Society/Culture RIP Prince Philip

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Sad for those close to him. 99 is a fair innings. Now perhaps you'll tell us what were his extraordinary contributions?
Dozens of weekly public engagements, patronages, decorated military service, untold charity work and a lifetime of public service until he retired at 98. Husband of a great Queen who steered her country through a world war.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
images

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
A great servant of GB who contributed much to our commonwealth. Cant help but feel his passing is the conclusion of a better era. RIP.

Better era? Like WW2 etc?

Anyway RIP Phil the Greek.

A silly bugger really. Said some stupid things at times. Maybe bored with his life long role of following Liz around & opening flower shows etc.

Thankfully Liz wasn't as crazy as him. ;)

From all accounts he was a genuine war hero

Saved his ship from being sunk in an air raid, and was mentioned in despatches during the Battle of Matapan
He was a war hero in the same way JFK was, one of those lucky enough to write their own story of wartime heroics.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Better era? Like WW2 etc?

Anyway RIP Phil the Greek.

A silly bugger really. Said some stupid things at times. Maybe bored with his life long role of following Liz around & opening flower shows etc.

Thankfully Liz wasn't as crazy as him. ;)
Better era like women in kitchens and doing the ironing, segregation etc, punishing the homos

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
From all accounts he was a genuine war hero

Saved his ship from being sunk in an air raid, and was mentioned in despatches during the Battle of Matapan

He had quite a varied service record in the Navy during World War II.

In 1940 he was involved protecting convoys of the Australian Expeditionary Force in the Indian Ocean. In 1941 he was involved in the Battle of Crete, and in 1943 he was part of the Allied invasion of Sicily. Philip also saw service with the British Pacific Fleet in 1944, including the Battle of Okinawa and was present in Tokyo Bay in 1945 when the Japanese surrendered.

Philip received the French 'Croix de guerre' which was created to recognize French and allied soldiers who were cited for valorous service during World War I and the 'Greek War Cross' awarded for heroism in wartime to both Greeks and foreign allies.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Husband of a great Queen who steered her country through a world war.

Her reign has coincided with a period of unprecedented imperial decline, with emphasis on an increasingly glaringly obvious archaic tradition that makes less and less sense in modern society and the modern state of the United Kingdom.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've got a DFC and bar in my sock drawer that my great uncle won, nobody calls him a war hero
I think by most people’s metrics, a bloke with a DFC and bar is a war hero

if nobody described your great uncle as such when he died, then I can only assume his friends and family were immensely shitty people

A great servant of GB who contributed much to our commonwealth. Cant help but feel his passing is the conclusion of a better era. RIP.

His contribution to the Commonwealth was to sire the next in line to the throne.

Back