Rise of the Machines - Ask an IT Question Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Why another device though? What's wrong with using Chrome or Safari on the iPad?

Nothing wrong with iPad's it is getting access to it that is the problem!

My current iPhone is pretty old so now thinking of updating to a bigger screen and killing two birds with the one stone.

I pay for Kaspersky PC protection but am not sure if this is absolutely necessary.

It's just lapsed and was hoping to find out if anyone has good success with a free program.I used one many years ago but since somehow got roped into paying for it by a repairman.

I err on the side of free software and while they all have some annoyances they'll give you 99% of the coverage generally.

I used to recommend Windows Defender (Microsoft) but it hasn't been kept as up to date as it should have been.

Avira is my go to these days but you do have to dismiss popups coming out of the taskbar once or twice a day.

It looks like there's Kaspersky Free now as well, so that might be worth checking out.

I pay for Kaspersky PC protection but am not sure if this is absolutely necessary.

It's just lapsed and was hoping to find out if anyone has good success with a free program.I used one many years ago but since somehow got roped into paying for it by a repairman.

Been using the free Avast for a few years now & so far so good.

Paying for virus protection is not necessary.

Plenty of free virus protectors that do the job and honestly it depends on what websites you're visiting in the first place.

Don't follow bad links from scam emails and don't go to bad websites (Your browser should stop you these days anyway from entering a bad website).

Been using the free Avast for a few years now & so far so good.
I've given AVAST a whirl.All good so far but did notice you need to upgrade(pay) to have your online banking stuff protected.Seems a bit odd they leave this major issue out of the free version.

I've given AVAST a whirl.All good so far but did notice you need to upgrade(pay) to have your online banking stuff protected.Seems a bit odd they leave this major issue out of the free version.

Avast has a browser I use just for banking & some work stuff, very secure, Avast Safe Zone.

My pooter has a 1tb physical HDD and a 128mb sata3 SSD in the M.2 slot (Acer decided to cut costs in Australia by using a sata drive in our market when they use PCIE as standard pretty much everywhere else). I just bought an ADATA sx8200 480GB to replace the stock SSD. If all else fails there really is no skin off my nose to do a fresh install of Windows and just go from there because most of my user data and programs are sitting on the storage drive anyway so it will just be a bit of dicking around to reinstall drivers and link programs to install locations etc.

Would the most efficient way of swapping the SSDs be to clone the original boot drive to the HDD, swap SSDs and then clone to the new drive or is there an easier way that I am struggling to think of? Or would I be better off purchasing a m.2 to USB adapter and cloning the disks directly without using the HDD as a middle man?

It doesn't look like there are any NVME to usb adapters out in the wild which might make it easier. Could I use a m.2 sata to usb adapter with the stock drive removed and the new one put in its place and boot off the USB to then clone?

I would have thought that there would be more info available online about doing this because it seems like pretty much every laptop that isn't completely bottom specced is coming with hdd/m.2 drive combo stock now but everything still seems to be "upgrade your hdd to a ssd" or "how to install an m.2 drive in an empty slot" and nothing particularly covers my specific circumstances... (although I could just be searching poorly cos my google fu is weak).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found the easiest way was to put both ssds in the vacant m.2 slots on my desktop and do a direct clone through there considering the desktop was going to be the new home for the stock drive anyway.

Where i work i can sell pretty cheap kaspersky if anyone is interested (eg - $7.70 - Kaspersky internet sec 1 yr 3 device) If anyone is looking for a laptop atm i have a brand new one $450 - HP 2FG09PA 250 G6 I3-6006U 500G 4G 15.6" DVD W10 Notebook. Just PM if interested

My pooter has a 1tb physical HDD and a 128mb sata3 SSD in the M.2 slot (Acer decided to cut costs in Australia by using a sata drive in our market when they use PCIE as standard pretty much everywhere else). I just bought an ADATA sx8200 480GB to replace the stock SSD. If all else fails there really is no skin off my nose to do a fresh install of Windows and just go from there because most of my user data and programs are sitting on the storage drive anyway so it will just be a bit of dicking around to reinstall drivers and link programs to install locations etc.

Would the most efficient way of swapping the SSDs be to clone the original boot drive to the HDD, swap SSDs and then clone to the new drive or is there an easier way that I am struggling to think of? Or would I be better off purchasing a m.2 to USB adapter and cloning the disks directly without using the HDD as a middle man?

It doesn't look like there are any NVME to usb adapters out in the wild which might make it easier. Could I use a m.2 sata to usb adapter with the stock drive removed and the new one put in its place and boot off the USB to then clone?

I would have thought that there would be more info available online about doing this because it seems like pretty much every laptop that isn't completely bottom specced is coming with hdd/m.2 drive combo stock now but everything still seems to be "upgrade your hdd to a ssd" or "how to install an m.2 drive in an empty slot" and nothing particularly covers my specific circumstances... (although I could just be searching poorly cos my google fu is weak).

What the F... does anything in this post mean? "bottom specced is coming with hdd/m.2 drive...." Christ!!!!!

Want to set up Kayo for the old man but as I don't have a smart TV I know nothing about them.He currently has NETFLIX set up so wanting to know if any other equipment for his TV would be required for the Kayo ?

I've found the absolute easiest way to put Kayo / Netflix / YouTube / Motortrend onto a non smart TV has been with a Chromecast. The 1080p capable unit is $59 from JB Hifi and it runs through your home wireless network. Simply load what you want to watch on your computer / ipad or tablet / iphone, press the little icon in the app and tell it to cast to the Chromecast... done. You can even lock or sleep the device you set it up on, it'll continue to cast straight to the TV then.

Not that I'm aware of. We have a Smart TV with a Netflix app "pre-installed" and available on it too, but the interface is so painfully clunky and slow that everything gets cast to it instead. We run a nearly full Apple environment at home, and both the downstairs and upstairs TV has an Apple TV on it which you can also send to - but the Chromecast is so much simpler. My wife wants me to go get another one for the upstairs telly now too.

edit: as long as you already have a wireless network available at home I mean.

Last edited:
Well in the method I'm talking about above, you plug the Chromecast in to a spare HDMI port on the TV, select that input on the TV, and that's that. No additional software or apps to install, as far as your TV is concerned you've just got another source input plugged into it like a DVD player.

Kayo has apps for Android or IOS devices in their respective stores, or you can browse to kayosports.com.au in a browser on a computer - provided it's all running on the same wireless network you should be able to select the Chromecast from within any of those methods of loading Kayo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back