Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the manager of Goodwood Fresh Supermarket hasn't changed the sign today. When I saw that yesterday I thought the following, and even more convinced of it today, that somewhere on the official funeral program they have the phrase - R. Ebert, 3 Votes.

Last edited:

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

So not on Monday - bugger.
Going away for a few days from Tuesday, so leaves me out.

Sounds like a cap on numbers anyway, so plenty of fans will most likely miss being there.

Guessing if SANFL crowds were capped at 5k this year, then 10k would be the absolute maximum allowed for this.

Hopefully it is televised, and can be replayed on the weekend.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
So not on Monday - bugger.
Going away for a few days from Tuesday, so leaves me out.

Sounds like a cap on numbers anyway, so plenty of fans will most likely miss being there.

Guessing if SANFL crowds were capped at 5k this year, then 10k would be the absolute maximum allowed for this.

Hopefully it is televised, and can be replayed on the weekend.

Yeah, I do not think everyone who wants to go will be able to get into Alberton due to COVID restrictions.

Hopefully one of the TV networks will televise the proceedings.

If we haven't opened up to the big bad covid states and they allowed 26,500 for the PF, and we haven't had a community case since then, they should allow 30,000 if they can get than may plastic chairs spread out all over the oval, the terraces, the bowling club etc and have a funeral in the round. Bring your own fold up chair if need be.

I hope they publish the route the Funeral Cortege takes, so that those who can't make the funeral due to restrictions, can at least get out to the side of the road and acknowledge it and show their respect in a small way, as it winds its way from Alberton Oval to the cemetery / funeral home.

What a monumental fk up. Russell Ebert would probably have laughed it off but this was meant to be an obitiary. Honestly, was it that hard for someone to proof read it before it went to print?

So the Advertiser have published an apology taking responsibility… thankfully it’s not a SANFL editing fail which would have been utterly unforgivable.

Advertiser sub-editor of obituaries clearly needs to get out to “live” sports a bit more ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

It's supposedly been f’ed up after SANFL signed off on the proof.

Having a hard time believing that's possible, but :shrug:

I assume it was emailed in and there was a cut’n’paste snafu somewhere along the line? Which, logistically, seems bizarre.

Last time I put in a condolence notice was 20 years ago, and I verbalised it to the relevant lass over the phone, who then read it back to me to confirm.

I assume it was emailed in and there was a cut’n’paste snafu somewhere along the line? Which, logistically, seems bizarre.

Last time I put in a condolence notice was 20 years ago, and I verbalised it to the relevant lass over the phone, who then read it back to me to confirm.

It's even more bizarre than that.

These days, when you submit a notice they send you a proof that looks exactly like it will on the page, font, line setout, everything.

It won't go to print without the proof being approved.

An entire paragraph getting switched out after approval, borders on unbelievable.

Curious to know how many times that happens in a 12 month period.....

More logical would be that the paper stuffed the ctrl-C ctrl-V, and snafl did a less than adequate/non-existent review of the proof....

Last edited:

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1977 was a bit before my time. 1981 was my first year of supporting the club, against my parent's wishes who were West Adelaide fans, but I just loved the prison bar strip so much, I could not not go for Port. But even then, my memory of 1981 is blurred. Was anyone at the 1977 grand final? I've always wondered about the crowd standing in a half circle around Ebert when he held up the premiership cup. Was that the done thing back then because I don't recall seeing that in 1981 and thereafter, certainly not now? What happened which led to that crowd forming? Such an iconic image now.
I've mentioned before that I was at the 1977 GF and can see my 13 year old self in that famous photo.

Back in those days the crowd would always invade the field at the end of the GF and try to get as close as possible to the presentation. Made it pretty hard for the winning team to do their lap of honour!

1977 was actually the last year this happened. I guess the SANFL decided it wasn't a good look and probably had concerns about safety issues as well. From 1978 onwards they placed numerous red coats and police around the boundary late in the game to prevent it from happening again. If you go and watch the 1978 GF on youtube you will see this clearly and there has been the "clean" presentation ever since. I guess with 1977 being the last time it happened, it makes the image with Russell holding up the cup even more iconic.

I remember also hearing a funny story from Rick Davies about the 1976 GF. He said when the final siren went and the crowd came onto the field, he at one point came face to face with an old lady who was a Port supporter. He said she had tears in her eyes, was screaming at him and threatening to hit him with her umbrella! He said he found it odd that she was carrying an umbrella because it wasn't raining that day and the forecast had been for a fine, sunny day, which it was.

I remember also hearing a funny story from Rick Davies about the 1976 GF. He said when the final siren went and the crowd came onto the field, he at one point came face to face with an old lady who was a Port supporter. He said she had tears in her eyes, was screaming at him and threatening to hit him with her umbrella! He said he found it odd that she was carrying an umbrella because it wasn't raining that day and the forecast had been for a fine, sunny day, which it was.

aka "The good old days"...... :D

Considering the vast majority of the obituaries in the Advertiser are for 95 year old Sicilian Nonna's and Nonno's that rattle off the 75 members of their immediate family and half is in Italian. Yeah, but Brian/Russell Ebert is too confusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Sunny maybe, but far from fine :sick:

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Considering the vast majority of the obituaries in the Advertiser are for 95 year old Sicilian Nonna's and Nonno's that rattle off the 75 members of their immediate family and half is in Italian. Yeah, but Brian/Russell Ebert is too confusing.
At least the Tiser printed a (small) apology in today's rag to the Ebert and Faesche families.

if you want to attend the funeral you have to register. You can find basic funeral details, including info about a livestream of it, and link to registration process at:

Edit; Members got an email that was the same as the article below.

Last edited:
More logical would be that the paper stuffed the ctrl-C ctrl-V, and snafl did a less than adequate/non-existent review of the proof....
That's still relying on the SANFL requesting the Advertiser to copy the format of the other obituary. I'm not sure if getting it wrong or not bothering to write it at all yourself is worse. It was for arguably their greatest ever player for *'s sake.

Shocked that the SANFL are sayng it's not their fault. Nothing ever is.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Couple of comments on the Alberton redevelopment stating the club should rename the oval Russell Ebert stadium.
Or call the new buildings the Russell Ebert Centre of Excellence.

Generally (and this probably needs to go in another thread), but we have had so many great families associated with the footy club over 150+ years, maybe the redevelopment affords us the opportunity to not only honour individual legends, but legendary families as well?

Think (off the top of my head), Williams, Quinn, Cahill, Ebert, Clayton, McKenzie, Obst, Motley, Marrett, etc.

Clearly we now have the Williams Family Stand, honouring Fos/Von/Mark/Steven/Anthony/Jenny (and I presume it incorporates Fos' brothers too?).

But maybe other rooms, buildings, programmes, academies, etc within the arena can be named after those legendary clans, where fathers, sons, cousins, brothers (and in future daughters) have (and will) in our proud past, dignified and enhanced the storied history of this mighty Club?

Article was time stamped November 10, 2021 - 7:43PM

Premier Steven Marshall offered a state funeral to Ebert’s family, which was accepted.

Capacity will be capped at 7000 to attend the service, with 2000 people already claiming spots on Wednesday evening.

In lieu of floral tributes Ebert’s family has requested donations be made to the Australian Red Cross or the Leukaemia Foundation.

To attend in person, register via https://russellebert.eventbrite.com.au. The funeral will also be livestreamed for those unable to attend. Visit the DPC website to view the event live.

Couple of comments on the Alberton redevelopment stating the club should rename the oval Russell Ebert stadium.

Generally (and this probably needs to go in another thread), but we have had so many great families associated with the footy club over 150+ years, maybe the redevelopment affords us the opportunity to not only honour individual legends, but legendary families as well?

Think (off the top of my head), Williams, Quinn, Cahill, Ebert, Clayton, McKenzie, Obst, Motley, Marrett, etc.

Clearly we now have the Williams Family Stand, honouring Fos/Von/Mark/Steven/Anthony/Jenny (and I presume it incorporates Fos' brothers too?).

But maybe other rooms, buildings, programmes, academies, etc within the arena can be named after those legendary clans, where fathers, sons, cousins, brothers (and in future daughters) have (and will) in our proud past, dignified and enhanced the storied history of this mighty Club?

I'd just be happy to have the Tim Evans and Scott Hodges signs not look like 50 year old sandwich boards that have been left out in the weather too long.

+ Tredrea. Dude’s GOATed and is yet to have a thing named after him.

The club has planned for a walk of fame type set up as part of the redevelopment. I don't know what that exactly means - whether it includes statues, monuments, plaques etc I have no idea, but the specs from architects Hames Sharley have the new big building called the Alberton Recreation Centre.

Depending on what the club has planned, maybe it can be changed to The Russell Ebert Community Recreation Centre.

Cahill, Oliver, Hoskings, Evans and others who don't have a grandstand named after them deserve something grand, but I reckon given Russell's work in the community programs and having to build in the community aspect to get this approved by the council and government funding, it would be appropriate to put his name on it.

1636609483556.png

Russell's service ...

Capacity will be capped at 7000 to attend the service, with 2000 people already claiming spots on Wednesday evening.

+ Tredrea. Dude’s GOATed and is yet to have a thing named after him.

I've named my testicles, Tredrea & The Butch (like one of those 90s radio duos) because even thought they sprayed wide of the mark on occasion, when it counted, they shot true. Plus, I would feel very much lesser without them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back