Society/Culture RIP Prince Philip

Remove this Banner Ad

How the fu** does a screw-up like him hold a rank of Vice Admiral.

Prince Andrew joined the Royal Navy in 1979 as a Seaman Officer and finished his active naval career in 2001.

The Navy established a policy in 2009 that means the prince is promoted in line with his still-serving peers to mark his continued contribution to the service.

Prince Andrew joined the Royal Navy in 1979 as a Seaman Officer and finished his active naval career in 2001.

The Navy established a policy in 2009 that means the prince is promoted in line with his still-serving peers to mark his continued contribution to the service.
Ridiculous.
So a man, or woman, with 42 years of service in the Royal Navy who through effort and ability obtained the rank of Vice Admiral has to share a rank with this buffoon?
Someone who hasn't even served for the last 20 years.
That's vomit inducing.

Well, that will teach me to read the Herald-sun.

Gotta say, it is odd to me that you defend the monarchy yet trash religion. They're both antiquated ideas IMO.

I am of the opinion that most humans are inherently hardwired to believe in the supernatural to make sense of the world and life and our purpose in it. From my personal experience very few people who were raised as Christians (or some other religion) but eventually decide to cease being part of a particular denomination, consider themselves full blown atheists afterwards. They move on to other more palatable beliefs (dabbling in Eastern religions for example) including silly embarrassing stuff like Astrology. So to me religious people are understandable because so much of this world remains a mystery that science cannot possibly can come close to explaining (not at this point in time anyway, and possibly never) and religions fill that void that is innately found in many people.

The monarchy though are more often than not just a bunch of untalented ordinary descendants of people who rose to power through violent means hundreds of years ago or inherited that mantle due to their birth. Western Europe's success in the past couple of centuries has been achieved mainly through democratic values that reward ingenuity from innovators and entrepreneurs from various backgrounds, not the lazy unremarkable off spring of families who have been inbreeding with each other for generations. So the devotion to the royal family from some of the older demographic is perplexing and kind of sad to say the least. For the most part they are ordinary people (other than having famous powerful ancestors) and had Western European countries still being under their rule they certainly would not have accomplished the same level of success that democracy has provided.

The Navy established a policy in 2009 that means the prince is promoted in line with his still-serving peers to mark his continued contribution to the service
Is rooting children part of his "continued contribution"? Asking for a friend.

Despite anyone’s personal opinions of the Duke, you still need to show respect. He is the Queens Husband. A senior member of the royal family and you still choose to poke fun at this death? I think it’s quite rude and disrespectful. Australia is part of the Commonwealth and the Queen is Australia’s Queen so therefore the Duke is part of Australia too.
* the royal inbred racist family

Ridiculous.
So a man, or woman, with 42 years of service in the Royal Navy who through effort and ability obtained the rank of Vice Admiral has to share a rank with this buffoon?
Someone who hasn't even served for the last 20 years.
That's vomit inducing.

I'd air your concerns with the Royal Navy.

had Western European countries still being under their rule they certainly would not have accomplished the same level of success that democracy has provided.

You mean like the UK, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway and Sweden which are all still monarchies?

Last edited:
What's stops the GG or the Queen from not assenting?
What are the consequences if she refuses?

Nothing stopping her.
No consequences.
Nothing anybody can do about it.

The point is that the whole thing only stands up as long as the Queen plays ball. If she doesn't play ball then the only thing left standing is....the Queen.
Were that to happen it would take a revolution to take the Crown & The Crown, from her.
It's been almost a thousand years, so we're due a revolution.
The biggest failing of a democracy relative to communism or even dictatorships is that the election cycle drives short term and reactive leadership. A monarchy is a institutional tier of national leadership that transcends that issue without the absolute authority of those alternate systems.

The biggest failing of a democracy relative to communism or even dictatorships is that the election cycle drives short term and reactive leadership. A monarchy is a institutional tier of national leadership that transcends that issue without the absolute authority of those alternate systems.
What the phark are you on?

Hosting garden parties or opening hospitals isn't national leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the phark are you on?
The election cycle in democracies is a relative weakness that risks long term planning. China for example, can roll out singular strategies that can be enacted over decades whereas a democracy struggles to do that. The monarchy having some political sway counters that somewhat.

Last edited:
Is rooting children part of his "continued contribution"? Asking for a friend.

Andrew apparently believes that marshalling his able seamen onto the poop deck of vessels well before their commissioning into active service is the right way to go.

Prince-Andrew-is-unlikely-to-wear-his-military-attire-for-Philip-s-funeral-1423284.jpg

"Tally ho chaps! On the morrow we sail for Little St. James!!!"

I'd air your concerns with the Royal Navy.

It's not just a Royal Navy matter. Members of the Royal Family have a choice whether they accept the ceremonial titles. Do they use their influence to push for these titles? It's reported that Prince Andrew wanted to wear the uniform of Admiral for the funeral - a rank he doesn't hold even at ceremonial level and five ranks above his rank when his naval career ended.

Personally I think gifting high ranking ceremonial titles is disrespectful to members of the armed forces who have served the time and earned their titles by hard work and competence.

The election cycle in democracies is a relative weakness that risks long term planning. China for example, can roll out singular strategies that can be enacted over decades whereas a democracy struggles to do that. The monarchy having some political sway counters that somewhat.
What political sway? Aren't Queenie and troops apolitical? At least purported to be.

As I have said repeatedly...the monarch/Queen is omnipotent and all our institutions and systems of govt we enjoy at the pleasure of her majesty and her predecessors.

Andrew apparently believes that marshalling his able seamen onto the poop deck of vessels well before their commissioning into active service is the right way to go.

Prince-Andrew-is-unlikely-to-wear-his-military-attire-for-Philip-s-funeral-1423284.jpg

"Tally ho chaps! On the morrow we sail for Little St. James!!!"

If his seaman was that able wouldn’t there be a bunch of teen mums with little Prince Andrew lookalikes in tow? Although I guess if he’s using the poop deck..

Lol how could you be so triggered by the royals and the death of Phil bitter and twisted you lefty flogs get a life.
So if I have an opinion now, I’m triggered. And if that opinion is non-mainstream then I’m a bitter and twisted lefty flog. What a shot show. Next you’ll have me before a firing squad for not saluting the Queens portrait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back