Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
The handball 1 minute in v Sturt remains the best I have ever seen.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unbelievable handball. Pin point over that distance from his knees? Insane.

The amazing thing watching those highlights is that he is essentially the prototype modern midfielder in todays game (good size, clean hands, elite disposal, powerful, goal kicking etc...). He just happened to be 40 years ahead. In fact if he was to make his debut in 2022, he'd still go on to be a champion of the game. He was that good.

joyful

Debutant
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like many I am not old enough to have been blessed with the privilege of watching him play, nor did I ever get the chance to meet him, but I am still incredibly saddened at his passing.
It is one thing to be an excellent footy player but quite another to be an excellent human as well, the world has lost a good one 😥
Have my next donation to ‘team Russell‘ coming up next week, that one will hit different I’m sure.

Not merely the greatest player to play for Port, or one of the greatest players from this state.

One of the greatest men to have ever lived.

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I had the honour and privilege to witness, in the flesh, Russell Ebert's on field brilliance over many years. His record speaks for itself.

I also recall watching a reply of highlights from that weekend's North Melbourne VFL game - you could clearly hear the oohs from the crowd moments after they realised that Russell had just perfectly executed a 50 yard drop kick - a skill that had disappeared from the game at that time.

The world is most certainly a lesser place for his passing.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know he made a significant impact across the state when he leads the ABC news like his passing did last night on the 7.00pm news and puts stories about the Cleo Smith abduction/recovery, Covid and Glasgow Cop 26 in his wake.

All Adelaide news services led with his passing. Flicked over to ABC News at about 9pm and saw on the bottom of the screen - Port Adelaide football great Russell Ebert dies of leukemia aged 72. As of 15 minute ago they were still showing it. At about 10.30pm flicked over again and a few minutes later they ran the full 4 minute segment on ABC News national broadcast that lead the local Adelaide news. Wouldn't be surprised, covid restrictions permitting, any state memorial service held for him, has 100k+ people attend.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only just realised how strong the 1979 North Melbourne side he played in was.

Wish they won the flag that year now.

Russell played 25 games for North Melbourne, kicked 15 goals, polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes (3rd highest for North that year, behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning and ahead of North’s recognised VFL stars such as Malcolm Blight, Keith Greig, Stan Alves and Wayne Schimmelbusch), and accumulated 534 possessions for the season.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Cornesey remembered that hanger of a mark in Tasmania during a State game, that WA umpire Don Blue paid a free kick against him, as possibly the greatest mark he ever saw.

I have tried over the past 18 months to see if I could find it on Youtube, etc but to no avail :huh:

I only just realised how strong the 1979 North Melbourne side he played in was.

Wish they won the flag that year now.
This post on the North board explains how good that North 1979 sides was compared to their previous 5 seasons and 2 premiership years. they were the 2nd best team behind Carlton that year but stuffed up in the PF, bad goal kicking and didn't make the GF. 9 hall of famers played for them that year and Russell was a good as any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back