Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

"Seven's gone to heaven but he will always be our number one," well said Timmy to finish his speech.

Edit Tim's correct words "when Di asked me to speak, I couldn’t have been prouder. It came to me, No. 7 has gone to heaven, but our favourite son will always be No. 1.”

And then I looked at the big #7 and #1 guernseys hanging down from the indoor players facility and thought yep that's a great way to sum up Russell's passing.

At times an emotional service, at other times very funny, and even briefly got a little bit blue by Peter Woite and Max James.

Our current players were there, saw most of them walk to the honour guard as I sat on that side of the oval. Lots of past players were there

I noticed a few men and women in uniform - police, fire brigade and military personnel.

Well done by the club, as usual at these big events, and by the state government in giving Russell a state funeral for all of us to share in.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well done to those involved and thank you great man.

Won't be alone in saying I shed a few years and had a few laughs. Tears streaming down when they played cheer cheer as they drove off thinking how many times has that legend heard that coming off the ground and this is the last time.

Honoured to have met him and to be part of the club and community he was involved in and loved. Condolences to his family and those that knew him well.

"Seven's gone to heaven but he will always be our number one,"

Yep sums it up for me too.

Well that was emotional.
We'll never see anyone quite like Russell ever again.

Number 7 has gone to heaven but our favourite son will always be number 1.
Nice words Timmy G.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1637033217745.png

Will never look at this photo the same way again.

Great banter from Timmy G and Russell Ebert about Timmy sending Ebert a picture of him taking a hanger on his statue, and Ebert replies "Look who has the ball though".

Russell Ebert - Wikipedia

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Went there sad left happy. Wonderful tributes from all. I laughed and choked up at different times.

Went along in my bars and on the way there and back had 3 people come up to me saying they were Double Blues and North Adelaide fans but

all said what a great player and man he was. The club did a good job.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Went there sad left happy. Wonderful tributes from all. I laughed and choked up at different times.

Went along in my bars and on the way there and back had 3 people come up to me saying they were Double Blues and North Adelaide fans but

all said what a great player and man he was. The club did a good job.

Yes, I had the same feelings. I think my grandson sensed when I got a bit teary because every time he looked at me, put his hands on my cheeks and then gave me a hug.

Well that was emotional.
We'll never see anyone quite like Russell ever again.

Number 7 has gone to heaven but our favourite son will always be number 1.
Nice words Timmy G.
Someone said that or something along those lines at the funeral and made me think of these lines from a song.

Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind, but many ships have ruled the seas
They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone, but they could build another if they please
Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose
But when they built you, brother, they broke the mould

Now the world is filled with many wonders under the passing sun
And sometimes something comes along and you know it's for sure the only one
Mona Lisa, the David, the Sistine Chapel, Jesus, Mary, and Joe
And when they built you, brother, they broke the mould

When they built you, brother, they turned dust into gold
When they built you, brother, they broke the mould

They say you can't take it with you, but I think that they're wrong
'Cause all I know is I woke up this morning, and something big was gone
Gone into that dark ether where you're still young and hard and cold
Just like when they built you, brother, they broke the mould

Just back from the service. That was very well done and a credit to all concerned.

A touching tribute to a humble champion of the game and great humanitarian.

Russell provided a shining example of a life well lived and one we all could aspire to in terms of kindness and generosity to others.

Fare thee well, great man.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Yes, I had the same feelings. I think my grandson sensed when I got a bit teary because every time he looked at me, put his hands on my cheeks and then gave me a hug.

Shame on me for forgetting who said it (Russell's oldest brother?), anyway what a cute moment in the service when a grandchild says to Grandpa

on being told the news, that he glanced skyward seeing a plane with vapour trails, "look Grandpa, they're taking him to heaven".

Out of the mouths of babes hey.

The Department of the Premier and Cabinet's live link, is now a video of the whole event. Especially for those who went to the funeral the last 5 minutes has some great photos of Russell with family, friends and old team mates as well as few from his community programs days.

I enjoyed the story of Russ's pre-match meal being jam and cream on white bread. In your face nutritionists!

And how when Di made spag bol, Russell asked her if he wasn't giving her enough grocery money.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Shame on me for forgetting who said it (Russell's oldest brother?), anyway what a cute moment in the service when a grandchild says to Grandpa

on being told the news, that he glanced skyward seeing a plane with vapour trails, "look Grandpa, they're taking him to heaven".

Out of the mouths of babes hey.

As Ford mentioned it was Peter Woite. It was lovely.

Back