Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you so much for relating this, I’m very grateful.
Here is Max James in his own words talking about Russell's two examples of the selfless work he did for individuals, starting at 3.50 first with Jim the Snip and then your great great uncle from 4.30. Its worth watching / listening to the whole video. A couple of very funny stories before 3.50 and more of Russell's True Valour after Charlie's story which finishes at 4.55.

The council came around this morning with several workers to remove a 25m+ high gum tree from the footpath in front of my father's place that has been causing him hassles for the last few years. They had a couple of cherry pickers and chainsaws going and a lolly pop man to control the traffic. I couldn't help but think of Max James' and Bill Sanders' stories about Russell and a chainsaw cutting down problem trees, and that he might not have waited for the council to turn up and do it as long as my father has waited.

* Do at least one good deed to someone everyday,

* Speak when spoken to,

* You learn a lot more from listening than you do from talking,

* Never take anything for granted,

* Always visit the elderly and disadvantaged as often as possible.
I don't want to speak on everyone's behalf (especially given the fact I'm a non-Port Adelaide supporter and wasn't around when he played) so sorry for intervening again on here but I feel like the one massive thing that will stick with me and possibly many others in the wider community of the Australian Rules Football and South Australia forever (ever since Russell Ebert passed away), wasn't so the fact of his many sporting achievements & athletic dominance on the field in his sporting career and the fact that he is regarded as one of the greatest ever Port Adelaide players in its history of 151 years at the SANFL/AFL level.

But IMO, it is more to do with the person Russell Ebert was like off the field and the countless and countless of stories everyone has told about him on how kind, loving and caring this man was to his family and everyone around him in the community, as well as how he would help everyone out with any problems/issues in their life, no matter the cost/time it would take and the countless of hours this guy spent developing and creating community programs to support various charities and disadvantaged groups, via the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Especially in these times we live in at the moment with the pandemic/etc occurring, I thinks us (as a community & human race) should be taking notes and learning a thing or two or three about how this late icon lived his life (via his personally values) and the way we should help and treat one another on this planet with love, gratitude & compassion at all times, no matter the cost or time.

The amount of off-field stories I have heard about this bloke in his lifetime ever since his passing about how caring he was with his money with everyone and how he would always have time to help someone in need with anything, should serve as an inspiration for everyone to be more loving and compassionate in this world with everyone else, no matter their situation or status on this planet, cause he hasn't taught me how to be a better footballer on this planet, but more with how to be a better person in this world around us.

It's one thing to be a great athlete/sportsperson on this planet, but it's another thing to be a very caring & loving soul in this world around us.

Rest easy legend, you'll be dearly missed in the greater community.

Vale Russel Ebert 1949 - 2021 :port:

Unbelievable handball. Pin point over that distance from his knees? Insane.

The amazing thing watching those highlights is that he is essentially the prototype modern midfielder in todays game (good size, clean hands, elite disposal, powerful, goal kicking etc...). He just happened to be 40 years ahead. In fact if he was to make his debut in 2022, he'd still go on to be a champion of the game. He was that good.
Spot on

Was a beautiful & memorable day. Felt proud to be a Port supporter. Grateful to Russ, his family & the state govt for enabling so many Port supporters to share in a wonderful tribute to Russ. He will always hold a special place in my heart & I'm so lucky to have watched him play for many years. It was a wonderful time to be a Port supporter with so many great players & even better teams. I'm really proud of the community work Russ did after finishing footy, he has been a brilliant ambassador for our club. I think there will be a sadness when I next return to Alberton, just a nagging feeling of something important missing. RIP #7 💕

Mrs Dore came to Ports supporting later in life so the other night watching Russell's funeral on the ABC News she asked me "did they really call him god?"

Reminded me of some graffiti I saw on the back of a toilet door on a building site in the 70's. Some religious person had written a Bible quote referring to the second coming of Christ followed by "What will you do when Christ returns to earth?"

Below it some wag had written "move Ebert to the wing"

Here are some tweets from 7 News breaking up the speakers into individual speeches.

They have edited one or two of them. When brother Bill talks about the important things their dad told them they should try and do, that bit gets edited out.

9 at least had vision of Bill saying the first 3 of the 5 family values.

I don't want to speak on everyone's behalf (especially given the fact I'm a non-Port Adelaide supporter and wasn't around when he played) so sorry for intervening again on here but I feel like the one massive thing that will stick with me and possibly many others in the wider community of the Australian Rules Football and South Australia forever (ever since Russell Ebert passed away), wasn't so the fact of his many sporting achievements & athletic dominance on the field in his sporting career and the fact that he is regarded as one of the greatest ever Port Adelaide players in its history of 151 years at the SANFL/AFL level.

But IMO, it is more to do with the person Russell Ebert was like off the field and the countless and countless of stories everyone has told about him on how kind, loving and caring this man was to his family and everyone around him in the community, as well as how he would help everyone out with any problems/issues in their life, no matter the cost/time it would take and the countless of hours this guy spent developing and creating community programs to support various charities and disadvantaged groups, via the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Especially in these times we live in at the moment with the pandemic/etc occurring, I thinks us (as a community & human race) should be taking notes and learning a thing or two or three about how this late icon lived his life (via his personally values) and the way we should help and treat one another on this planet with love, gratitude & compassion at all times, no matter the cost or time.

The amount of off-field stories I have heard about this bloke in his lifetime ever since his passing about how caring he was with his money with everyone and how he would always have time to help someone in need with anything, should serve as an inspiration for everyone to be more loving and compassionate in this world with everyone else, no matter their situation or status on this planet, cause he hasn't taught me how to be a better footballer on this planet, but more with how to be a better person in this world around us.

It's one thing to be a great athlete/sportsperson on this planet, but it's another thing to be a very caring & loving soul in this world around us.

Rest easy legend, you'll be dearly missed in the greater community.

Vale Russel Ebert 1949 - 2021 :port:
Beautifully said. Russell Ebert landing at Port Adelaide in the late 60s was a match made in heaven, as they say. Port's values / traditions helped shaped Russell's career/life and vice versa. Need to bottle this, and ensure the tradition continues. With the likes of Timmy Ginever, Travis Boak, and many others around the club we are in good hands, but Russell's passing is a poignant reminder. I feel Port Adelaide FC gained a lot respect via its association with Russell this past fortnight. Definitely makes you proud to be a Port supporter.

Beautifully said. Russell Ebert landing at Port Adelaide in the late 60s was a match made in heaven, as they say. Port's values / traditions helped shaped Russell's career/life and vice versa. Need to bottle this, and ensure the tradition continues. With the likes of Timmy Ginever, Travis Boak, and many others around the club we are in good hands, but Russell's passing is a poignant reminder. I feel Port Adelaide FC gained a lot respect via its association with Russell this past fortnight. Definitely makes you proud to be a Port supporter.
Well said mate, and remember that everyone in the AFL community and on here will support and help your mob get through this tough time at your football club cause it is never easy to lose such an icon and legend of a club and community just like Russell was special over at Port Adelaide.

Hopefully your boys can play at home in round 1 next year at full capacity (against a quality opposition) and get to play in their Prison Bars Guernsey, as a small but also significant gesture of respect and appreciation to Russell Ebert's impact on not just the Port Adelaide Football Club on the field in his lifetime, but more for his massive contribution off-field to the wider community and South Australia as well.

RUSSELL EBERT’s wife Dian has expressed her family’s gratitude and thanks for all of the gifts and messages of support they have received since the Port Adelaide legend’s passing. Ebert died after an eleven-month battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on Friday 5 November.

He was farewelled at a state funeral in front of four thousand people at Alberton Oval and countless others watching and listening to live television, streaming and radio broadcasts. Dian Ebert reached out to the Port Adelaide Football Club seeking a way to send her thanks to all of those who attended the funeral and who have expressed their condolences since her husband’s passing.

“I’d like to thank all of those supporters and members who came out,” she said.

It was just fantastic to look up into that stand and see all of those prison bars and duffel coats and even the past players doing their guard of honour at the end.

“All of the messages, the flowers, the cards… I just can’t answer all of these back, and I’ve just been trying to find a way to say thank you for all of it.”

1638422213282.png

RUSSELL EBERT’s wife Dian has expressed her family’s gratitude and thanks for all of the gifts and messages of support they have received since the Port Adelaide legend’s passing. Ebert died after an eleven-month battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on Friday 5 November.

He was farewelled at a state funeral in front of four thousand people at Alberton Oval and countless others watching and listening to live television, streaming and radio broadcasts. Dian Ebert reached out to the Port Adelaide Football Club seeking a way to send her thanks to all of those who attended the funeral and who have expressed their condolences since her husband’s passing.

“I’d like to thank all of those supporters and members who came out,” she said.

It was just fantastic to look up into that stand and see all of those prison bars and duffel coats and even the past players doing their guard of honour at the end.

“All of the messages, the flowers, the cards… I just can’t answer all of these back, and I’ve just been trying to find a way to say thank you for all of it.”

View attachment 1291105

Really glad I went now after reading ^. Was umm'ing and ahh'ing beforehand from sadness mostly but coming home happy that day was reward enough.

"Russell Ebert was an avid blood donor" and muggins here is a reluctant donor... I really don't like needles (who does?) but my blood type is in high demand.

The least I can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surfing the net and noticed an article in the Tiser from John Halbert from a few years ago.

Had to lol at the dopey bible basher listing 3 Sturt players in his top 10 all time greatest SA footballers.

Somehow Russell found his way into the top 10. Halbert ranked him #5. His brief description noted Russ as being less sublimely skilled than most of the others but that he had a great work ethic.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:mad:

Surfing the net and noticed an article in the Tiser from John Halbert from a few years ago.

Had to lol at the dopey bible basher listing 3 Sturt players in his top 10 all time greatest SA footballers.

Somehow Russell found his way into the top 10. Halbert ranked him #5. His brief description noted Russ as being less sublimely skilled than most of the others but that he had a great work ethic.

Good old Russ the Kane Cornes of the SANFL.

Mission accomplished, Great Man.

On Supercoach I am RussellEbertLegend (18 letters max, spot on) and on Fantasy I am Russell Ebert Legend.

We’ll play this together, mate.

What a load of horseshit. Arrogant Sturt prick who clearly has little idea or let his Port hating bias get in the way.

What a load of horseshit. Arrogant Sturt prick who clearly has little idea or let his Port hating bias get in the way.

Clearly hasn't got over 1981 when Russell was BOG in the GF when his Glenelg side were absolutely flogged, Halbert was an absolute knob when he coached Glenelg

Didn’t he have Bagshaw ahead of Russell?
If he did it wouldn't surprise. Bagshaw was a very very good and gifted player but thru' naked arrogance he was lazy.

Not for him the second let alone third effort or the hard chase. If his trademark one off effort wasn't enough he wasn't giving any more to the contest.

Played golf with him a few times at Thaxted Pk and to say he was comfortable in his own skin is putting it mildly. Back in my youth at AO in a final

Bagshaw had the ball and Bruce Nyland sweated off him. Baggie then went sideways bouncing the ball while Bruce hung back.

It was bizarre as Bagshaw must've bounced that ball 5,6 even 7 times as he went back n forth across the centreline waiting to catch Bruce out

sidestep him and drive the ball deep into attack. The Sturt fans loved it, jeering with bloated confidence and cheering their cocksure idol as he toyed

with Nyland who iirc was an honest almost polite player. This grandstanding impasse was only broken when Baggie went for the shake n bake,

sold the candy (so he thought) and made his move. Maybe Bruce had had enough of this almost cruel humiliation because when he pounced his eyes

were not on the ball being sold to him but on the man. Then out of character having wrapped up Bagshaw the relatively mild mannered Bruce

buried Bagshaw into the hard sunbaked surface of AO. The Port crowd went bunta, BALL! was yelled in unison, I screamed my lungs out

and a loud voice nearby was heard with something like "stick that up ya arse Bagshaw ya show pony". Loud cheers all round. It was tribal in those days.

The umpire, had no choice but to pay the free. Bagshaw's crumpled carcass was barely able to get to his hands and knees quietly picking the grass and dirt

out of his teeth. From memory we lost that game but Bagshaw was pretty quiet afterwards he certainly took a while to get up.

If Bruce hurt him I'm sure he meant to.

Like I said Bagshaw was one helluva player but Russell had him covered comfortably. Robran v Ebert is a legitimate debate.

Bagshaw was a fair weather grandstanding figjam. I know who i'd rather run out onto the field with.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back