Society/Culture RIP Prince Philip

Remove this Banner Ad

Dozens of weekly public engagements, patronages, decorated military service, untold charity work and a lifetime of public service until he retired at 98. Husband of a great Queen who steered her country through a world war.
Most of that was his exceptionally well paid comfortable job. A job that afforded him a luxurious lifestyle where his every need was attended to. Although I assume he wiped his own bum.

The question was what were his extraordinary contributions to the Commonwealth, and I think service with distinction in one of the worst wars in history counts

YMMV
True. I should have been more expansive. However the context of the OP was his regal service I thought. I assume your citing of his war service is correct. I'll await with interest the historians take on his life which will no doubt flow in the coming days.

The question was what were his extraordinary contributions to the Commonwealth, and I think service with distinction in the war that almost destroyed it probably counts

YMMV
Plenty of people have done that and died in poverty.

Which is unfortunate
It’s by design. Toffs on the top hoovering up as much as they can while the rest are told that the foreigner/traveller/brown person is the problem.

Phil was a cadaverous old bigot. Now a cadaver heading for a funeral probably costing more than the average person earns in a lifetime.

He really was just a silly old privileged foreign **** who did nothing for this country. Viva la Republic
It’s by design. Toffs on the top hoovering up as much as they can while the rest are told that the foreigner/traveller/brown person is the problem.

Phil was a cadaverous old bigot. Now a cadaver heading for a funeral probably costing more than the average person earns in a lifetime.

What's that old saying about if you don't have anything nice to say? Particularly before the body is even cold

What's that old saying about if you don't have anything nice to say? Particularly before the body is even cold
Wait are they keeping him warm? Gross. Will start to smell a lot quicker.

******* maggot
The world is a more glorious place for campaigners like this having worms working their beautiful way through the holes in his skull where his Nazi eyes used to reside.❤👍
Proof positive of how easily "nazi" gets thrown around on internet forums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dozens of weekly public engagements, patronages, decorated military service, untold charity work and a lifetime of public service until he retired at 98. Husband of a great Queen who steered her country through a world war.

Only problem with this comment is the bit about "the Queen steering her country through a world war"

Elizabeth became queen in 1952.

images

That looks like Joe Biden :huh:

Most of that was his exceptionally well paid comfortable job. A job that afforded him a luxurious lifestyle where his every need was attended to. Although I assume he wiped his own bum.
The last few years I'd bet he wasn't doing that duty.

Good for you, my point stands, he shared many of the same values of them, I was just adding the most positive thing I could to a family of leeches.

Philip was no Nazi. It’s an easy epithet to throw around at someone with a part German ancestry that you want to discredit and denigrate.

Its the life of privilege.

Old lord Mountbatten (Battenburg but changed it to hide his German heritage) managed to get Phil the greek (another one who hid his heritage) up onto & into Liz when she was a young girl.

That set Phil up for his life of luxury & ignorance.

Sick old bugger!!

“Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark”.

Christ. What gets me is that people treat this as normal.

Royalty is truly awful the more you think about it, I feel sorry for anyone with the misfortune of being born into it.

Hey little George, what do you want to be when you grow up? A fireman, a doctor, an artist?

Well tough, you have to be a public figurehead and get no say in the matter purely through the accident of your birth.
You can pretend to do some of those things, but are any achievements really your own, given the systems and people in place dedicated to ensuring your success?

An awful relic from before the enlightenment when what you could be was solely decided by the circumstances of you birth and a select few ruled over and oppressed the many.

Old lord Mountbatten (Battenburg but changed it to hide his German heritage) managed to get Phil the greek (another one who hid his heritage)

To appease British nationalist sentiment during World War I, King George V changed the name of the British royal house to Windsor. The king's British relatives followed suit with the Battenbergs adopting the surname Mountbatten, an anglicization of Battenberg. In fact it was Lord Louis Mountbatten's father that changed the name, not Lord Louis himself.

Philip adopted his maternal grandfather's surname when he became a naturalised British citizen changing it from his father's original Glücksburg which was a branch of the Danish royal House of Oldenburg.

He had English, Russian, German and Danish ancestry.

up onto & into Liz when she was a young girl.

In fact it was Elizabeth herself who wanted to marry Philip. Her parents weren't keen with her mother even going so far as to draw up a list of eleven prospective suitors for Elizabeth. Philip didn't appear on the list. When he proposed in 1946 to the 20 year old Princess Elizabeth, she accepted without consulting her parents.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back