RIP Shane Tuck

the damage concussive injuries cause was well known and, as i understand it, blood tests have been available that can detect the extent of this sort of brain injury for some time. his family have said they detected changes in his behaviour over a period.

guess i am showing my colours re boxing. should be banned.

This type of injury cannot be confirmed until after death. That's the problem (esp with sportspeople who lie about symptoms to keep playing)

That's why they brought concussion tests in, but even those are gamed by players (heard some do the base line test after deliberately getting whacked to create a false baseline)

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
This type of injury cannot be confirmed until after death. That's the problem (esp with sportspeople who lie about symptoms to keep playing)

That's why they brought concussion tests in, but even those are gamed by players (heard some do the base line test after deliberately getting whacked to create a false baseline)
the extent maybe ned, but it's not true that it can't be detected before.death at least that's what was reported on the radio today. there are a variety of blood tests available. anyhow, it's a sad end to someone so young.

the extent maybe ned, but it's not true that it can't be detected before.death at least that's what was reported on the radio today. there are a variety of blood tests available. anyhow, it's a sad end to someone so young.

We are not talking a standard concussion, but the presence of permanent brain damage.

Tucks family didn't have this confirmed till autopsy. Don't you think they would have done this via blood test if it was available?

The tucks are establishing a charity just for this purpose (to raise money to fund research to diagnose prior to death). Again, if a blood test does it today, why do all that?

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
We are not talking a standard concussion, but the presence of permanent brain damage.

Tucks family didn't have this confirmed till autopsy. Don't you think they would have done this via blood test if it was available?

The tucks are establishing a charity just for this purpose (to raise money to fund research to diagnose prior to death). Again, if a blood test does it today, why do all that?
that's what the medico on the abc was referring to when he said kids under 12 shouldn't play contact sport and that aggressive contact should be avoided at training in other circumstances. there is much more knowledge out there on the cumulative effects of small head trauma than you are suggesting.

that's what the medico on the abc was referring to when he said kids under 12 shouldn't play contact sport and that aggressive contact should be avoided at training in other circumstances. there is much more knowledge out there on the cumulative effects of small head trauma than you are suggesting.

Again, why did the tucks not confirm this if a simple blood test could have confirmed it for them?

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond

CTE is only diagnosable after death. Other types of Brain damage, sure maybe, but where we at the moment CTE can only be diagnosed by studying the brain tissue itself.

fake tyrone

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Warrington Wolves, ACF Fiorentina
There are currently no credible tests that can diagnose CTE in a living person. This may (and hopefully will) change in the future but as of right now it can only be diagnosed after an autopsy. I've noticed that some news websites are a bit misleading with how they report on CTE and there is a former pro wrestler who has stated that he has CTE on camera but unfortunately the science just isn't there yet despite what some might claim.

tigerisland

All Australian
Jun 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
I hate this argument that we did not know the dangers of concussion during Tucky’s career. We did. Just chose to ignore them. Check out Sidney Crosby. Best player in the NHL. Took a whole year off in 2011 after a concussion. AFL would never let say Dusty take a year off due to concussion. The AFL know. This issue is so huge and the game’s management have their heads in the sand.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I hate this argument that we did not know the dangers of concussion during Tucky’s career. We did. Just chose to ignore them. Check out Sidney Crosby. Best player in the NHL. Took a whole year off in 2011 after a concussion. AFL would never let say Dusty take a year off due to concussion. The AFL know. This issue is so huge and the game’s management have their heads in the sand.

Is the Dusty example a case of profile and marketability over integrity?

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
CTE is only diagnosable after death. Other types of Brain damage, sure maybe, but where we at the moment CTE can only be diagnosed by studying the brain tissue itself.
you seem to be a health pro so i'll bow to your better judgement. it's not what the medico suggested on radio tho - ie there are indicators. and it's not what jess - the solicitor who is pursuing the case for many ex afl players - has clearly said based on the medical advice he's received. he has a barrow to push of course.

anyhoo, shane was clearly troubled and it's sad his life should end that way and so young.

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
you seem to be a health pro so i'll bow to your better judgement. it's not what the medico suggested on radio tho - ie there are indicators. and it's not what jess - the solicitor who is pursuing the case for many ex afl players - has clearly said based on the medical advice he's received. he has a barrow to push of course.

anyhoo, shane was clearly troubled and it's sad his life should end that way and so young.

Ha... wasn’t trying to be an arsehole to ya mate. Just everything I’ve read on the subject of cte says only diagnosable after death. just look it up.

Be careful with whatever Peter Jess says on anything, he is a contemptible human being, and make Toot Toot look like a decent bloke.

On AFL, I believe our industry has had its head in the clouds thinking it's only an NRL issue. Even this year on our main boards, people are still arguing CTE will have zero impact on Aussie rules (which I think is getting more deluded as we learn more and more on this)

fake tyrone

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Warrington Wolves, ACF Fiorentina

You are correct in that blood tests can reveal that after suffering a mild traumatic brain injury, an individual will often have elevated levels of certain proteins for many weeks after the initial injury. These levels of protein above baseline indicate that the brain has sustained an injury and is yet to completely recover. These indicators are not sufficient for a diagnosis of CTE, however.

It can be argued that the AFL would be negligent in allowing a player to return to the field of play before these particular proteins have returned to their baseline levels. By not allowing players to return to the field until levels have returned to baseline we may be able to protect players from developing CTE, however, I do not believe the research has uncovered a concrete causal link between these yet.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Fascinating last week Melbourne neurosurgeon Professor Gavin Davis said there's an unhealthy “climate of fear” surrounding chronic traumatic encephalopathy, especially with Tuck, Frawley and Poly Farmers cte slides as they were "not" peer reviewed, and in Pollys case, he was alledgely diagnosed with level 3.5 CTE and that number doesn't actually exist in the medical profession. Davis said in his opinion that was made up.

He also said evidence showed “30 to 75 per cent” of ALL people, regardless of how they lived their life, would present with some form of CTE if they had their brain dissected at autopsy.

It was a professional medical opinion the AFL would not want to hear.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if anyone else watched the 60 minutes and the Shane Tuck story.
Pretty challenging to watch and felt sick watching Tucky get KO'd in a boxing match.
Makes me wonder how many local footy players would have the same issues later in life.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if anyone else watched the 60 minutes and the Shane Tuck story.
Pretty challenging to watch and felt sick watching Tucky get KO'd in a boxing match.
Makes me wonder how many local footy players would have the same issues later in life.

Brilliant interview. Works with the AFL and American NFL on concussion and CTE

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty sad interview with Tucky's sister.

AFL news 2021, Shane Tuck death, Richmond, 60 Minutes, Renee Tuck, CTE, brain scan, Australian Sports Brain Bank (foxsports.com.au)

He started becoming very confused. He was getting a bit vague and sometimes you would have to ask him things three times and that’s where it really started snowballing from there,” Renee Tuck revealed on Channel 9’s 60 Minutes.

“Unfortunately we tried medication, we tried electroconvulsive surgery which is brain zapping for depression. Nothing. You would look at him and know he was leaving us, slowly.

“He started seizing up and his motor skills were going into dementia and I knew from a year out from trying as a family to get him back, I knew we were in a lot of trouble.”

and from associate professor Michael buckland:

Buckland revealed it was “quite a shock” to see Tuck’s brain when it was presented to him, because it was so severe he didn’t even need a microscope to diagnose him.

“This is the first time I’ve been able to see it with the naked eye and I was particularly struck. I couldn’t believe I was seeing it someone so young,” he said

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

A very sad situation all round. I feel so sorry for Katherine Tuck. I think this might be what prompts an inquest into the league's concussion protocols, though the coroner has yet to make a decision on that point.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond

A very sad situation all round. I feel so sorry for Katherine Tuck. I think this might be what prompts an inquest into the league's concussion protocols, though the coroner has yet to make a decision on that point.
pretty shitty of the coroner. we dont want any bad to come to the club, but at the same time if people at the club have done wrong they need to be held to account. or even if its not about holding anyone to account, just to learn what happened so things can be improved. if all they are going to do is go 'he killed himself cause his brain was ****ed from playing footy' without looking into whether the doctors treated him right during his career, whats the point?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
pretty shitty of the coroner. we dont want any bad to come to the club, but at the same time if people at the club have done wrong they need to be held to account. or even if its not about holding anyone to account, just to learn what happened so things can be improved. if all they are going to do is go 'he killed himself cause his brain was f’ed from playing footy' without looking into whether the doctors treated him right during his career, whats the point?

Would it be the afl or Richmonds fault,?

Back