Prentice

Senior List
Apr 8, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I think it is pretty clear that the Reds are in serious trouble - they have SO FAR lost 9 players and now we read that their major sponsor Bank of Queensland wants to cut back on its sponsorship!

Unless we pick up a player or two next season might not be good - the Reds also I understand had their lowest ever crowd at Ballymore for a Super 12 game this season and half the box's are as yet unsold (when there used to be a waiting list)

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15519355-23217,00.html

I agree with this article that the decline of the Reds is bad not only for Queesnland but also the ARU to have a poor stuggling team when the NRL is expanding with a new team and the AFL is getting stronger in the region is not good for the future of Rugby in Queensland.

Hopefully the young players will step up next season and do really well, though I was listening to the radio where the ABC sports guy said -
"Well they have alot of young players coming through and maybe in a few years they might be a reasonable team."

Latham, Flatley and Tune are more than able to win enough games themselves. Holmes, Moore, Blake and McMeniman are coming along quick, its the next level down that we have major issues, with Vedelago, McIsaac, Doherty and the like all disappearing.

Homer Jnr said:
Latham, Flatley and Tune are more than able to win enough games themselves.

What garbage. Latham can but the other two barely get on the field due to injury. Flately is a good steady player but he is no game breaker. The problem with the reds is if they get an injury there will be no worthy replacement. The whole Jeff Miller saga is a disgrace. He was the CEO, appoints himself as coach and none of the players like him. Thats why they are all leaving.

Further he gots off scot free in the press because Wayne Smith is his best mate. Could you imagine if Miller was an AFL coach the amount of articles appearing in the paper calling for his head. Reds will be lucky to win a game next year.

The Reds are fighting a major up hill battle. they've just shot themselves in the foot over the past couple of seasons.

It's a damn shame - with four strong states teams we'll go back to the top of the rugby world for sure.

look it all boils down to money. if someone is offered more money to join a different side they'll take it. thats what a lot of reds players are doing. as for wendell moving to the tahs this was because of an old mate of his lote tuquiri

Well they have lots and lots and lots of money now to buy players with players like Salior and Sharpe two of their highest paid players gone they probably aren't spending that much on players anymore.

I disagree that it is all money - in some cases it rats deserting the ship before it sinks and I think that Sharpe is the catalyst - if he had not left alot of the players would have stayed on. If it was just down to money how come NSW are doing well with all the players they are picking up.

They have now lost 1/3rd of this years Squad!!! That is alot of players and the key worry is that some of them were developing players not just old farts.

Now they are working on Clyde Rathbone but why would he want to join - he would look to join a team that is doing well especially since his contract with the Brumbies says that while he is allowed to join another team he cannot get more money than he got with the Brumbies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back