RIP Saintly

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard that the great horse, Saintly died this morning. :'(

He is probably my favourite ever race horse. Loved him and I know my pal Saintly Viewed did too.

He of course won some great races like the Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate in 1996.

However, it was his run in the C.F.Orr Stakes in 1997 when he was first up that was my favourite ever run of his and probably any other horse. He won from a hopeless position with the most brilliantly exhilarating sprint over the last 200m to grab victory. I'm searching for a video of it without luck.

Sadly he pulled up lame after that run and never raced again.

Just heard that the great horse, Saintly died this morning. :'(

He is probably my favourite ever race horse. Loved him and I know my pal Saintly Viewed did too.

He of course won some great races like the Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate in 1996.

However, it was his run in the C.F.Orr Stakes in 1997 when he was first up that was my favourite ever run of his and probably any other horse. He won from a hopeless position with the most brilliantly exhilarating sprint over the last 200m to grab victory. I'm searching for a video of it without luck.

Sadly he pulled up lame after that run and never raced again.
Fantastic post in recognition of a great great great horse.

Saintly an all time great

Bart's going for his 10th AND HE'S GOT IT!!!!!

Vale the horse from heaven :'( Would have to be in the top 5 Flemington horses in history.

Didn't he also get beat by fecking Hula Flight in the Metrop?

Bart's going for his 10th AND HE'S GOT IT!!!!!

Vale the horse from heaven :'( Would have to be in the top 5 Flemington horses in history.

Didn't he also get beat by fecking Hula Flight in the Metrop?

We couldn't have him copping a penalty and Adventurous beat him in a Craven Plate too :)

He can renew his battles with 'Occy' now

Peep on the Sly still lives off the tale of the day he rolled Saintly in the Sandown Guineas!!
And we'll remembered too by me.

But my favourite, let's just say, made amends....

I liked him even as a 3 year old.
Didn't quite realise what he was going to be until the...

Australia Cup as a 3 year old.

Walked away thinking, number ten might just be coming up....
What an amazing stride, galloping action, mesmerising horse.

We couldn't have him copping a penalty and Adventurous beat him in a Craven Plate too :)

He can renew his battles with 'Occy' now
Yes in NSW that spring he wasn't quite there, am not sure if the saddle he got was annoying him (one reason given) at the time.
My own view was he was being built up for the two miles of Flemington and everything was set up for that, including a raid on the Cox Plate (the big bonus :)) and it all worked out quite nicely.

Yes in NSW that spring he wasn't quite there, am not sure if the saddle he got was annoying him (one reason given) at the time.
My own view was he was being built up for the two miles of Flemington and everything was set up for that, including a raid on the Cox Plate (the big bonus :)) and it all worked out quite nicely.

No doubt the master trainer was focusing on the Melbourne Spring, not the Sydney spring. Was a pity we only saw him once more, but after contracting travel sickness in Japan what a sighting it was.

He had a tendency to wildy mix up his form but when "on" he was incredible.

A bit like Super Impose in that respect.
And when the money was on, ie set for a race, inevitable dominance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my time which is quite a while since being a little kid,

I'd have Saintly in my top 10 horses seen. Say early 70s onwards.

• Best name for a racehorse too: Saintly
Top 9 not necessarily in order, can't quite decide number 10:

• Black Caviar
  • Makybe Diva
  • Kingston Town
  • Might And Power
  • Saintly
  • So You Think
  • Manikato
  • Dulcify
  • Let's Elope
Contenders: Northerly, Sunline, Winx, Red Anchor, Shaftesbury Avenue et al

great horse its a shame
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

so many champs have died lately. probably cos they cant bear to see most of the camels that are going around these days, Great horse, my memory of him was that he had one run then was freshened up, ran at Randwick at his second start and won and was about 30s on the tote :thumbsu: . They say he should have won a Japan Cup, we will never know but if he did i would rate him top 10 alltime. he would be top 25 for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back