RIP Taylor Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe it, just opened Facebook and saw the news. In complete shock.
Condolences to Taylor's family and friends.

Last edited:
Super sad news as Green Day and Foos were my bands from primary school to adulthood, but you guys realise he's overdosed himself to death's door at least once before

Morbidly, it was a matter of time. I think everyone close to him realised this

Great personality and drummer, sad indeed, rest in peace..

A bit of trivia..
Those who may remember, before joining the Foo's, he was also the energetic drummer for Alanis Morissette for Jagged Little Pill era 95/96.
The support act in 96' was Radiohead. He would stand/sit on the grass and watch them write and rehearse early OK Computer during their pre-show rehearsals. Not long after that he gets hired as the Foo Fighters Drummer and we see him in the Monkey Wrench video clip etc around 97'..

I do recall this Floyd b-side/cover with him on vocals from maybe Nothing Left to Lose era?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like a lot of 90s rock fans I’ve sort of lost a bit of interest in the FF as they moved into dad rock territory and the omnipresence of Dave Grohl - who i still love but he’s gotten a bit vanilla.

I was sent this video not long after the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert ended and cried pretty much from the first two bars of the song.

This rocks as hard as anything I’ve ever seen and reminded me what a f***ing awesome song this was at the time and still is now.

He looked just like his dad, hit the skins just as hard, and even wore boardies like Taylor used to.

Like a lot of 90s rock fans I’ve sort of lost a bit of interest in the FF as they moved into dad rock territory and the omnipresence of Dave Grohl - who i still love but he’s gotten a bit vanilla.

I was sent this video not long after the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert ended and cried pretty much from the first two bars of the song.

This rocks as hard as anything I’ve ever seen and reminded me what a f***ing awesome song this was at the time and still is now.

He looked just like his dad, hit the skins just as hard, and even wore boardies like Taylor used to.

I watched the live stream on youtube. Not gonna lie. I shed a tear during this and during Times like These where Dave broke down into tears.

I watched the live stream on youtube. Not gonna lie. I shed a tear during this and during Times like These where Dave broke down into tears.

All bands who are together a long time are mates to some degree or ‘brothers’ - even Johnny Ramone famously fell out with Joey but still said when he died that he lost his brother.

But those two seemed joined at the hip: every promo, every interview, hell even their bit on the Matty Johns Show, was done together and it was pretty obvious they were best mates.

Dave projects that image of being friends with everyone in music and it seems fairly genuine but at its core it’s because he’s a nice guy, inoffensive and has been in two huge groups plus a few other major projects. He’s like a poor man’s Paul McCartney.

But he seemed to genuinely share a very close bond with Taylor and he looked like a proud uncle watching Shane.

I haven’t watched the whole concert yet but I’ll get to it

Who’s a better drummer out of him and Dave Grohl?

Going with Dave on this one. His drumming on Songs For The Deaf was electric.

I'd literally have to rate them equal

That's being generous.
Wasting Light was pretty good for a contemporary rock album. They brought back a lot of heavier riffing, similar to the ST, and I think Dave Grohl's lyrics and vocals were pretty on point.

Not a massive fan by any stretch - most beer commercial rock annoys me - but they can produce some decent songs on occasion.

I just don't think they've got a massive ceiling as a band (anymore?) and Grohl was always a better drummer than he is a singer, songwriter and guitarist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back