't hear and know about so much of this while he was alive.

Imagine Wilkshire puts away that chance (that he would 8 times out of 10) against Ghana, assume we still do the job against Serbia, and we're in a round of 16 match against the US. I know they had our measure a month earlier, but would have been at least a 50/50 shot of winning. Win that and make the quarters (maybe even a tiny chance against the Uruguayans), and Pim would be regarded as our greatest ever coach.

And the amount of s**t he copped for the Germany result was ridiculous. Yes, a few disastrous calls in trying to shut the game down, but down to 10 men, and we lost 4-0 to a squad probably worth about 20x as much as ours. World class sides will sometimes demolish second tier sides, regardless of tactics. Germany beat England 4-1 and Argentina 4-0 that tournament also.

Pim's reaction to result was that the tournament is very much still alive, we have to win the next two games, and that's all we should be focusing on. Craig Foster's reaction to viewing that clip of Pim? "From now on, any socceroos coach's tactics should be run past a group of ex-captains beforehand for approval" - as Bill Lawry would say, "geez you're f**ked in the head sometimes, Craig."

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
It genuinely is, multiple people who would have only met him during his coaching stint here referring to him as one of their greatest friends in their lifetimes. Sad that we didn't hear and know about so much of this while he was alive.

Imagine Wilkshire puts away that chance (that he would 8 times out of 10) against Ghana, assume we still do the job against Serbia, and we're in a round of 16 match against the US. I know they had our measure a month earlier, but would have been at least a 50/50 shot of winning. Win that and make the quarters (maybe even a tiny chance against the Uruguayans), and Pim would be regarded as our greatest ever coach.

And the amount of s**t he copped for the Germany result was ridiculous. Yes, a few disastrous calls in trying to shut the game down, but down to 10 men, and we lost 4-0 to a squad probably worth about 20x as much as ours. World class sides will sometimes demolish second tier sides, regardless of tactics. Germany beat England 4-1 and Argentina 4-0 that tournament also.

Pim's reaction to result was that the tournament is very much still alive, we have to win the next two games, and that's all we should be focusing on. Craig Foster's reaction to viewing that clip of Pim? "From now on, any socceroos coach's tactics should be run past a group of ex-captains beforehand for approval" - as Bill Lawry would say, "geez you're f**ked in the head sometimes, Craig."
RIP Pim. How the * we didn’t beat Ghana is beyond me. What a miss by Wilkshire. The next match against Serbia was a flattering result for them. We were all over them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back