Opinion RIP Skinny Martyn's old monuments

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is the thing at Arden St that had the list of members during the 90s premierships. I did take a photo of my name on something like that years ago, but cannot find it :(
It had players names on it too. I remember finding Wayne Carey's. I'm sure it had officials/staff as well. Don't remember what the qualifying criteria was though.

This is why I get cynical about these types of things....names on bricks...names on anything....its supposed to be sold as long term...in the end it becomes another short term easy cash grab because what one person thinks is a great idea in 2017 is outdated by 2030.
"A good idea, is a good idea forever"
- David Brent

Found some of my old photos, taken circa 2004 on my first pilgrimage to Arden St.
Very disappointed to hear the statues were ditched!

upload_2017-2-4_17-8-14.jpeg

upload_2017-2-4_17-8-37.jpeg

upload_2017-2-4_17-9-32.jpeg

How do you even 'dispose' of something like that... are they confirmed destroyed? maybe someone rescued them?

Looking at those photos I can see why they eventually had to discard them rather than keep them in storage, would have cost an arm and a leg to keep something that big in storage.

It's disappointing they're gone and maybe should have been offered up to a new home (though could they legally do that if people had only agreed to have their names displayed outside the club?), but If noone has brought it up since the development til now are they THAT missed?

I can see both sides of the argument, not sure to which side I lean.

This is why I get cynical about these types of things....names on bricks...names on anything....its supposed to be sold as long term...in the end it becomes another short term easy cash grab because what one person thinks is a great idea in 2017 is outdated by 2030.

Damn.....so when do you reckon my "Passmore lubb Gaso" tattoo will be outdated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree keeping the total monument in storage would have been costly. However was it photographed or videoed for a historical record.
Would it really have been that costly in the scheme of things? A few grand a year, maybe, at the most I would think.

Would it really have been that costly in the scheme of things? A few grand a year, maybe, at the most I would think.

Depends as to whether they kept the monuments intact or simply kept the name panels and two players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back