RIP Shane Tuck

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Like many who played the game over a sustained time, I encountered concussions but probably nothing on the level Shane endured. I used to watch him in awe at times with his in and under work and it feels a little strange to hear how that impacted on him. Maybe we have to change how we regale such courageous acts so the law makers have their own sort of courage to make the changes needed in order to help save more good people.

theblaw makers the AFL pay lip service, the Dangerfield incident wasn’t even looked at, tells you plenty, when vlastuin got a smack on the chops in the essendon game he got reported for staging, tells you where their brains are at

theblaw makers the AFL pay lip service, the Dangerfield incident wasn’t even looked at, tells you plenty, when vlastuin got a smack on the chops in the essendon game he got reported for staging, tells you where their brains are at

This sums up the difficulty for the law makers to be brave. You will have plenty say that is letting the game get too soft. That term, 'too soft' really shits me.

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
I've copped plenty of flak for suggesting that Dangerfield, by opting to punch rather than take the ball, was of the impression that he would be tackled and therefore the strike with a raised forearm was not simply incidental or accidental contact. I believe that a photo taken moments afterwards showing Dangerfield checking his arm while Floss is lying prone in the foreground spoke volumes about his concern.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The situation was made worse by his decision to pursue a late career in boxing.

Its generally a safe sport if you're inducted to the technicalities of defence at an early age.
He would have copped a sh*t load of blows to the head sparring
seems like after the sum of all things, the man was up against the odds.

The situation was made worse by his decision to pursue a late career in boxing.

Its generally a safe sport if you're inducted to the technicalities of defence at an early age.
He would have copped a sh*t load of blows to the head sparring
Mumford and Hall will be interesting case studies to compare if they allow similar testing done after their deaths since both also have done some boxing

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Mumford and Hall will be interesting case studies to compare if they allow similar testing done after their deaths since both also have done some boxing
So true. And its not the actual fights, its the hundreds of rounds of sparing when tbe most damage is done.
No governing rules or medics oversee training like the actual fight.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Still can’t believe he has passed away as a opposition fan I loved watching Shane Tuck play

Wazza69

Senior List
May 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
2008 at Subiaco oval.My mate went to school with the WA based scout for the Tigers and organised for me n him to go the change rooms before n after the game as well as halftime.Sat in the bunker all game with Tigers extra staff.Flea Weightman stood a couple of metres away encouraging/advising the players.made eye contact n nodded but always regretted not shaking the legends hand.Anyway was an absolutely brilliant day for me on the grassy side of the fence in the bunker.Had to wear Dean Polos tracksuit top with number 14 on the back to be be allowed on that side of the fence.I think he was number 14 Anyway.long story short was an awesome day topped off with singing the Tigers song in the changerooms after.Tucky had a brilliant workman like day with stats in most columns and he was just as passionate about singing the song after a great win at Subiaco oval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
4f8b043a8338659420d605c55ac7135b.jpg

8bb7ae6afb3fbb5e07359c3a8fe60a91.jpg

3a66c9f0dd4719a06fbbc345da563630.jpg

Me on the left,my mate (Poorform supporter) standing back on the right.Tucky in full voice!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
2008 at Subiaco oval.My mate went to school with the WA based scout for the Tigers and organised for me n him to go the change rooms before n after the game as well as halftime.Sat in the bunker all game with Tigers extra staff.Flea Weightman stood a couple of metres away encouraging/advising the players.made eye contact n nodded but always regretted not shaking the legends hand.Anyway was an absolutely brilliant day for me on the grassy side of the fence in the bunker.Had to wear Dean Polos tracksuit top with number 14 on the back to be be allowed on that side of the fence.I think he was number 14 Anyway.long story short was an awesome day topped off with singing the Tigers song in the changerooms after.Tucky had a brilliant workman like day with stats in most columns and he was just as passionate about singing the song after a great win at Subiaco oval.

Me on the left,my mate (Poorform supporter) standing back on the right.Tucky in full voice!

The game that saw people know about Pup for the first time.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
This news today should be a game changer for the afl in now they deal with concussion , Danny Frawley and tucky were both severely impacted. BY CTE, so much work needs to be done on this
yep! unfortunately there have been media savvy cretins like newman who have held progress back.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
will take a class action before sports organiastions change
I don’t agree with this thinking . Organisations are taking it very serious . Players are tested at all levels with the slightest of concussion .
The negative impact on society from
people who do not or have not played sport far outweighs those who suffer from CTE , which incidentally can occur through means other than playing sport .
People are being found to have had CTE who have never been knocked out through their sporting career and whilst that have been knocked out regularly have been found to have not had severe CTE.
Yes sport can have a negative impact on your life by way of life long injuries but it can have a massive positive effect on society .

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the general football population is accepting of concussion rules

in a low grade footy game our best player copped a knock on the head that seemed innocusious
but there was some blood coming thru his hair
into the change rooms to clean up the blood
he didn't seem quite with it
told him , I'm calling it , you're out for the game and I want you to be taken to hospital
he accepted it , his mother was there by chance ,spoke to her said monitor and if the slightest doubt take him to hospital , best he doesn't drive home
so they had enough friends there to get his car home
told the coach , he accepted it
never heard any mutterings of over reacting and s**t we could have used him back out there

everyone was very accepting that the players health comes before the game

the other matter that escapes me is how shane was allowed to box with such a major health issue.

the extent of the issue wasnt understood back then

just look at how much the opinions on concussion have changed re: the NFL in the last 10 years

Good photo. That’s me behind Richard Tambling next to Rex Chadwick who sadly passed last year.

Haere Ra

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
the extent of the issue wasnt understood back then

just look at how much the opinions on concussion have changed re: the NFL in the last 10 years
the damage concussive injuries cause was well known and, as i understand it, blood tests have been available that can detect the extent of this sort of brain injury for some time. his family have said they detected changes in his behaviour over a period.

guess i am showing my colours re boxing. should be banned.

Back